No shortages of goods in No Deal Brexit

PaulT

So they predict that lorries will be held up in ports for 2 or 3 days........so that is 2 or 3 days they cannot transport goods so, surely, there will be shortages because lorries will not be able to transport as many goods in a specific timeframe because they are idle in the ports.......

Wonder if they will install parking meters on the M20?

[quote user="woolybanana"]Lorries bearing an approved sticker will be able to travel straight through as now, I suspect but those not prepared may be held up.

Food lorries will presumably be given priority anyway.

Guess the locals here will not be sending leurs patates to UK though.[/quote]

Can you post a link to information on approved stickers.

ALBF was not a lorry driver but worked in Logistics industry both in the UK and France. He even worked at Astra in Ellesmere Port for a while.

ALBF says it is going to be chaos within the logistics industry under a no deal Brexit. But not just in the short term. Forever.

Talking of Ellesmere Port, Astra will close for sure. They cannot operate with lorries held up at ports. When the production line stops at Astra it costs thousands per minute. Hundreds of trucks carrying widgets pass through the ports each week heading for Ellesmere. It is the same for most manufacturing businesses.

It will be impossible to operate a JIT business.

It is not just going to be chaos at Dover, but also at the tunnel, Portsemouth, and Poole. They can't cope with delays. And remember their boats have to operate to a strict timetable. Where are you going to stack lorries and cars at Portsemouth. Or Caen for that matter ?

So BF are in the shît as well.

You have also got to consider that a tractor unit and trailer is only making money when it is moving. You do not want your lorry to be stuck for 2-4 days (remember there is a return leg for the lorry) at Dover and Calais because it is not making money. Also you are not going to pay a driver to sit around 4 days of the week.

So what will happen is that transport companies will decline work to and from the UK, or they raise the price of the transport to accommodate the delay.

If that happens, prices go up.

It will only take some bad weather in the straits, an engineering fault on the tunnel, a boat going out of service and the whole thing will collapse.

Betty says...sitting in the car heading north and reading the news on my phone, and lo, it turns out that today customs at Calais are practising their procedures for a no-deal Brexit.

I should be able to tell you what the chaos might look like within the next six or seven hours.....

Not a happy Betty.

Ah but wooly there is already a problem on that coast line with people leaving France.......... those crossing the channel
to illegally enter the UK.

(Just why don't they want to stay in France?????)

The french border force has done what exactly over the years........... to be kind I will say, very little, rather than the very nasty things I am actually thinking[Www], and the UK has put lotsa money into things.

So them practising........well, perhaps they need to.

I totally agree, alittlebitFrench. A 'No deal' Brexit would be catastrophic for the UK - not just because of port disruption, but because the impact of WTO tariffs would kill a significant part of UK manufacturing industry. The frictionless movement of goods that EU membership permits would be gone overnight and, along with it, the UK entities of many global businesses.

Never mind, the Leave campaign's tame economist, Minford IIRC, said that Brexit would lead to the end of UK manufacturing - but recommended leaving anyway. Many leavers think economic disruption will be a price worth paying to escape the shackles of the EU.

Course, they may change their minds when it actually happens!

Jenna (AKA Thibault)