The story of a jig saw order.

woolybanana

With this lockdown I expect that many of you have fallen back on that old staple, the jigsaw. And maybe even ordered a couple of new ones or exchanged with friends.

Well, I ordered one, a nice Ravensberger, via Amazon which was sent by a company in Italy. Given the chaos in Amazon fr. caused by the predatory unions I expected the delay to be a little longer than usual. But it went on and on. I asked Amazon who suggested that I contact the company which I did.

Ah, said they, contact GLS which I did, to find that said puzzle was in their transit warehouse i Milan.

So I waited.

Then asked Amazon again. Finally after a month they refunded my money, though, to be fair I hadnt asked them to.

Two days later the postie wakes me with a package dispatched from Germany, my puzzle.

Inside was a charming note In imperfect French saying that Vesta and Alessia had received the parcel by in an error by GLS.

Rather than send it back or keeping it for themselves they had repackaged it and sent it on to me, paying the freight themselves.

I cant contact them as there is not address which is a pity as I would like to thank them at least.

There are some good folk in the world after all.

Thank you Vesta and Alessia.

Nice happy story .. meanwhile my amazon uk order, has left them, but not arrived, with no shipping follow on .. the other package did, order via amazon but not supplied by then.  Still wondering whether to chase or will it finally arrive once amazon.fr is allowed to send non-urgent stuff (it's only books), as I presume it's still in the system, but who knows .. can I be bothered to check, no ...'cos I don't expect anyone knows where it is, be it amazon or la poste ...  but still annoying and intriguing me .. as I've never had a problem with .uk before only .fr!

I ordered a sun visor a few weeks ago and had an email to say it has been sent.  And voilà, it arrived today and is superb with a nice wide brim and another peak of darkened plastic that can be pulled down well over the eyes.

Only problem is, we have had no sun for a few days but plenty of rain.  The forecast is for incessant rain for a few days yet.

As they say, you win some and you lose some......(emoticon needed for "resigned")

Judith, I think that I would go onto the account part and tell them that the order had not arrived.

I have had a few orders in the last few weeks that have been late. Sometimes when I have gone to actually report it, there was a note on the account with a new delivery date on, sometimes not.

When I have reported, I have been asked to wait another couple of weeks and, touch wood, everything has eventually turned up. But I would always report it anyway.

The sun will be back.

By the way, I am faced with a bit of a problem, financial and moral; I have discovered the name and address of the people who sent on my jigsaw And would like to send a letter of thanks for their kindness. But, it also cost them money to send the thing. Should I reimburse them? It weighed 2kg and must have cost a fair bit to send by either Deutsche Post or DHS.

In fact, one figure I found suggested that the freight cost was more than the puzzle is worth and four times the original Amazon stated postage of €10.

Hmmmmm. Amazon voucher?

They were very kind people, and it’s a bit of concern for you,Wooly.

You might consider sending flowers instead of payment - if you can track down a florist near their address. Interflora isn’t one I’ve been happy with, so I look for local florists now for friends in other countries.

I love sending pretty Flowercards, but haven’t sent any to France recently as I knew that there were hiccups with deliveries in places.

Edited to say that things I ordered from Amazon were held up in Spain - they weren’t from Spain, but it’s all a bit topsy-turvy these days. I had a repayment from Amazon but a couple of weeks later the goods arrived. I was told to keep the repayment.

Jigsaw lovers - do you know Wentworth wooden jigsaws, “whimsies”? They are jigsaws with a twist and are challenging, as sometimes pieces that look as though they are edges may not be.

I love that some have intricate pieces relating to the subject of the jigsaw. My favourite out of several we have is of Inverewe Gardens, with pieces reflecting a garden, such as a spade, and it’s a lovely memory of many visits we made to the garden.

Quite a few NT shops sell Wentworth jigsaw puzzles.

I’ve now decided on what I’ll do this evening - our Gardens jigsaw.

I have discovered the Piatnik brand of jig saw, made in Vienna. Excellent quality. They have a series of classical painting puzzles; my current one is the Wedding Feast by Breugel the Elder. Lots of fascinating peasant faces, drawn undoubtedly from those he saw around him.

My next is a Ravensberger called Portrait of a Knight, circa 1510. fascinating details.