Return to the Chateau DIY

This is a follow-on from the original series. Several british families who have bought chateaux in France and are 'doing them up'. Helped by Dick and Angel.

Quite entertaining. But these chateaux must be money pits.

We enjoy it, as much for seeing different areas of France as for seeing what ideas the owners get, and how they go about completing them.

I agree about the money pit thing though.

Some of the owners you can't help but "root" for - the three 20-somethings for example - but others....you wonder how they haven't killed themselves already.

Our place is nothing like on that scale, but I feel quite reassured about the way we've gone about doing stuff after seeing this.

I would have thought this was right up ALBF's street.

A lot of (mostly) Brits, with aspirations way beyond their (mostly) experience, expecting (mostly) to make a living from (mostly) providing entertainment and hospitality in a market that must be pretty saturated and needing (mostly) major investment to bring their properties up to scratch.

In many respects while feeding the aspirations of some others, it is perhaps a lesson of what not to do.

ALBF stumbled across an episode a few weeks back.

I lasted 15 minutes. God it was awful.

Yesterday, I stumbled across another episode flicking between the snooker.

In that episode some bloke managed to start a 10 year old rotten digger. Yeah my arsé.

Call me old fashioned but methinks this is all staged.

Furthermore, the bloke was wearing a designer white shirt that was impeccably clean. No oil stains, sweat stains. Not even a little bit of dirt.

The big girls blouse has not done a hard days work in his life.

I am SURE, that to be eligible to appear on this show you have to be a muppet.

I wish them all the best.............NOT !!!

They will all soon be back in Kensington where they belong. LOL

And the three youngsters at least have real building experience, rather than airy-fairy design ideas!

It's a very entertaining series. I just wish the producers would not show/tell us everything three or four times.

I thought this would wake you from your torpor, ALBF  [:)]

There was a chateau not far from us in France which had been bought by an anglais, he did a little bit of work then gave up.The locals were very upset when it became dilapidated, (it had some historical interest), and were trying to trace him.

The trouble is, there are thousands of old chateaux in France, mostly falling down, and even the french don't want to rescue them. If interested Google La Depeche St Blancard chateau.

In our commune of about 100 people there was a chateau with date 1794 . It was a ruin, almost covered with brambles etc.

I watched a little of the first series, but frankly, the participants are not my cup of tea, at all. So have not watched this one.

Still this thread has given me food for thought, about these old grand buildings. I know that I wouldn't mind staying in one for a night or two, just to do it.

But it wouldn't matter how much money I had (ie winning the grande cagnotte), or had not, I just cannot imagine wanting to do such a thing. IF it were in my nature to maybe try and open a hotel, then I can understand that, but the very idea would never have crossed my mind. And that is perhaps the other reason why such programs are not interesting for me.

I already live in a money pit now, a victorian house and that is ' grand' enough for me, although it was not it's grandeur that drew me, but the lack of garden, ie a pocket handerchief now as opposed to tooooooo much in France, upkeep on old places is an ongoing thing.

• 2 weeks later...