Passports

NormanH

Have a look at the EU flag and then look at the example of the new passport on the government website. In fairness though it is actually the same colour as the USA passport. It definitely is not the same colour as my old British passport which to me looks far more black than blue.

Nick P: a visa is a stamp in your passport, normally obtained in advance (though not always) which frequently involves sending or taking your passport to the local consulate of the country you plan to visit before any visit is undertaken. Back in the day, this used to be the case for UK citizens wishing to visit the USA.

The US visa waiver system allows citizens of certain countries to travel to the USA without a visa and obviates the need for you to submit your passport in advance to have the visa inserted. You apply online for the waiver (as you are aware) and you still have to pay for the privilege. However, unlike a visa, which is generally only valid for a single entry to the country you're visiting (multiple-entry visas are available for some countries but cost more than single-entry) a US visa waiver, once you've got it, allows you to make as many separate visits to the US as you wish for the period of its validity, which is currently two years.

Many thanks for the explanation Betty , but, if you are working in the USA you still need a visa so UK residents can't just walk into the USA. Also a waiver only allows you 90 days. Looks like we're both right which is a good thing in this festive period. Happy New Year.

Ha ha - both technically wrong. Under the US waiver program one can apply for a travel authorisation. ESTA stands for electronic system for travel authorisation.

Australia, I believe, also has a similar electronic system but calls it a tourist travel visa.

Even if you are just transiting through the US make sure you apply through ESTA. We had a very worrying time at manchester airport this year when we were travelling through Atlanta. A travel permit is still required when just passing through and it was just about possible, with the aid of airline staff, to apply electronically and get pretty much immediate travel authorisation even though our previous ESTA had expired.

Also, when applying electronically make sure you don't pay for a third party taking an unnecessary cut by going to the wrong website.

Having travelled to the USA twice on the same visa waiver application within a two year period, I am aware that you can use the same visa waiver more than once, which I believe is what I wrote. The fact that you are restricted to a 90-day stay is something I didn't mention, but I'm unsure how that makes me "wrong" . Of course, if you are working in ANY country, there are different rules which apply (always assuming that you are intending to conform to the legislation and not sneaking in with a tourist visa and doing a spot of under-the-radar work).

Nor do I understand how I'm "technically" wrong for failing to enter the specific name of the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation, which in common parlance is, I still maintain, known as the visa waiver system and obviates, as I clearly explained, the need to submit one's passport to the Consulate to obtain a visa stamp in one's passport.

As someone who filled two 90-page passports on average every couple of years with visas for various countries in the course of my work, I am fairly confident I know a visa when I see (or apply for) one, but by all means continue to have at it with he semantics. I'm off on hols in the morning so I'll be taking my visa-free red EU passport for a spin and probably won't be troubling you any further.

I was merely saying that one does not apply for a "waiver" but for an authorisation. With your experience in travel I assume you are pedantic in your arrangements.

Just trying to travel through the US and one can be caught out if one does not apply for an authorisation. This I consider to be a positive contribution to the thread.

In all this 'fuss' and a bit of bad temper about the difference between 'visa' and 'waiver' etc etc - and the talk of using an eu passport for 'freedom of travel' -

haven't we all over-looked one point ?

Take a flight, from any point in europe including the UK - and your name and your passport number HAS to be given 24 hours BEFORE flying - so that the passport/name can be checked.   Done electronically - but checks are made.   Doesn't that also apply to all ferry crossings in and out of the UK as well (admit I'm not sure but would be surprised if not).

So the idea of 'free to travel' has the caveat - as long as the authorities have no problem.   So in essence there are checks made on every european flight on the passengers on that flight.   Those checks surely mean that there is an unseen, unacknowledged 'visa' check going on behind the scenes  !!

Just a thought .......(and a bit of stirring !!) -

Chessie

Well it certainly applies to Eurotunnel crossings, or they would have you believe by the sheer volume of scary reminders that they send you telling you that unless you submit full Advanced Passenger Information (API) for all passengers you will be at the minimum delayed and may not be able to travel.

I've lived in France long enough to smell a scare tactic intended in lieu of anything concrete to achieve compliance by 99% and so did my usual and ignored all the hoop jumping invitations, I have travelled dozens of times without giving any API, never delayed and most of the time without my passport even being perused except for the time when I took French friends on a €20 E/T day return, I let them book it to give them experience and confidence to perhaps go on their own the next time (some hope!) they were panicked and insisted on giving the API I refused to give mine, they got the 3rd degree at border control, I was ignored, my passport at that time had been expired for nearly a year.

I suspect its the same story with the Airlines, the rules say that they must request the info, probably youman rights say they dont have the right, they ask for it, collate it if given and they have done their bit, I would not take the risk on a flight though and would give the info.

Well the UK is not part of Schengen and as an Island it essentially has borders with every country in the world. You cannot fly with a document that does not match your ticket from any non UK airport and data has been checked for years. When the London Bergerac flight arrives in Bergerac all passports are checked, taking at least 40 minutes, sometimes longer. People coming in on the flight from Rotterdam are not checked. That is the difference between Schengen and non Schengen traveling and with the new EU security measures designed to increase security of the Schengen external borders this is expected to get more stringent.

You can take your chance at Eurotunnel if you want, but my guess is that now they have your car registration details as a regular user they know who you are anyway. If you suddenly turned up with 5 passengers you might have a different experience. Of course the tunnel and ferry terminals do have a manpower problem in that there were not enough border staff to enforce the regulations. Apparently they are recruiting to cope with the extra work post brexit.

Bordeaux airport seem quite stringent. My flight was diverted to take off from Bordeaux rather than Bergerac a while back and everyone going through the French customs point was checked off. Two passengers did not have the correct documents with them and were not allowed through the departures. This was in the little Billy departure gate, not the main one. The new post brexit passport will look exactly like the old one except it will be a bright blue colour. It won't be any more iconic than the current one.