Winston Churchill

richard51

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harnster - NO that was not where I got it from.

But thanks for the reference.

WB (rather too right wing for me) will be honest enough to confirm that this india issue was raised on this forum, I think before that reference.

Nb Why do you think that it was incorrect BTW?

NB that reference is a good example as to why the UK will not get too many favours from past colonial countries - again the result of right wing ideologists (imperialists etc)

NB2 my first knowledge of WC was how wonderful he was. Though nort a historian, my basic instinct is to always question what I am told - sadly not everybody takes that approach!

Lindal wrote: "We've got plenty of modern day despots to worry about".

I would not describe homeless FE forum members as depots? Well yes, some perhaps.

Don't worry, they will find another forum.

Or maybe a park bench in the Dordogne to wine on. Lol

I could imagine drunken Brits in a park in Sarlat rambling on about about living in France. "I used to be a important you know". "I was an executive". "And now look at me". "I run a fecking Gîte....with no customers". "And don't get me started about French plumbers".

There is a growing trend to re-visit history and look again with 21st century eyes at events and people. In many southern states in the US statues of confederate generals are being taken down and across the country sports teams with names associated with Native American tribes are being encouraged to re-name.

IMO why should learn from history not rip it to pieces.

I was brought up by parents who almost worshipped "good old Winne". Recent history was not on the syllabus at school.

When I first met my late husband's maiden great-aunts who lived in a small farm on the edge of the moors in the West Riding and were very straight-laced old-fashioned Liberals, I was shocked that they always referred to Churchill as 'that turncoat".

As Brit said different times different values.

This is doing the rounds this morning -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhHB0dOVOYs

In 1999, the national curriculum for history for schools in England stated:

"History fires pupils‘ curiosity about the past in Britain and the wider world. Pupils consider how the past influences the present, what past societies were like, how these societies organised their politics, and what beliefs and cultures influenced people‘s actions. As they do this, pupils develop a chronological framework for their knowledge of significant events and people. They see the diversity of human

experience, and understand more about themselves as individuals and members of society. What they learn can influence their decisions about personal choices, attitudes and values. In history, pupils find evidence, weigh it up and reach their own conclusions. To do this they need to be able to research, sift through evidence, and argue for their point of view—skills that are prized in adult life."

As somebody who considers himself to be more of a scientist that an"arty" type subject person, I find the lack of understanding about the use of history demonstrated on here to be truely sad.

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/lords-library/Library%20Notes/2011/LLN%202011-030%20TeachingHistorySchoolsFP2.pdf