SPORT

idun

Here are a couple of definitions of that word SPORT;

an activity

involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team

competes against another or others for entertainment.

a person who behaves

in a good or specified way in response to teasing, defeat, or a

similarly trying situation

Trouble is that the word 'obsession' is not mentioned, because it has been bad enough during the lock down, in spite of nothing being played, there has been a lot on, and it has been mentioned far too much on the news...... for me it is not news,  and I am not interested!

So that obviously makes me a 'bad' sport, because my goodness, I feel really defeated tonight, rotten Match of the Day on, starting really early.......... and nothing of interest on tv, although I do find weekends often 'dire' anyway.

Is sport just the primitive brain in action, modern tribalism, a need in some, well apparently many, to see battle commence and hopefully see their side win and the other defeated. How is that for being evolved, I think that is called, basking in reflective glory, when one is backing the winning side.

To be polite, I am pretty 'fed up' tonight. I have an awful feeling that 'sports' fans will be pandered to for some considerable time, as some sort of what, compensation. And yet it really does not feel as if non sports followers were well catered for during lock down.

Whinge over!

ps

who follows sports most, men or women...... any ideas?

idun wrote the following post at 20 Jun 2020 23:43:

To be polite, I am pretty 'fed up' tonight. I have an awful feeling that 'sports' fans will be pandered to for some considerable time, as some sort of what, compensation. And yet it really does not feel as if non sports followers were well catered for during lock down.

I have a feeling that the huge amount of sports coverage is simply there to fill the gaps caused by the lack of the normal style of programme .. rather than to pander to sports fans.

The missing programmes are those with 'live' hosts and 'live' audiences .. which won't be featuring on tv for a while.

OH and I watched 'Young Montalbano' on BBC 4 ..

Idun wrote:

"I feel really defeated tonight, rotten Match of the Day on, starting really early.......... and nothing of interest on tv, although I do find weekends often 'dire' anyway."

With all the alternate diversions available these days, do you really rely on the "TV" for digital weekend entertainment?

Well, football has absolutely zero interest to me. What has been good is Radio5SX playing recordings of old cricket matches.

What I think is good about cricket is that if a batsman scores well or a bowler bowls well or a fielder takes a superb catch they will be applauded by all the spectators.....plus the fans do not need to be segregated.

What really annoys me is when sport is shown on BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time.

What I find strange is that some so called football fans berate a player for moving to another club. 'Clubs' are businesses and players are workers who do what those fans do, change employer for a better deal. And as for their salaries absolutely ridiculous.

Still the betting companies will be glad that sport is back they can make more profits.

I have been doing plenty of other things, but sometimes I just like some good tv.

I have four books, as I say, 'on the go' at the moment. I have read and read and sudoku'd and sudoku'd, so, A LOT.

Strangely, I have been on the computer less in general apart from little articles that pop up.

We have netflix, but we haven't watched it, started The Irishman, that was about 10 weeks ago...... and managed half an hour and realised that we would have to do some planning if we are going to watch the other 2.5 hours. IF!

I was brought up with endless sport.

Oh, idun, you must watch "Call my agent" on Netflix!

Set in a Paris theatrical agency, it's a French series (original name "Dix pour cent”). It has subtitles, for those that need them.

Great characters - and a USP that involves each episode featuring a different REAL top French actor, playing themselves, to add to the volatile mix.

Loiseau wrote the following post at 21 Jun 2020 18:14:

Oh, idun, you must watch "Call my agent" on Netflix!

That sounds very interesting .. thank you ?

I will look that up next time I find there is nowt to watch on either Fr or UK tv.