The US Election

Gardian

I think that I understand the electoral vote system. Different to elsewhere, but being essentially based on the eligible voters state by state, it makes sense.

What I’m having difficulty with is why the majority of States have been able to declare their result ages ago ......... and four or five are still messing around with postal votes some 3 or 4 days after the bloody election.

Surely they had some idea how many postal votes they had before the event, and surely therefore, you’d expect them to resource the counting headcount accordingly?

This just all seems bonkers to me, particularly given the stakes.

Takes me back to when my dear old Dad was a ‘presiding officer’ at one of the outlying counting stations in our constituency in Surrey. He had to jump in to his Austin 7 and drive (unaccompanied) to the Count. He was usually the last in, being the furthest away. Nonetheless, by 11-ish. Result by 01.00 latest.

Yes, I do understand that the geography is different in the States, but this is complete and utter madness

Things have got out of hand because the Republicans asked their supporters to vote on the day but the Democrats told theirs to use the postal vote system. And the former votes had to be counted before the latter.

Usually the postal and absentee votes, excepting military votes were checked in advance but could not be this time as it is either not allowed under state rules or has been banned by Republicans.

And there was a mass of checking to be done, right down to contacting individual voters if necessary.

Plus covid and Trump raging around.

One could go on .......

I read an article somewhere, can't remember where but I had no reason to doubt it, that each state has its own rules on election procedures. Some states don't allow any voting to start until election day itself. I guess those are the ones that are still counting.

No idea why they would have this rule but if they do, they do, and I suppose there is a reason. Maybe everything has to be sealed and untouched until the electoral officers are sworn in on voting day? It's probably one of those rules that seems bonkers until you know the reason. Although some still seem bonkers even when you do know the reason.

As with all  properly conducted elections, postal votes cannot be counted before the day as there is a danger that any leak could affect the on the day voting.

The postal vote, as I understand it, means opening two envelopes and an authentication process all of which takes time.

If you take Pennsylvania alone there is in excess of 7,000,000 votes to be counted.  Trying to hurry the process to satisfy anyone's impatience is counter-productive.

With the febrile state of the election it is essential to be accurate and in a position to counter any claim of impropriety.

Ah, good old Weegie, you have explained it before I could.

The separate states have their own rules on when counting of postal votes is allowed.  In Pennsylvania, with a totally Republican political and ruling structure don't forget, the law is that you cannot count postal votes until the 3rd.

Weegie is also right in saying that postal votes take more time to access, opening of envelopes, verifying identity, etc.  This has been explained both on UK and French TV repeatedly.

And as someone else has explained here, Democrats encouraged people to vote early and to vote by post, on account of the pandemic.  If the postal votes benefited anybody, it was Trump because he defunded the Post Office and made postal voting more difficult.

Well thank you, these postings have made the chaos much more understandable.

I have to say that since the new President doesn't take over until January anyhow, what is the rush, unlike the UK where it's in/out as soon as the vote is counted!  Every vote, however cast, should be counted ... and if not, there would and should be a justified outcry. 

Judith, while the inauguration isn't until January, all electoral college issues have to be resolved by 8 December.

I hope the link is readable and will explain all to us who feel confused!

[url]https://nationalpost.com/news/world/what-happens-next-in-the-u-s-election-key-dates-to-watch-as-the-drama-unfolds[/url]

[quote user="woolybanana"]What worries me is the damage that a vicious Trump could do between now and his crawling out of the back door. He still has immense power until the last minute.[/quote]

Agree.  He will certainly destroy any and everything he (and his staff) can. 

I think Mr. Biden should expect to find total chaos upon arrival, assuming he isn't taken out before he can even get there.  Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Trump burned the house down - of course, it wouldn't be him of course.  Maybe that's why he wanted the Proud Boys to 'stand by.'

Lunatic, along with the other 70 million who voted for him.  Speaks volumes about the U.S., but I knew that already.  I lived in the South.

So glad I am OUT !!!!!

[quote user="woolybanana"]OK, AP have called it for Biden. Phew! Now to see off fatty to the courts, bankruptcy and maybe prison. OK, one can hope.?[/quote]

No  kidding !  However, he did say he would leave the U.S. if he lost.  So, better get those lawsuits going. 

I don't think I have ever hated a human being more than I hate Trump.

[quote user="Lori"]
[quote user="woolybanana"]OK, AP have called it for Biden. Phew! Now to see off fatty to the courts, bankruptcy and maybe prison. OK, one can hope.?[/quote]

No  kidding !  However, he did say he would leave the U.S. if he lost.  So, better get those lawsuits going. 

I don't think I have ever hated a human being more than I hate Trump. ....... [/quote]

That would be the icing on the cake!

But I can't see him doing something that would please the Democrats, and, anyway, who believes anything he says?

[quote user="woolybanana"]Advance pardon has been discussed.[/quote]

Surely that means he has to admit the crimes to be pardoned?

We stayed up a bit late last night to watch some of Biden's inauguration party.

He sounded as if he was still campaigning, and the whole event looked like it was taking place in some banana republic. People leaping and dancing in a sort of tribal ritual.