Quillan, former moderator

woolybanana

I am sorry to have to announce the death of Quillan, former moderator of this forum, after a series of strokes.

He had returned to the UK in extremis and spent the last part of his life in a home near Croydon, close to his family.

He was a long time French resident, BnBer, sailor, former businessman and member of the RAF.

He moderated this forum when it was, what shall we say, very lively indeed, having had to deal with some notable squabbles, and pugnacious posters, which he always did with equanimity.

RIP Quillan

(Edited at personal request)

Wooly wrote : I am sorry to have to announce the death of Quillan, former moderator of this forum, after a series of strokes.

He had returned to the UK in extremis and spent the last part of his life in a home near Croydon, close to his family.

He was a long time French resident, BnBer, sailor, former businessman and member of the RAF.

Life really took a turn for the worse for him after his much loved wife died.

I so enjoyed reading his posts, of building a new life in France for the two of them after his initial heart-attack in the UK.

So much enthusiasm .. especially when he described his BnB .. building the wooden dining terrace, which went down to the river .. him cooking the evening meals for their guests .. the bonhommie, the animals.

His view on the necessity of steam cleaning each mattress following the departure of every guest .. surely a lasting memento of his service life .. always made me think that I would love to go and stay there.

Alas t'was not to be.

Thank you for all your varied posts and your original view on how moderating could be done.

Rest in peace.

I can only concur.  Very sad news, though perhaps a blessing after several strokes. He was an excellent and informative moderator, and was sadly missed when he decided to move on from the post.  I know he popped into the forum from time to time after his departure as a moderator; he was indeed someone who lived his life to the full, and we shall miss his tolerance, humour and passion for life in France.  RIP Quillan, for it as such that I shall ever remember him.

Just popped in after an absence of several weeks and very sad to read this, Chris was of great help to me in the early days of my business, he was the patient gentleman that all describe him as, it always hurt me to see that some posters would attack him as a percieved authority figure even to making nasty comments about his faith.

I was in touch with him by e-mail within the last year after quite some absence, he told me that his wife Pat had finally passed away, I was aware of her health problems and was amazed how he managed to care for her, take her to and from the hospital appointments and still run his busy CDH, he told me that he had sold it, had bought another property in France and was at that time on his boat at anchor in a marina in North Africa and about to make a further long journey by sail.

He certainly lived life to the full and I'm glad that he did not have to suffer being debilitated for too long.

RIP Chris.