What will happen post covid19

woolybanana

Gardian, are local markets managing to open so that local producers can sell their fruit & vegetables?

I know that they are allowed in some areas if there are fewer than 10 stalls and providing that social distancing and handwashing rules etc are in place.

What about places other than the Gard - any experience anyone?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There might be some sense in relaxing restrictions on movement if everyone was obliged by law to wear a mask.

Unfortunately it isn't easy to buy them. I understand their sale to the public is illegal. https://www.liberation.fr/checknews/2020/04/20/ou-le-grand-public-peut-il-acheter-des-masques-de-protection_1785801

Many of those on sale, e.g. by Cdiscount, have a valve to allow exhaled air to escape directly to the outside, without passing through the mask material, which defeats the whole object of wearing it to protect others.

Disposable ones are available from China on Ebay, but with possible delivery times into June, and then still subject to delays.

GG ........

You’re right, there are about a dozen very small villages in the Gard which have been given the OK by the Prefet. Strangely, our own little village has been authorised - up until a few months ago, there wasn’t a market here, at least not what you’d call a market. Just a fresh meat trader outside the boulangerie on a Thursday & Sunday morning. He’s now been joined by a fruit & veg bod.

I think that the theory is ‘very small places where the folk may not have the capability to travel further afield’.

Uzes / St Q / Bagnols are all non operational.

Re face masks Nomoss, as as I’m aware they’re not available for purchase. Isn’t there talk of them being distributed by the Mairies to the most susceptible? If so, that seems a bit illogical to me, since the most susceptible shouldn’t be even thinking of going out, mask or not!

[quote user="Gardian"]................................................Re face masks Nomoss, as as I’m aware they’re not available for purchase. Isn’t there talk of them being distributed by the Mairies to the most susceptible? If so, that seems a bit illogical to me, since the most susceptible shouldn’t be even thinking of going out, mask or not![/quote]

If what you say is correct, it demonstrates a lack of understanding of the function of masks to be worn by the public.

They are NOT to protect the susceptible, they are to prevent the infected from passing on their infection to others.

The lack of understanding shown by many people, including some in the administration, is frightening.

Nomoss ........

Well I agree, but if I could get hold of a small supply (20 or so is all I’d need for the next month or so) then I’d always wear one. It would be more out of consideration for others in my vicinity, rather than thinking that I’d be likely to be infecting them.

Having said all of this, in the Far East, where the use of face masks has been pretty normal even before CV, the limitation of the spread seems to have been contained.

Anyway, its academic, for now they’re like rocking horse ****, so I just carry on dancing. Most people have always been happy to distance themselves from me anyway !!

Just been for my time-restricted walk.  Accompanied by OH today so I was walking at his pace.  We made reasonable progress but, by the time we got home we HAD exceeded our hour.  I usually walk alone and stick to the hour but not always the distance![:$]

Now I didn't get the idea of a déconfinement régionalisé all on my own.  If you read today's Figaro, you will see that some heads of départements have been calling for this to be considered.

Given that at some point, they are going to have to trial a relaxation of lockdown, it seems as good a way as any to do trial runs in the least affected areas, don't you think?

As for the question of masks, did anyone hear Edouard Philippe's statement last Sunday?  He it was talking about masks being distributed from the 11 May.  Indeed, we have had an info sheet from our mairie saying that masks will be available to all of us.  Then he talked about schools, businesses, etc.  As the question and answer session lasted over 2 hours, I can't claim to have listened to all of it.

I did hear though that a partial déconfinement might be possible, that they were going to look at all aspects and that masks will be one way of permitting this wonderful word déconfinement to be possible.

This isn't the article that I read but it contains some of the arguments that were put forward.

[url]https://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/des-presidents-de-region-reclament-un-deconfinement-regionalise-20200422[/url]

France is too big and diverse a country to have a one-size-fits-all approach.  I am concerned about the poverty in some of the countryside getting worse if all economic activity, even those that can be safely practised, ceases altogether for a long period.

As one of the those in the article said, Paris n'est pas la France!  Too much centralisation can be as bad as too little.  Some of these arguments are also going on within the US.

Mint, it makes excellent sense to open up the country in such a way that economic activity can continue in country areas where COVID has hardly touched.

One problem I see is how to stop people from areas badly hit by COVID from heading to those country areas too soon and possibly creating another wave of disease.

There are the roadside vendors too - you know the kind of thing. A sort-of shack which operates for 3 months of every year.

We’re buying asparagus every week from a spot locally, when normally we’d buy on the market. The spears are being cut in the field 50m away. She’s picking up trade from the markets that aren’t operating, but has lost from the early season tourists.

Overall, I wouldn’t mind betting that she’s ahead !

Its interesting that, during this lock down, in France 55,000,000,000 Euros have been added to people's savings accounts. (average 230 euros per week per household). Obviously some people are more than managing (this figure probably does not include "rich" people who would not be using normal savings accounts). The hope is that this will be spent to reboost the economy after the first lockdown finishes.

https://www.lci.fr/politique/confinement-covid-19-pandemie-coronavirus-120-milliards-de-perte-d-activite-et-55-milliards-d-epargne-forcee-en-france-2151501.html

The evidence is that as lockdown stretches seemingly endlessly in front of us, more and more people are ignoring government guidelines and coming out of their homes and taking up activities both leisure and working.

After all, lockdown only can only function when it is accepted by the public.

My daughter has 17 people making masks which are then distributed to those who request them, with special permission to be out and about. Folk put some sort of liner in them if they want extra protection.

It seems that mask wearing when out will be the way forward until whenever, which I think has already been adopted by the Germans.

Quite how one eats out with a mask, I dunno, so eateries will have to stay shut, I suppose.

Interesting article in the French press saying that folk generally have been saving a lot more during the confinement. Now, knowing the devious mind of the govt. I suppose they will find some way of getting their paws on that money to pay for the recent extra spending On the Secu.

We had not been in France that long when we received a bill from the french government demanding a payment of, and here is what I cannot quite remember, but something like 2000ff so around 250€ which in 1981 or 2 was a LOT of money.

We had to pay and were told it was a loan that would be repaid and it was several years later.

So yes, the french government does require the people pay up if they need money. No idea if they decided to do it, if they would class any demands as a simply one off tax or loan, but they certainly have form for doing such a thing.

[quote user="idun"]
We had not been in France that long when we received a bill from the french government demanding a payment of, and here is what I cannot quite remember, but something like 2000ff so around 250€ which in 1981 or 2 was a LOT of money.

We had to pay and were told it was a loan that would be repaid and it was several years later.

So yes, the french government does require the people pay up if they need money. No idea if they decided to do it, if they would class any demands as a simply one off tax or loan, but they certainly have form for doing such a thing.

[/quote]

I can't see the many rich folks paying up.  Don't they hide their money (where?) or move country to avoid taxes?

Those of us who are 'normal' folk have normal bank accounts.  I guess we are sitting ducks.  I don't mind helping, but I do have an issue with it being fair all the way around - which, from my point of vue - it never is.