Let's save the planet by driving a fast car.

alittlebitfrench

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Why do people who preach to everyone to save the planet always seem to drive around in gas guzzling cars ??

Imagine preaching that we should all 'save the planet' but drive around in a 300 BHP Mercedes convertible.

I can't stand these people.

****** ***** hypocrites.

Fed up with these people.

I do my bit but they don't.

Discuss.[/quote]

Who are you referring to, please?

I think he's right and he's probably referring to any minor celebrity with a book being published or any singer with an album being issued. It normally is, then their PR people tell them to jump on the green bandwagon to get some press or Tv coverage.

I think he means the same people who catch planes to go and visit the arctic etc to see for themselves. And all these folk who have their meetings all over the world and fly there to discuss global warming.

So ALBF, cotton washable couche or disposable???? Because that is one thing that drives me BONKERS, they take at least 200 years to decompose and that is not even mentioning wipes too. And the number of parents I currently know who have three year olds who are not potty trained is also BONKERS!

Trouble is you open a can of worms and the whole subject is HUGE, and we all have things that drive us crazy. And we all, I suppose act with some hypocrisy, me included, as I am not perfect and no one else is.

It is not just about celebrities though is it...

Everyone is jumping onto the bandwagon to tell others that we must save the planet. But they don't want to make the effort themselves. It is up us plebs like us to save the planet.

You have Lewis Hamilton, Coldplay, the owners of another French forum website (friends of Nomoss) preaching to us all about saving the planet. All celebrities. All famous and driving stupid cars.

Please lead by example. !! Don't preach to me.

Just look what is happening in France at the moment.

The South is being washed away. And this is just the start.

Yet if you are a star you have to have a home in the South of France.

Surely, cars are an easy target. How do people heat their homes, is the thermostat turned right up, do they heat all the rooms, even the ones they do not use, how many rooms do they have - is it a vast mansion?

What I am saying is 'what about the things you do not see'?

Have a look at this website:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/

the number of cruise ships burning lots and lots of oil. How many people go on cruises!

The big cargo shipping companies practise what is called ‘slow sailing’ which optimises fuel economy. Many now have scrubbers installed which stop noxious gases etc getting into the environment. The alternative is more expensive ‘clean’ fuel as used by some big Maersk ships.

Regrettable not all shippers have done either yet, but they have to have scrubbers by next year or the year after.

Cruise lines are notorious for burning the cheapest dirtiest fuels and rushing around everywhere, though some are going over to gas which would be an improvement.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"] .............. 

You have Lewis Hamilton, Coldplay, the owners of another French forum website (friends of Nomoss) preaching to us all about saving the planet. All celebrities. .............. [/quote]

PLEASE don't associate me with the dodgy duo!

I too loathe and dislike those 'z list celebs;  it's a case of the rich & wealthy telling us, the poor working person or those at the bottom of the ladder not to want what 'they've' got - cos we're just the little people. 

How many of the 'z-list' lot are vegetarians or vegans ?  Really, how many ?

How many of those who said 'let the immigrants/refugees arrive - we'll cope' - the likes of Yvette Cooper, Lilly Allen - who said they'd open their homes to them - how many ?

H--- the whole damn lot of them, as well as politicians - and the establishment too quick to jump on any passing 'virtue signalling' idea.

OK - I'm a MAN MADE climate change doubter;  think it's far more to do with sun-spots, changes in earth's orbit/tilt, position in galaxy over 26,000 years - but at least I'm an honest doubting thomas.

But did anyone see the programme on BBC tonight by Liz Bonnin (excellent reporter - one who believes in the anthropormophic climate but apart from that...) - the programme looked at the environmental damage caused by the meat eaters.   The destruction of the Amazon to replace trees with grazing for beef - and the wholesale pollution caused by the large cattle stations in America (and elsewhere).

If people are really serious about this then stop eating meat - certainly beef.   Stop using Palm Oil - but how many products on your shelves contain palm oil - do you know, anyone looked ?

And yes, like other posters, I hate the disposable nappies, the wipes chucked down the sewage system - there are many things we can avoid - but wish they weren't available in the first place.

We can all do our little bit, but when one looks at the recent programmes about China, about their growing population, their pollution, the building of ever more power stations - I honestly don't think that whatever we do do, on a personal level, will have much effect.

Electric cars; oh right.   What about the rare metals and minerals used in the batteries;  how long do the batteries last - and how will they be disposed of ?

Anyone know?

And the problem is that with the UK trying to be more saintly than other countries and relying on wind and solar power - the experts have said it is not possible for a highly computerised, technological country like the UK - or any others in western europe - to rely on wind/sun power.    The electricity grid is set up in such a way that it needs a steady, reliable source of power 24 hours a day - with wind and sun ?   The experts state that such plans are total madness.....

I don't know what the answer is;  but I'm sick of being 'lectured' by them who don't know any more than I do - and I'm not certain that, even in my own small little way, I'm making much difference.

Cynical - who me ? !!

Chessie

When it comes to wind power have any studies been carried out as to what effect removing the energy from wind will have?

Remove the energy and the wind will not blow as far or as strongly as it did so therefore must cause a change in the weather.

[quote user="PaulT"]When it comes to wind power have any studies been carried out as to what effect removing the energy from wind will have?

Remove the energy and the wind will not blow as far or as strongly as it did so therefore must cause a change in the weather.[/quote]

That's an interesting question.

Our son is a senior engineer in the wind industry, I'll ask him.

[quote user="NickP"]+1 Chessie.[/quote]

Wind turbines do not remove the energy from the wind the wind accelerates around them causing a vacuum. The wind is caused by differences in pressure between air masses and the effect positioning of wind turbines in its path will be irrelevant within the big picture and trees, buildings and other natural features and man made structures would have a much bigger but still inconsequential impact.

- Alan; no, I wouldn't consider you a hypocrite;  if you have 3 children and 5 grand-children than you're probably of an age when over-population was hardly talked about - so wouldn't dream of giving you a hard time.

Me - 1 daughter, 1 grand-daughter.  So less than replacement rate for us. 

I can remember back in the 60's the talk in the UK was of a future 'STABLE' population - with sufficient housing, green spaces, uncrowded roads - remember those days?  It was talked about as the 'ideal' future - a stable population where the numbers were more or less known - and could be PLANNED for.   Halcyon days indeed.

Also in the 70's the scientists were threatening us with a New Ice Age in 30 or 40 years time !!   What a change.

But - in recent years - the scientists have again said that the earth is likely to have ANOTHER mini Ice Age.   Different groups of scientists - using the same flawed data - to come up with different outlooks.

Don't believe any of them !!

In yesterday's Guardian there was an item about plastic recycling - you know, all the stuff we sort out into different bins;  turns out that ONLY 9% of that 'stuff' is actually recycled.   Some it is BURNED, incinerated, in China.

The plastic pollution is something that does concern me.   If anything should be receiving serious attention it is exactly that, because of the devastation it's causing to all sea life - from the smallest to the largest.    And as 70% of the earth's surface is covered by oceans - that's a major, major concern.

As for 'climate change' - I've read some reports which have stated that such 'greening' of areas that at the moment are inhospitable, frozen solid, useless - that such greening could well provide even more usable land space for agriculture and living.

Now there's another side to the gloom and doom of 'climate change' isn't it - yet it's hardly mentioned.

Sorry - I do like to stick my oar in and stir things up - but enjoy such civilised and polite discussions.

And the query about the effect on subsequent wind strength after the wind has powered turbines is a very intriguing one.

Chessie

• 4 weeks later...