How many bedrooms?

Good morning, everybody!

I thought I'd take a straw poll amongst you all to see how important the number of bedrooms is for permanent living in France.

Yes, I realise it's a very broad questionn and, before anyone thinks what a ridiculous question, it depends on the size of your family, etc, etc, I ask you to bear with me just for a moment.

My dilemma is this:

I am viewing a property with 2 bedrooms tomorrow.  Now, I have never looked at 2-bedroom properties because I have assumed that most people, even retired couples, would prefer 3 bedrooms.  Similarly with young couples, perhaps even if they have only the one child, would be looking to have a spare bedroom for the inevitable (and sometimes dreaded) visitors.

Am I right in assuming this?  I'm asking because I am unable to decide whether just two would be fine as we are only 2 adults and 1 dog.  On the other hand, with just 2 bedrooms, it wouldn't be possible to have more than one lot of visitors at any one time.  And, quite often, having 2 different lots of visitors makes life easier because they can keep each other company and you can get on with preparing all the extra meals, etc.

I also happen to think that 2 bedroom properties are harder to sell than those with 3 or more.  But, am I right in my thinking?

My previous neighbours only had 2 bedrooms and they sold within a few months even though they had the most laid-back of French immos and they themselves weren't exactly active in pushing for a sale.

So, could I just ask you to give me a quickie opinion?  If the house is fine in all other respects and I am only undecided about the resale prospects, I might be able to overcome my reservation.

And, please, don't say you buy a house to live in and not for making money out of.  I'm not thinking of speculating on a house, I do want to live in it but one can never know for sure whether one might not need to sell it on at a later date.

Thank you for giving me considered opinions.  JJ, are you going to be the first to tell me?[:P]  Excuse me for nominating him in this way...........but goodness knows, he's not been backwards in coming forward with his opinions to me![;-)]

You don't 'need' any bedrooms at all - I know people who live in 25 square metre studio apatrments (not that I fancy it, admittedly). How many you want is entirely up to you - if you have multiple visitors and loads of junk, clearly three is the way forward. Or more, even. If, on the other hand, you don't want visitors, you can deter them by having a smaller house into which they do not fit and pay less tax into the bargain.

I'd say the resale thing is just a red herring, particularly if you're planning to do something as old fashioned as actually live in the place.

The more you have the more come to stay - if you like (and the OH loves cooking and cleaning) feeding and clearing up after a load of visitors, have more bedrooms. If you wish to encourage visitors to stay at local b & b's and not worry about feeding an army. Have 1 or 2. Simples.

......You don't 'need' any bedrooms at all .......Not realy the type of answer sweet17 had in mind.

We have purchased a 2 x bedroom but there is also a "click-clac" in the lounge. We will be converting the loft area to creat 1 bedroom + en-suite. That will give us 3 bedroom which i think should cover our visitor's needs.

If you have a large garden, there is always the possibility to buy an old caravan or ask your guests to sleep in a tent overnight (they would get their privacy and you too!)

I have no interest in anything less than 4 bedrooms but that is because of the time in our lives we're at with two teenagers, their friends, grandparents visiting from afar etc.

When they were in their mid 60s, my parents downsized from a 5 to a 3 bedroomed house. They enjoy being able to accommodate their frequent visitors and, as my children got older, (the only grandchildren) being able to put them in seperate rooms when they stay over night.

My PILs opted to remain in their 6 bedroomed house in case all of their children, partners & grandchildren decide to visit all at once (hasn't happened yet!)

Another point to consider perhaps is the case of friends of my parents.

Both are quite seriously ill but able to remain in their house with some help. This has required both to have a room on their own to facilitate medical equipment and they are delighted to have a third bedroom where one of their children or another carer can have a comfortable night when they stay over.

I suppose really what I think is that there is no right or wrong, just what suits.

Re resale, I think if you love somewhere, someone else will too. Or maybe choose somewhere with potential for extending.

We have recently turned a four bedroom into a three bedroom. My husband was dead against this thinking that it would hurt the value (not that we are or would consider selling). I personally think the way of thinking in France is different to the UK in this regard. The number of bedrooms are important to an extent to meet family needs for sure but I think the total size of the house or square meters are very important.

I believe it is also changing in the UK but for example one property could have say 150 square meters with 2 bedrooms and another 150 square meters with 5 bedrooms and they only mention the number of bedrooms, in France the square metres are almost always mentioned. Personally I would much rather have less spacious rooms than more poky ones.

Sweet17, would it be possible for a prospective future buyer to convert it to three bedrooms if necessary?

IMHO, Go for as many as you can afford. You can close the ones you don't need now, but can soon bring them into use if needed. Something you cant do if you don't have enough.

Its better to have them and not need them, than to want them and not have them.

Do you really wish to move again if its not big enough????  The cost of moving  again would out way the cost of getting the extra rooms.

