Help! I can no longer write or print.....

mint

This is getting to be VERY serious for me.  I had an icon on my desktop to enable me to go straight to Microsoft Word and I can write and print as needed.

Now it seems that I can only use Wordpad or Notepad and, when I have written on them, I do not have the task bar to print what I have written.

I have piles of stuff to write and, if I don't do this when I am in the mood, I will have lost all incentive for the task.  Pen and paper just no longer do it for me.

Do you know what version of Word you use?

Is it something you bought and installed or something that came with the computer? Do you have a subscription to Office 365?

If you can go to the list of all your programs you should be able to find Word there, so you can access it and create another short cut icon.

If you can't find MS Word and don't want the hassle of looking for it, why not just download and install Open Office, it's free and very similar to MS Word - you should be able to write and print no problem.

French version here or English version should be easy to find

https://www.openoffice.org/fr/Telecharger/

Don't be fooled into thinking you need Microsoft in your life, it is not the only option and it's not even the best option.

Sorry to hear of your problems, Mint.

It would probably help to know what version of Windows you're using. And re Word, etc, are you paying an annual subscription for updates, etc, and if so, have you cancelled it or has your credit card for automatic renewal expired?

It's most likely a Windows update has caused your normal icons and shortcuts to disappear but we probably need a bit more info in order to guess. Have you closed down your device completely and then re-started? Sometimes (rarely) my icons disappear for no obvious reason but everything resets itself when I do a complete shutdown.

File Explorer is the Windows 10 version of Windows Explorer so what's you're looking for there depends on your version of Windows.

Thank you, everybody who has replied.  I am ovewhelmed by your  prompt replies and generosity in wanting to help.  It's giving me a nice, warm fuzzy feeling in what is a horrible, cold, raw day.

For starters, I am on windows 8 and I have looked at Office but don't really want all those features that I will never use.  I don't see anything called file explorer in the vast list of confusing things that are apparently available to me.

If all else fails, I shall download your suggestion, Norman.  After all FREE sounds very good at the moment[:D]

mint wrote the following post at 09 Jan 2021 19:00:

If all else fails, I shall download your suggestion, Norman. After all FREE sounds very good at the moment.

I have Win 7 and Win 10 and I use LibreOffice .. it is easy to download and only slightly different to Word to use.

In fact after quite a few years use I now prefer LibreOffice.

It is downloadable in many languages .. and you can add other languages as you wish. I use French and English as I need docs in both.

Are you still using an old version of Internet Explorer as your browser, Mint? If so, this link may help you...

<< The Internet Explorer that comes with Windows 8 has Bing as its default

search engine, of course, as it’s a Microsoft product. Most of you

who’re fond of Google might not like this and want to change the default

search engine to Google, well, it seems possible now. By simply

changing some settings here and there you can set Google as your default

search provider. >>

Continuing to use Windows 8 + IE10(?) may leave you vulnerable to security problems, though. I'm not sure either are supported nowadays. But others will have better knowledge, i'm sure, so I'm happy to be corrected on that.

[quote user="Catalpa"]
Continuing to use Windows 8 + IE10(?) may leave you vulnerable to security problems, though. I'm not sure either are supported nowadays. But others will have better knowledge, i'm sure, so I'm happy to be corrected on that.
[/quote]

Win 7 is no longer supported and although win 8:1 mainstream support ceased in 2018 its operating system support and updates will reach 'end of life' support in January 2023. It should remain secure but will not have any design feature updates.

It is still possible to update w8 to w10 free. Microsoft free edition is no longer available but by downloading their 'media creation tool' the upgrade process can be made by use of this tool.

[quote user="NormanH"]
For search  I use

[/quote]
It is also one of my browser choces.  However, if you wish to leave no footprint whatsoever whilst retaining your anonymity, then THIS is the way to go.

If you are to believe anything you read on the internet, that would have to include which platform you obtain your information from and I wouldn't be refering to the high profile commercial platforms in that belief, then Tor is as legitimate as the next browser.

It was developed by 3 MIT geeks and funded by the US office of Naval Research in the mid 90's. It is built on open-source software which allows anyone under licence, including you, to develop it and re-distribute it in a similar fashion to the Linux os. The Libre Office suite mentioned above is the same sort of organisation where it was developed using Apache software. Firefox is another open-source program developed by Mozilla.

The common denominator of the above organisations is that they are generally staffed by volunteers and funded by donations and subscriptions.

If you use a vpn for internet browsing then your information and identity will be encrypted prior to it entering the Tor network where another three layers of encryption are added before being directed, via several different servers/nodes worldwide, to the server of the site you requested.

All the servers will know where to send your request to but, because of encryption, will not know from where it came. Each server strips off a layer of encryption until the final push for your requested sites server which will push you onto the site as an un-encrpted user. This is why to access the likes of BBC iplayer etc you need to be un- encrypted from the last server, which must be a UK server, to theirs to enable it to believe you are UK resident. I believe they block any traffic carried by TOR for this reason.

So as they used to say on The X Files,  'trust no one' and I basically, do not.

We have VPN, but it is the bane of our lives sometimes, as we have it on for one thing and then say 'I' or 'him' haven't realised it was on, so don't  turn it off to use another system and nothing works........ takes us an age to twig what is going on.

[Www]