second home owners, here is some good news for you

mint

If GG came back to France, it would be in complete contradiction to her post on the other thread.

Explain to me why Brits coming from the second worst virus hit country in world (the UK) should be allowed to come to France ?

Yet Parisians can't travel to Brittany.

I await with bated breath.

Thank you, Mint. An interesting release of info by the Élysée - and on a Sunday!

ALBF, you can rest assured that I have no intention of travelling anywhere before the autumn - if then. Unless a miracle happens, of course ?

Stay safe everyone.

I think letting the UK back into France would be a catastrophe. The UK is having it bad.....but....that is Boris for you. Tw*t.

Don't get me wrong, I am not Brit bashing. The kids would so dearly love another trip to the UK this year. So would I. But that ain't going to happen.

PS. Brit...your back ! Where have you been hiding yourself ? Not on the evil forum I hope.

Look, let’s try to be clear about this, to avoid misunderstanding, as is often said :

As from Monday:

There will remain restrictions on ‘incomers’ to France, unless they are returning to their (demonstrable) place of residence. Basically, you can’t, certainly not if you’re a 2nd home owner.

People in ‘green’ areas, will no longer have to use a form and can travel up to 100 kms from their residence.

Easing of retail restrictions in terms of locations (hairdressers etc) but necessary hygiene regs.

That’s a very broad generalisation - I’’ve probably missed something !

I think we second home owners should start up a petition demanding that taxes fonciere and taxe d'habitation is not payable whilst we are prevented from using our second homes.

ALBF have a chew on that.

The TF is a tax on the fact that you own property, not on whether you actually live in it or not.

With TH you might have more of a case, although it could be argued that the services that it pays for still have to be provided whether you are resident or not.

Why not claim your tax hab and fonc from the Chinese government. They started this. LOL.

It is hardly France fault you can't travel.

And besides, I am the greatest fan of second homes. I would have one in the UK if I could afford. I am not like you rich kids that can afford to have a home in the UK and France.

@ Brit are you the GOLF GTI fan ? Or am I having dementia again.

Just a minute, my post was very tongue in cheek hence the final line.

National and local government finance are going to be very stretched and very difficult for making a case for handing 2nd home owners money back.

No doubt some 2nd home owners who are below retirement age might lose their jobs which the 2nd home could add to their economic hardship......could always try selling it, when permitted, but for what price.

What will happen is this...

There will be an exodus of people living in cities (Paris, Lyon etc) to rural areas where they can work from home.

In five years time there will be an exodus back to cities when folks realise that French rural areas are boring to live in.

In terms of second houses, not many can afford these days. Even before the virus.

I said years ago to my French family to get shot of their second homes/holiday flats. I bet they had wished they had listened to me now.

Personally I can think of far worse people than the parisiens in France.

My experience was that the folk of Antibes were horrible, rude, aggressive and we never found anyone I could say something half pleasant about. Maybe they cheer up for the proper tourists in summer, because I was there for the Toussaint holiday. Who knows, I shall never ever go back. Now in Nice, folk couldn't have been nicer. Geographically so close to Antibes and yet so far away.[blink]

I have been to Paris, apart from one waiter, who would have fit in well in Fawlty Towers, people have been fine with me. And even the waiter in question left me smiling with his rudeness.

Paris is a very big city with every type of human kind possible.  I don't come across extremely rude folks often.  A few times yes, of course.  I can't really think of any place I have spent any real time in that I never came across a rude person.  The world is over populated.

When we lived in Provence (for 13 years), my French neighbors HATED with a real passion anyone that was from 'somewhere else.'  But, they held a special hatred for Parisiens.  I figured out why after a few years of living there.  Funny, living in Paris, I have never seen the snobby, mean attitude I often saw from Parisiens in Provence...  I think the hatred went vice versa.

They didn't like the Dutch either (busy bodies).  They had the Germans down as cheap skates.  There was a lot of racial hate too.  I found it all very interesting.

I'll never forget a comment made by some guests in our gite.  They were from the UK (where? I don't remember that part).  They said, they just "love France, if they could only get rid of the French, it would be perfect."  

Try living in the U.S. these days.  You'll likely find a new definition of hatred and it keeps evolving.

I don't mind the lyonnais, the mountain folk didn't like them, but I used to go through fairly regularly as my friends still do and we found them OK.

This is after all, speak as we find. Incomers to my old french village used to say that they found the villagers very cold and unfriendly, but I didn't.

Many many years ago I was in a queue for a ski lift in Alpe du Huez..

This bloke just pushed his way through the queue treading on everyones skis (even kids) to get to the front. Wadded his way through and could not give a tôss.

Someone from the back shouted, "I bet he is a Parisienne".

He shouted back as said 'no I am from Isere'.

I was a young lad at that time but today if that bloke tried the same trick he would be wearing my ski pole up his arsé.

Hmmm....I am happy in the Loire.

I have a friend in England who bought a house in western France at the end of last year.
He hoped to be living there with his young family by now, but their planned move had to be cancelled when everything was shut down.

He is frequent traveller by tunnel, has a lot of tickets pre-paid, and is looking for a way to at least get down there with his family. The last trip they made was to sign the Acte, and they had no time to even start to apply for a titre de séjour.

He has somehow got a strong impression that the only proof of residency required to drive across France from Calais is an

electricity bill /phone bill, but I am very doubtful that this would be accepted, and have told him so.

EDIT. The first section for people and their family having their main residence in France does not seem to attach any conditions, so I assume it is considered an attestation sur l'honneur.

Does anyone here have an opìnion?

Wouldn't they have had to wait three months to apply for a titre de sejour anyway? And France  hasn't been on lock down for 12 weeks?

AND when did they sign the Acte, that is the actual buying isn't it, not just saying that they wanted it.

So here is what I think. That as they own the house, surely they will have bills associated with it already, so to get to it, why cannot they use these bills and state that they are going home.  And ofcourse he will have a copy of the acte de vente too, which proves ownership.

You did not say how old the children were, but certainly during the year they are six, they have to start formal schooling that September. Ok, so it is getting on for the end of the school year now, however, it is not the end of the school year yet by any means, so how would they and the children, if of formal school age cope with 'home work' at home, they are all fluent french speakers??? 

Quite frankly NM, I rather doubt that he’ll get further than the French ‘Border Force’ booth at Folkestone !

You don’t need me to tell you that possession of a utility bill does not signify residency. As I understand it, the borders are closed, except to residents returning home. To demonstrate that, I would have thought that you’d need something like a Tax Return.

Attestation sur l’Honneur? Leave it out - those blokes will take great pleasure in turning round somebody who they think is just trying to get down to his 2nd home for a few weeks!

Anyway, the bottom line is that I really don’t know. If it was me, I’d talk to the French Embassy in London in order to see whether they can provide something.