Lori, how did it go?

mint

You all are so sweet to think of us.

YES, we moved !!  All went very smoothly.  Van got held up on the A86 due to being stuck behind an accident, but he arrived 30 minutes later than anticipated (not bad).  He was such a nice guy, from Senegal.  It was the owner of the house that hooked us up with him.  80 euros to move a van full of 'stuff" and us.

Arrived to house to find owner and his son cleaning.  There have been a number of contractors doing lots of work in and around the house, so it was dirty the last time we were here to visit.  Some of the contract work has not finished, so they will still be coming and going.  So, I do have a good bit of cleaning to do - I'm a bit of a clean freak.  I expected this, based on the situation during our last visit.

Still, we love the house more and more.

The unpacking and cleaning began upon arrival.  The kitchen is now clean.  I'll take one room at a time from today forward.

We've ordered a bunch of 'stuff.'  The sommiers arrive this morning.  The lave-linge tomorrow afternoon. 

So, we are thrilled to be here.  And thank you all so much for asking.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks to all of you again.

I'm exhausted.  It has been a long cleaning day.  I've been called a clean freak.  I don't really think of myself that way, but I've been called worse.

We've had our sommiers delivered and a desk.  We use the desk for a dining table as we don't have one yet.  A desk chair and a lave-linge are scheduled to be delivered tomorow.  It is just beginning.

Love the house.  Even if I have to spend hours cleaning it.

Hope you are all doing well.  We are living as if there is likely to be a second wave.  Trying to get as much done now as we can.

We had lovely salads with lardons and roasted potatoes for dinner, with a nice bottle of red wine.  I do love to cook.  I had my first try with a Induction cook top.  I liked it.  Spoiled I guess..

I was very interested to hear that you like your induction hob.  I am not so keen on mine.

I bought it when we installed our new kitchen because with OH getting on a bit and finding gas cylinders difficult to manage, not to mention fitting in the plastic tube in winter, I thought it was a good opportunity to get shot of the gas range that was left in the house.

Then I found I only had a couple of le Creuset pans that would work on the hob.  So, it was off to buy new pots and pans that would work with induction.  I could have cried getting rid of all my beautiful Meyers pans that had performed such stirling service over the years.

Now, over 3 years later, I still don't get on that well with the hob.  Never do know when the rice is just right, not watery, not burnt at the bottom of the pan.  Then omelettes, can't seem to get them nice and fluffly.  As for sauté potatoes, either not brown or over brown and hard.

Wish we had town gas; now THAT would truly gladden my heart.

I like my induction hob a lot, our second one.

We installed the first one in the existing good quality kitchen units, adding a new sink and worktop when our younger son was around 13 - he’s 46 now. It was reduced in the sale at the Southern Electric showroom.

Our second induction hob was installed when we had the kitchen refitted, almost 9 years ago.

"Wish we had town gas; now THAT would truly gladden my heart."

Personally I would not go back to gas under any circumstances. Could not wait to install an induction hob in our flat after 20 odd years of gas. (and all the air born dirt it produced) The induction control is almost as quick but the ability to put a timer on each "ring" when cooking individual items that require different timings is priceless. Changed the pots over for the Ikea range (stainless steel) and the tefal for the non stick. The sauté potatoes come out perfect in those.

Have just bought a 20 cm cast iron pan which also works really well.

Mint,

When I got my induction hob, likewise got rid of the gas bottle, and so much easier to clean, I did not buy new pans, well some, yes, but I did not throw away my tried and tested ones, especially frying pans, but bought an under the pan ring, which works very well. . and not expensive .. though you have to heat it up for longer before it works, and thus it works more like a standard electric hob, but it saves much changing of pans, and works very well.  I cannot get some things to work as well as on the old gas hob, or indeed by my wood burning cooker in the last house (never done omelettes as well as I did there, or salmon in the oven!), but it wasn't suitable for our current house and would not have fitted in it anyway.

