What will happen post covid19

woolybanana

Just pondering if there will be any changes; perhaps folk might begin to move out of big cities to smaller towns or even into the countryside? Will there be a big increase in home working? And what about home schooling which has a significant following in France? ( Quite a lot round here). Maybe an even bigger move to online shopping? Keep8ng old folk in their homes with home help, rather than condemning them to death in moroires?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Million dollar question isn't it, because when will we be post corvid?

How will people live when things are relaxed or 'safe'........not a

clue. People will adapt and life will go on, but I truly cannot imagine

things ever being the same again.

For things to be safe, they have to find a vaccine that works, and have not as yet. I know that they are working at it, but then I hear that it has mutated, so they are chasing something that is changing.

And it could be soon, or maybe quite a long time. Nobody knows, just hopes.

How people will decide to live in the new world if there is no risk of catching this particular one again, then I cannot see why they would move away from centres where there is work.  Let us face facts, not everyone can work from home.

If governments start relaxing things soon and without a vaccine, then what, unless we have had it, then we are still not 'safe' from it. And the scientists are still not sure that it cannot be caught for a second time either.

[quote user="idun"]........................Let us face facts, not everyone can work from home...............[/quote]

Really?

Wouldn't it be wonderful if they could - in Maggie's "Service industry Britain".

Where most Brits work at home, servicing the rest of the world - selling houses back and forth, selling foreign holidays, arranging tours of quaint old museum Britain for tourists, planning, drawing up spreadsheets, having meetings by Skype, etc. etc., while all the food, machinery, vehicles, household items, etc. etc. is produced in and imported from faraway countries ...........................

A really great idea, wasn't it?

I think online shopping will continue to rise whether Covid-19 had or had not happened.

SCENARIO 1

So you drive in to a town, go in to a shop and say 'I want....'. 'Oh, I have not got one of those, I can get one in a few days'. So you order it and a couple of days later you go back in to town to collect it.

SCENARIO 2

You sit in doors, go on the Internet, find what you want, check prices of various suppliers, order it and next day a courier rings the door bell and delivers it.

There will need to be a far reaching inquest. Do not know what the situation is in France but in the UK there is a lack of PPE and healthcare workers dying. Just read about one trust with 24 hous supply of gowns. Barbour and Burberry will gear up to make gowns. However, it seems it will take a couple of weeks to get the approval from the authorities that they comply and then they can start producing. A COUPLE OF WEEKS!!! The trust that is desperate for gowns has offered to indemnify the manufacturer for any claims but no they will not produce until they are approved - dare say with the bloodymindedness of bureaucracy that if the company did they would be struck off of a supplier list.

Similarly, approval or rejection of proposed ventilators have taken weeks not days. Friends who were ex-military have told me about form FU1C - the last three characters standing for .... you I'm Covered'.

Like her or loathe her my thoughts are 'how would Maggie have handled this'. Once she was convinced by the military to send a taskforce to the Falklands if I remember rightly GO was on a Friday and it sailed on the Monday......with this shower, they would still have been completing the paperwork from 1982 so it could sail.

I don't think Maggie would have approved of extensive online shopping, and would probably have taxed it heavily. Or taxed using the Internet.

She just wouldn't have been able to accept the idea of Britain without thousands of little grocery stores and corner shops....................

She might have realised that 'the problem with Capitalism is that you start running out of other people's labour'[6]
I think that the balance between local and outsourced products, especially things of strategic importance such as medicines will have to be re-considered, as will   the relative remuneration of work and investments.

I think we oldies may have to pay much more for  the things we need   the young to do for us. Those who deliver the things we have ordered on line  should be properly employed, not in the disgraceful conditions imposed by American bully firms such as Amazon

On deliveries there has already been an expansion of local deliveries by local producers here in Béziers,

Much more work will be done by robots so that we dont need other’s people.

There will be a battle to get the police/ establishment to give back the powers they have recently been given to enforce the stay at home. Particularly, decisions will have to be made about the use of drones. Their use to harrass people out walking in thenhills, quite legitimately was/is outrageous

For example, can anyone imagine Really imagine a policeman telling a shopper that they cant buy a can of paint to redo their kitchen when it is on sale in the supermarket where they buy their toilet rolls.

PHE administrations need a bullet up their backsides as they have so far failed those Most in need. Example, holding up testing, holding up approval iof gowns masks etc.

To start with

As a former Police Officer I am absolutely livid at the way that some forces have been throwing their weight around. The Chief Constable of Devon & Cornwall was reported as saying that he is considering road blocks on the main roads to stop and interrogate all motorists passing through. I can tell him that most people out there are working or shopping or going to and from work or going out into the country for a walk or visiting their horse or whatever.

In the last few days they have softened somewhat as a national policy has been adopted. Even so they are still dictating what is ok or not ok as regards reasons for journeys etc. Their interpretation of the regulations is incorrect so I am sure that some people are being accused of offending when in fact their journey is legitimate.

The police at an individual and organisational level need to remember that they may need the support of the public more than ever in the near future when the riots start.

It is clear that we are and always have been teetering on the edge of a totalitarian State, both in UK and France. There are plenty of people within the Armed Forces and the Police who would support the Government in taking over any last semblance of democratic liberty, not to mention bizarre support from a compliant section of the public.

