A strange silence .....

woolybanana

Well, you didn't say anything.

I think, with the non-stop coverage and theorising that has gone on since, on TV, radio, and in the press, that everyone and his dog has got in their ten pence worth and that there is very little left to say.

Well I was planning to go to London this weekend and I'm still going. The best thing you can do with terrorism is to not allow yourself to feel afraid and not allow it to divide people. My own cure is that I will extra nice and helpful to whoever I meet.

I think some things go without saying, woolyb.

I just feel sick and very sad, I suppose it was inevitable that something would happen in London, and I suppose it's inevitable that it is going happen again and again and more innocent people's lives and happiness will be destroyed.

As someone said, you do get inured to it all ... and life continues.  I used to work just down the road in Vic St, and often walked that way ... full of tourists and commuters, pavements always full, and the concrete blocks protecting the Houses of Parliament are on the "other" side, by the gardens ... so Westminster Bridge was a very easy target. And the entry gate, though manned by security and police was a photo target and full of tourists who the bobbies always tried to help. .... so in one respect, though loss of life is not ever good, it could have been so much worse. 

Having lived through the IRA and all the other terrorists stuff whilst in London, there is nothing to do but carry on and not let it change your life any more than the increased security will do.  Stable doors though, comes to mind.

[quote user="lindal1000"]Well I was planning to go to London this weekend and I'm still going. The best thing you can do with terrorism is to not allow yourself to feel afraid and not allow it to divide people. My own cure is that I will extra nice and helpful to whoever I meet.[/quote]

Is that for your anti-Brexit protest?

Your movements may be  restricted.

There are no plans to cancel the March at the moment. the route around parliament may be altered but marches are always subject to that. Most of the route is through routes sealed off to traffic.There is also discussion as to whether the float with TM about to commit suicide is actually appropriate and the Greater London Authority are advising. To not take part in a legal protest would be surrendering to terrorism, but the police could decide to cancel, Trouble is it's probably too late to stop people turning up anyway so safer for it just to go ahead.

I am also planning on shopping and visiting friends.

Norman, EB and ET

A quick google translate gives

"Whereof one can not speak, thereof one must be silent".

There are too many terrorist/racist incidents of all types. To give one more attention than another, in my opinion, is wrong. They are all very wrong,

I do believe however that those who remain silent against wrongdoing of any description is culpable.

NB - The computer never lies !!!!

This is the sort of other terrorism that doesn't normally get mentioned.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.779087

Am surprised that its in a mainstream (albeit left wing) Israeli newspaper.

Follow up will be no doubt be what is called hasbara perhaps.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Perhaps condolences for those who were murdered, at least? I offer mine together with deep down, controlled rage.[/quote]I'm sure we all feel that Wooly but see no reason or purpose in vocalising it especially on a totally insignificant niche forum where nobody actually affected by it is ever likely to see it.

Do it for yourself if it assuages a personal need but please don't berate those who choose empathise in private.

I used to work at Blackfriars in London during the IRA days. We often had bomb scares at the train stations and on one occasion I remember I had been late night shopping at Oxford Street on a Thursday evening, I caught the usual train home and as I got off the train I heard an explosion. I later found out that Selfridges had been bombed and I had been there just half an hour before.

The next day I got up and went to work again as though nothing had happened.

I do feel for all the families and friends of people caught up in the attack this week. Somehow, back in the 70s we coped with it, almost expected it but the terrorists of today use totally different means of causing harm.