Macron shows May what leadership means

NormanH

YES!  I heard him make that speech on the tv.

Also heard TM's limp statement that she telephoned Trump last night to express her "disappointment".  Good job I am nowhere near this pathetic woman because I'd have a hard struggle with myself not to shake her till her teeth rattle[6]

Don't know if it will achieve anything, DB.  However, sometimes it is necessary to protest volubly and publicly.

A bit like the manifestations in France......might not achieve much in real terms but it allows people to stand united against perceived injustice and make the politicians at least sit up and take notice.  History has also shown us that sometimes verbal protest alone can bring results, ref the suffragettes and Ghandi for Indian independence.

Who knows, but it had to be done.

Good politics is about making your position clear and standing up for what you believe in. If nothing else, it wins you respect, creates solidarity and encourages third parties consider or reconsider their own position.

Now that it's clear who's on which side and who's sitting on the fence, it can be taken from there.

You could say what is the entire UK election campaign achieving, after all it's only words. And I would agree with you there.

Draytonboy wrote

And the letter to Trump will achieve what?

Good question given that I have seen no evidence that he can read and some of his tweets (or is that twits) show that writing is a challenge. However I suspect that some of those around him do have command of both faculties. Perhaps they can relay the messages to him.