is this the Brexit plan all along?

mint

[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4658732/May-storm-Brexit-talks-boost-ratings.html[/url]

OH has said for months that that is the May strategy.  He's either more realistic or more cynical than I am.

Well if as suggested it is to improve her ratings since the GE, it can only have been a strategy for 3 weeks rather than months.

If however she wants to be the iron lady 2, then yes this could have been a longer term strategy. In which case she is going to totally (excuse the French) ***k up the UK economy.

Andy, OH thinks that this has been the plan all along, to not agree to any of the negotiations and walk away.

I think that possibly they are saying this now because they have no plan.

Either way, do you think, to coin a phrase, no plan is better than a bad plan?[6]

To be really cynical,I think the stratagy is to lose every vote going so that it won't be the conservative party in power when march 2019 comes around,that way it won't be their fault that Brexit didn't work out.

To be nasty, I could say look what happens when you have the product of a grammer school in power, but I won't

[quote user="richard51"]And Normans comment is the sort of bullying that is learned in grammar schools and carried into later life.[/quote]

Norman's  comment was a reply by someone who has spent a long time correcting such mistakes, defending Grammar schools against  a snide comment; not a unwarranted  bullying attack on someone weaker.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="richard51"]And Normans comment is the sort of bullying that is learned in grammar schools and carried into later life.[/quote]

Norman's  comment was a reply by someone who has spent a long time correcting such mistakes, defending Grammar schools against  a snide comment; not a unwarranted  bullying attack on someone weaker.[/quote]

Nice one NormanH! Love it. Stick the boot in my son.

Well I would say that wouldn't I being the 'sinister' ' yob' that I've been labelled of late.

http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/i/t/Bullying-and-harassment-in-the-workplace-a-guide-for-managers-and-employers.pdf

Third bullet point.

My PhD is in a scientific subject so minor technicalities of writing are of little import to me - it's a matter of getting the meaning across. I got a 1 in GCE English (1-9 then) and that has stood me in reasonable stead. Grammar was only a minor component of the English taught to me in school but I must admit it was a Technical High School rather than a grammar.

There is no proof whatsoever that grammar schools improve matters. Anybody with ability will be able to do OK/well in a comprehensive setting provided the decent teachers aren't creamed off by public schools. They will also be more rounded in terms of social behaviour and attitudes which I think was the point made before the intervention of Norman!

As an additional comment, isn't it interesting how other "people" jump on the bandwagon in this thread and "stick the boot in".

"People" in this context are those who won't defend the victim but ally with the bully - worse IMHumbleO.

Classic behaviour.

Play nicely kiddies.

Personally, I respect most of all those who are intelligent and good at what at they do, and whose other skills eg literacy are also good as well - "le petit plus".

Second to that, I respect those who are equally intelligent and good at what they do.

That's not sticking the boot in, it's my reaction. I can't be doing with chips on shoulders. Poor literacy is not something to be proud of and it's not something to be particularly ashamed of. Good literacy is a quality worth having, but a person either has it or doesn't have it, like a pretty face, good social skills, good business sense, a good scientific brain, a kind heart and a generous nature, etc. None of us is perfect.

You have to laugh, when a forum member quite rightly points out the irony of a post berating grammar schools, containing numerous spelling mistakes, Richard51 deems this to be bullying.

They however think its funny to call a member of HM government a slug, and pouring salt on them is somehow funny??

Liberalism is clearly a mental disorder. ;-)

Again from ebaynut a demonstration of ganging up with the bully. Passing bullying over as just playground stuff is also classic behaviour.

Have you actually read the acas document that I referred to? Bullying is not only about physical violence. Norman's post was certainly meant to ridicule and demean and not merely to point out a grammatical mistake. That is a form of bullying which is in my experience prevalent in grammar/public school types though I admit I am generalising.

On the other hand physical bullying is probably more prevalent in other schools.

richard, we were talking about spelling, not the rise of the Fourth Reich.

Given the availability of spell checkers, most poor spellers do not show or do not need to show. However, at the level of the PhD, poor spelling could only be described as carelessness and therefore not acceptable.

As to bullying, no, don't agree; whatever OU type definition you have come up with does not hold water. Being a stickler for spelling or sensible grammar is not bullying.

However, spellings do change(evolve) and that is acceptable.

A bit of context:

crack posted

"To be nasty, I could say look what happens when you have the product of a grammer school in power, but I won't"

so the intention was to belittle Mrs. May for the fact that she had been to Grammar school, not,as the previous PM, Eton.

I found that snobbish and so pointed out indirectly the irony of making a criticism of her education while at the same time making a spelling mistake.

I would not normally pick those up (I make typos as anyone can see if you bother to trawl through my 9000+ posts), but I did in this case because of the context I have just mentioned.

Is that bullying? I don't think so since I  am not in a position of power over other posters. It might be ridicule, but that is just a rhetorical device, and it is invited by the very snobbery of the post I reacted to.

(By the way the thread up to that point had nothing to do with Grammar schools,  despite the assertion that"Anybody with ability will be able to do OK/well in a comprehensive

setting provided the decent teachers aren't creamed off by public

schools. They will also be more rounded in terms of social behaviour and

attitudes which I think was the point made before the intervention of

Norman!

"

No it wasn't but crack's post brought up the issue by implying that the products of Grammar school education are less worthy than those of Public Schools.

Does spelling matter? Not if accuracy doesn't either.

" minor technicalities of writing are of little import to me" is  your value judgement in this area, but I presume you would be less  tolerant of approximations in numbers and statistics.

I actually got the complete opposite impression about the Crack post. There is no reference to public schools at all and hence I see no belittling of Maggie May from that point of view. I have no previous knowledge of Cracks politics. Your response, in that light, was in my opinion not appropriate.

In terms of being tolerant of approximations - well approximation is ubiquitous in numbers, statistics and science in general. One has to, however, be accurate in quantifying the tolerance or approximation of whatever.

To my knowledge ACAS is not connected to the OU. If the OU reference was a snide comment to me then you are way off the mark.