Good Luck. [:)]

WJT and Eos, yes, I have thought of the possibility of extension.  In fact, in the case of 2 bedroom houses, I have asked the immos whether there is an attic or adjoining barn or similar that could be extended into.  Won't know with this particular house until I see it.

We do know that what's more important to us is at least 2 receptions as we need one room just for the piano and violins and to be able to play them away from the TV.  In fact, this is one of my principal reasons for wanting to move.  At the moment, my piano is in the same room as the TV and I hardly ever get the sole use of our sitting-room for playing.....especially now the blooming rugby is on.

Other thing I like is to have one bedroom downstairs so that you can just shut off the upstairs in the winter.

What I'm thinking, rightly or wrongly, is that the French prefer houses with more bedrooms as they seem to have more extended family and so on. 

What I'm really wary about is ending up with a house that will only appeal, for example, to Brits and not to the French as I don't think I can ever be relaxed enough about such a large purchase not to think about recouping the original price should we need to move.

Then, there is the cost and problems involved with any extension:  can't bear the thought, the red tape, the mess, the expense and worry.  Hey, I came to live in France to enjoy myself and not end up with unsuitable houses that will cost me sleep, peace of mind and dwindling monetary resources![I]

Our house had one bedroom (divided into two with no door in the dividing wall between the two) when we bought it - and it stilll has six years later as the upstairs is still not finished.  The French family we bought it from seemed to think this was fine although they too were planning to do the upstairs.  Since my accident, therefore, I am living in the sitting room and the dining/kitchen area (through an archway) is the only "public" area we have.  Our guests are limited to those who know us well enough and are accommodating enough to sleep on the clic-clac.  Those I don't want under my roof (like my mother, for instance[;-)]) get told there isn't enough room and they go to the little hotel in the village.

Personally, I think two bedrooms are a must  but three are overkill.  My neighbours opposite have two bedrooms - one for them and one for their sons.  It seems enough for them. 

Coops, I know what you mean by "overkill":  there'll just be all those unused rooms to clean and heat.

Will keep you posted if we do decide on the 2 bedroom and I can overcome my slight paranoia about being unable to sell at a later date![:-))]

We went for the big house / lots of bedrooms route - though we did avoid the huge gardens!  The one thing we learned in the UK is that, while large gardens seem wonderful they require a lot of maintenance and become a massive burden as you get older.  While you can shut the door on an unused bedroom you can't really do that with garden space.  Where we are we have an adequately sized garden (0.25 acres) but we look over our neighbours lovely countryside (farm).  That way we can enjoy the view and the closest we get to extensive mowing is watching Jacques do his stuff while we enjoy a nice bottle of something.  The house size was dictated by the fact we currently have three teenagers+ living at home.  We also both come from large families (one of four and one of five siblings) so we often have extended family to stay.  So far, it has been a good choice in that we have had some great holidays (big Christmas get togethers as well as summer holidays).  We also find it is good for rentals as we get a lot of enquiries for family reunion type holidays (and a lot of shoulder season weekend booking for French family get togethers). 

Whether we continue to need such a large house as the children move on I don't know - we'll wait and see.  Mrs R51's parents still live in their 7 bedroom house.  The place was wonderful when their children were still at home but is waay too big for them now - but, for them, it is home and they are adament they will leave only in their respective wooden boxes. Fortunately Mrs R51's father is still fit and active and enjoys the ongoing maintenance required in a house of that size.  Mrs R51's mum is not so mobile and needs a stair lift to get upstairs.   At their age I think (hope!) we would be looking to move to something smaller.  I imagine that our next move (if we stay in France long term) will be to somewhere with either two or three bedrooms (when we are too old to cater for large family get togethers!). However the number of bedrooms, I think, would be less of an issue than being in a village / town where we weren't heavily reliant on a car.  If it were a two bedroomed property then we would want sufficient living space to allow the use of a clic clac / sofa bed if needed (viz a large kitchen you could live in as well as a separate living room or two reception rooms plus small kitchen).  Failing that close proximity to a gite that family members can rent (to keep the sanity of all!)

[quote user="sweet 17"]

We do know that what's more important to us is at least 2 receptions as we need one room just for the piano and violins and to be able to play them away from the TV.  In fact, this is one of my principal reasons for wanting to move.  At the moment, my piano is in the same room as the TV and I hardly ever get the sole use of our sitting-room for playing.....especially now the blooming rugby is on.

Other thing I like is to have one bedroom downstairs so that you can just shut off the upstairs in the winter.

[/quote]

Sweets,

Is there any reason for not having the music room upstairs?  We have a three bed house (all bedrooms upstairs in our case) but one of the bedrooms is a dedicated office where the two of us run our businesses. However, it is still (just) possible to get a couple of futons in there. Even swapping the desks for a full grand piano it would still be viable.

Your ideal spec of two separate receps and a downstairs bedroom & bathroom points to at least two bedrooms upstairs anyway unless you want to live in a pyramid.

You have no obligation to house visitors.