Replying to Judith:

Unless I am in a tearing hurry, I seldom make "standard" omelettes, as they never do look right.  I tend to make Spanish type omelettes (but with different fillings and not just potatoes) using 8 eggs with our saucepan and finish off the top under the grill.

No longer cook salmon on the hob, cook it in my microwave en papillote with some flavourings such as honey and orange, etc.

Oh wow Lehaut, you can use a cast iron skillet on an induction cooktop??

I never would have guessed that.  Thought they'd be too heavy for the glass. I love those and planned to buy one even if it couldn't be used on the cooktop as I use it often in the oven.

We walked today to the nearest Leader Price.  I admit I am a discount shopper, whenever I can be.  Won't sacrifice quality, but find several of the discount supermarkets have some really good quality products so much cheaper than the main, bug supermarkets.  Was a 25 minute walk and a lovely one at that.  Bought some fruits and veggies and back we went.

Washing machine and office chair have arrived.  The plumber is in the basement now installing the branchment for the lave-linge.  There was one already down there, but the owner wanted another one installed next to where the evacuation dryer sits.  The old lave-linge connection is being used to install a basement sink and counter.  Nice.

Finished cleaning the rest of the windows....  Cleaned the main bathroom... Ugghh.  Someone smoked in that bathroom and it really smelled of smoke.  I had to clean all the tiles on the walls in addition to the pare-douche, sink, tub, windows, window frame, door (inside and out), toilet and floor.  Took me a LONG time..  I've left the window open to keep it aired out.

Does anyone know what I can use to clean real hard wood floors?  I used one of those mops with the lingettes attached to it and that certainly helped, but I need to REALLY clean the floors; with a mop and whatever the right product is.  Any ideas?  Thank you !

Similar dinner tonight.  Salad with cubes of boneless chicken breast sauteed, tomato, cucumber and the big splurge .... a baguette !  Oh and of course, another bottle of wine.

So happy to be here.  Will have to delve out to return the old FREE equipment.  There is supposed to be a UPS drop (approved by FREE) about 20 minutes walk from the house.  We'll probably try that tomorrow or Friday.

May go now for a walk in the park.  Tired, but would like to get another walk in for the day.

Nice to find another obsessive walker on the forum![:D]

Today, I went to my Pilates class (only my second week) and did some work at the barre.  Yes, it is a real barre fixed to the walk.  The legs had a good old workout.

Came home to cook the lunch/dinner that I couldn't eat before the class as the class was at 14.00.  Then, as the rain had stopped for a bit, I just HAD to get my walking shoes on, pick up my sticks and go.  For the first 10 minutes or so, I could feel that my legs had been thoroughly "worked" already.  Still, just carried on and eventually walked off the wobbliness.

Sun came out and I felt on top of the world.  Took more like an hour and 10 minutes to do a walk that would normally take no more than an hour.  But, like you Lori, I never feel like not fancying a walk!  

Yes Mint, I can't stand to let a day pass without a good walk (6 to 9 kms).  I'm so tired now, I won't be able to stay awake much longer.   It is only 21h00, but I am exhausted.  The plumber  is due back tomorrow at 8h30, so I will need to be up and ready to receive by 8h00.

Must sleep.

"Does anyone know what I can use to clean real hard wood floors?  I

used one of those mops with the lingettes attached to it and that

certainly helped, but I need to REALLY clean the floors; with a mop and

whatever the right product is.  Any ideas?  Thank you !"

Ideally sand the floor down and then seal it, but if not there is no substitute for a scrubbing brush on hands and knees...

Lori, I have a large cast iron skillet that works fine on the induction. It is very heavy so I place it carefully on the glass top. I heat it up gently before bringing it up to full temperature. I cracked my favourite 6 inch skillet by heating it up far too quickly. I also turn it round as its coming up to temperature to even the heat. Like you, I often then pop it in a hot oven to finish cheese etc off.

I also bought a steel blini pan from a local cook shop which also works well.. Its about 4 inches across. It heats up very quickly so care has to be taken.