The NHS...is it that bad ?

alittlebitfrench

I actually meant that the french health service sends forms out forms to get the insurers involved, once it has been stated that there has been 'an accident' in France.

And now you have raised something that I had not thought of, that this payment will be picked up by the EHIC card and the french dog's owner will get away with it. And we british tax payers will pick up the bill..........ah well! Interesting though!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just thought of an interesting question.

My wife and I live in France and have a carte vitale + mutuelle. We also have an EHIC which, although issued from Newcastle, is only valid outside France ( I think that's correct ).

We are visiting UK very soon, if one of us ends up seeing a doctor or even ( heaven forbid ) ends up in hospital, what happens money-wise.

We asked Newcastle that when first issued with UK EHIIC cards even though we are fully in the French system. I had emailed them and got an email back very quickly to say that we should use the EHIC card in the UK!!! I printed their reply and keep it with us when in the UK.

[quote user="powerdesal"]I have just thought of an interesting question.

My wife and I live in France and have a carte vitale + mutuelle. We also have an EHIC which, although issued from Newcastle, is only valid outside France ( I think that's correct ).

We are visiting UK very soon, if one of us ends up seeing a doctor or even ( heaven forbid ) ends up in hospital, what happens money-wise.[/quote]

If anyone asks use your EHIC.

I pay an additional premium on top of my motorcycle insurance to cover medical care. It costs very little.

Husband heard a sad story when he flew over to the UK last week. The man in the next seat told him he was english, with a french wife, but was only covered by an E111 healthwise (?). He had developed lung cancer, and wondered whether his E111 would cover treatment in France, or he should appeal to the NHS.

Not sure where he worked though, he was under retirement age.

IMHO those who are now totally in the French system should not be given a health card for the UK. France being paid so should pay!

Big problem is that health care in UK depends on residency for other nationals whereas it doesn't for EU nations. Rules should be the same as other EU countries.

I don’t understand your logic. At the moment most expats who are in the French health system are able to have an EHIC Card, issued by France, that provides them with medical cover in other EU countries. The exceptions are those people who are eligible for an S1 and have their healthcare paid for by the UK. Their EHIC card comes from the U.K. and like the French issued cards is for use outside of France. Why should France ‘pay’ for those cards? The U.K. is picking up the bill.

[quote user="richard51"]IMHO those who are now totally in the French system should not be given a health card for the UK. France being paid so should pay![/quote]

France no longer receive a fixed payment per head for UK pensioners using the French health service.

France now bills the UK for the actual cost of their treatment.

Since this change took place, EHICs for pensioners living in France have been issued by the UK instead of by France.

To summarise.

For UK pensioners treated by the French health system, France invoices the UK for the actual cost of the services they receive.

So, for treatment outside France under an EHIC, there is little point in a third country billing France, who then bill the UK.

So EHICs for pensioners living in France are issued by the UK, so that emergency treatment they receive in third countries is billed to the UK.

It seems more efficient for the UK to pay the third country directly.

Edited on 23/01/2018 to make as clear as possible.

As far as I am aware an EHIC will now only cover for exactly the same sum as a french person would get reimbursed, the NHS I have been told are tightening up.

Patf, surely if this bloke is living in France he will have had his health care sorted, there has not been any E111 s for ages.

IF he becomes a British resident then unless, as happened with us, he has french income and would need a french S 1 he would automatically be in the NHS. If he is a french resident, then it is up to him to sort out with the french. Cannot see what the NHS has to do with this in that case.

If his wife is french, and they live in France, and she is in the french health system, then she should have her husband on hers.

Not as if language could be a barrier.

IF she is not, then it would seem that they are in the c aca.