A long time ago I decided to have just what I need, and made it clear that friends were welcome to stay in hotels or gîtes.

Since then I have continued to see people who want to see me, rather than those looking for free accommodation.

Last year I was invited to stay  in the Lot with visitors, my family came over and we took a flat by the sea, and a family visited and stayed in a Hotel.

I would go for  a house all on one level for the days when you can no longer get upstairs (see me and Coops)

Big Kitchen with a TV and sitting round the table (as the French do) a second room with your music room and second TV, a downstairs bedroom with bathroom should be enough...

Thank you for all your thoughts.  I am now certainly a lot more positive about houses with 2 bedrooms and will be viewing one tomorrow.

I'm not so keen on having the piano upstairs as we have wooden floors and the piano would still impact on the downstairs room.

We lived in a maisonette once (UK maisonette and not a small house as in France) and, when the removal men came for the piano, it was just like that advert for PG tips when one of the chimps just let the piano slide down the stairs!

I don't think my nerves can stand any more moving of my piano upstairs.  Come the winter, I might well move the TV together with OH upstairs instead![:D]

We have 4 bedrooms in UK, one of which is used by my OH for music and for his weights and exercise bike. We sleep in one, and the other 2 tend to be taken over at times by 'stuff'! In fact at the moment all 3 other bedrooms are full to bursting with bathroom fittings such as basin, taps, showerbathroom cupboards waiting to be fitted etc. I'm afraid we are both hoarders, so the garage and 2 sheds are also full. We do have 1 tidy bedroom, living room and a mostly tidy dining room, although there is a WC in there waiting to be fitted upstairs; a few months ago there were 2 WCs, 1 basin and 2 bath sides, so it has improved! (there's been illness in the family, it's not laziness that's held the work up!)  [:D] We also have a big garden and hundreds of books all over the house.

In France we have 1 bedroom, with a sofabed in the living room. We have a good-sized balcony on which I grow a few things, and which we eat on for a good part of the year; it's very sheltered and south-facing, and the awning means we can stay out of the sun. We have a small kitchen and quite a small garage. Somehow we manage to live quite happily for up to 2 months at a time in a fairly small space, and would be absolutely fine for longer. Everything is tidy, we have lots of books, which I change for some from UK from time to time, and everything has a place. There are weights but no exercise bike.

In France we generally have family to stay, and they use the sofabed, which we road tested for 2 weeks when we moved in; if I can sleep on it, it must be good! When my brother and SIL arrive next week, they're staying 2 mins walk away, as my brother snores very loudly - we won't hear him from there!  [:)]

We'll eventually downsize in UK, as we don't have many visitors there these days, and the house and garden are too big for 2 of us. I think the ideal would be 2 bedrooms, again with a sofabed. I'd welcome the idea of not having unused space that needs keeping clean; I'm happy to keep used areas sparkling (mostly!), but can't bear dusting etc in unused rooms - it's fine at the moment, as a hoover couldn't get in to 3 of them!  [:)]

Sweet, good luck with the viewing tomorrow; hope it feels right. I'm sure you're right not to dismiss 2 bedrooms, but so much depends on the rest of the space.

The last lot of tenants that did a moonlight from my UK property left me with a piano "oh we thought that you may like it" it soon became apparent that it was pretty worthless, I amused myself for a while trying to tune it with some success but it still wasnt powerfull enough to drive itself out on its own and I couldnt shift it.

So the solution became apparent when I tripped over my 14lb sledgehammer [:-))]

On the one hand it was heartbreaking to destroy something that had been made in France and probably had been enjoyed for several generations but on the other it was something I had always yearned to do, it was great fun and made some great noises and best of all I could carry the small pieces out to my trailer.

We've opted for lots of space, and 4 bedrooms - but only use and heat 2- as we love having kids, grandkids and friends around. 3 would have been the absolute minimum for us - but perhaps if we had well and truly fallen head over heels madly in love with a 2 bedroom- perhaps we would have considered it, especially if there was, or if there was space for, a second bathroom or shower room+wc. If the house and location and 'feel' is just right - but only IF. Bonne chance.

Thank you, dear GG and dear Swissie; nothing like having your friends come along and give you their encouragement, is there?

As for Chance, you are a vandal but I forgive you as there are too many of these unplayable old pianos cluttering houses.

Same as Swissie, we have 4 bedrooms. Originally it was 3 because a dividing wall had been removed to make one huge room but we replaced it and then turned the bedroom nearest the lounge into a study.

Subject to a minimum of 2 we had no firm requirement when house hunting and I think that whatever you end up with you just have to manage your guests accordingly.

In time we plan to build a small chalet in the garden which will be completely self contained with toilet, shower, and basic cooking facilities. It will directly overlook and have access to the pool and will be for us and guests, or possibly even rented out in the Summer, and will also prove ideal for OH's plans for continuing the counselling she used to do in UK.

Good luck with the viewing.

How many will that make [Www][kiss]