Strangely enough I suspect that our main hope in the UK lies within the ranks of Conservative back-benchers, who are the most likely to adequately challenge this rabble of idiots who are apparently in charge.

I can see that, at last, teleworking might really take off .. I do hope that some places will understand that delivering to other places than big towns would be well received.  That proper analysis as to where supplies are being held up, be it import controls, poor or restrictive administration, be examined and the results applied.  The acceptance that asking can sometimes be just as useful as control by limitation, and that keeping in touch with people is possibly the most useful thing of all that we can learn.

Also so that the science, correctly applied, can be useful to base judgement on, and that politicians, millionaires, celebrities are really much less use than they think they are.  And that this society still depends mainly on those who are at the bottom of the ladder, are badly paid, and without whom, we realise, now, that our lives would be much, much more difficult.

Time for change in thought, word and deed.

That our friends and families are most important, BUT that we can survive when we cannot see them all the time, but at least these days we can maintain contact in the very many ways we have to contact them; a blessing rather then a curse the internet gives us. 

And that we did not realise just how lucky we were - before Covid -19. Let us not forget that.

Meek Megan, it feels to me like the Police are protecting us from idiots who are ignoring the current shutdown.

IF I lived in Devon, I would not want second home owners showing up for a 'break' or to stay at this time. As they have already broken these rules, but IMO they obviously feel as if nothing applies to them, and are putting residents at risk. And as it would seem like they feel like 'they' can do anything, would they adhere to any rules.

Also, surely places like Devon and Cornwall, with relatively small populations, will have hospitals that are there to deal with the local population and at some point those extra things that summer time brings, which will likely be 'minor' in the grand scheme of things like, broken bones, sprains and cuts, rather than people needing lots of ICU beds if there is a major hot spot there.

So, please don't be furious with the police. I think that they are doing a great job and trying to protect and serve the general population in these very difficult times. And this 'herd' member appreciates them.

I go two or three times a week to the local Spar shop to buy bread and milk and go at about 07:15 when there is normally just myself or one other person. Last Friday, Good Friday, was different, a queue to get in to the shop - the only time before or since. As I live on the Lincolnshire Coast then I can only conclude that they must have been visiting their holiday caravans or houses or renting them.

To my mind the police had been ineffective last weekend and should have turned away the holiday makers. At present, London is the hot bed of infection. There could easily have been holidaymakers from London who then have the ability to infect those in my locality.

Those abiding by the 'rules' have nothing to fear. If the police are not taking action then they are being complicit in spreading the virus.

A couple of things:

I wonder if this will increase online shopping long-term. Someone who has never bought online decides that they will wait and go to the shops when they open after lockdown. But lockdown has been extended so they order for the first time online. They find what they want, order it and it is delivered next day. Will they use online ordering again?

Before retirement I worked for the NHS, so this applies to the UK, and was responsible for making annual returns onbehalf of the trust that I worked for. One section of returns posed the questions such as what plans are in place for:

a failure of water supply

a failure of gas supply

a failure of the electricity supply

etc

and the actions to be taken listed.......

I wonder if the government (whichever flavour is in power) has the same plans in place that it requires organisations answerable to it to have. If there is one for a pandemic it would make interesting reading, especially regarding obtaining supplies early on.

Everyone will be enthusiastic about keeping things in house until they realise the prices they are currently paying will go up. Chap on radio 4 keeping social distancing for the future having an unoccupied seat between everyone one on planes, trains and buses ignored the price rises to keep such a system viable claiming people will see the sense in it. Once the brouhaha dies down, the cheapest price will again be the governing factor.

I remember during the mad cow disease when we lived in Portsmouth, the super markets could not shift beef, so they slashed the price. Shelves were cleared within days.

For once, an article in the Daily Mail on this subject that is readable, interesting and credible[:P]

[url]https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8235287/DOMINIC-LAWSON-No-coronavirus-lockdown-cure-ISNT-worse-disease.html[/url]

Norman wrote :

I think that the balance between local and outsourced products, especially things of strategic importance such as medicines will have to be re-considered, as will the relative remuneration of work and investments.

On our lunchtime news the managing director said that he had contacted the NHS offering to produce scrubs. He has still had no reply. Frustrated he contacted local hospitals and is producing scrubs for them He bought the cloth from another local supplier who is wanting to use another type of cloth which is genuinely re-usable. The jury is still out on that one. I don't understand what is going wrong. This company has the machinery and the skills to produce much more than they are doing and it would be much better than them being furloughed as they are at present.I wouldn't be surprised if things like this were repeated in many other parts of the country.

We need a serious re-think about the whole economy.

I’ve heard on R4 about companies and individuals making stuff for hospitals that have been happy to have them made, presumably of the correct fabric. But

whoever/wherever has the final say has refused them as not passing the strict tests.

Those who made them must feel very depressed and sore about it, having had hospitals delighted that they would be receiving them.

Norman, very interesting articles - let's hope that there is a far reaching enquiry into the UK governments sheer incompetence.....but no doubt it wil be a private enquiry and placed on the same shelf as the Russia enquiry.