Has that *** bing replaced firefox?

mint

I now have to use Opera because I cannot seem to get firefox in spite of making it my default browser.

Sue, or nomoss do you know anything about this? I have googled how to get rid of bing completely and it appears that lots of people out there in the world are trying to do the same.

I never asked for bing, I don't use it but it seems that it has been foisted on me whether I like it or no. THAT'S the part I don't like, the coercion.

Bing is not a browser, it is just a search engine. So it isn't clear where you are seeing it.

You can switch to different search engines in the settings of all web browsers.

Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Firefox?

Browser or search engine....what would I know about these differences.

All I know is that I don't want bing muscling in every time I open my computer.

I will do what you have suggested, pomme, though I did think I'd done that recently.

I've already used Opera for several sites so have had to input all the different passwords. I don't think I have done anything to deserve all this hassle!

PS, I have seen browser used as a catch-all phrase for when you want to get somewhere to look for something. Therein lies ALL of my knowledge on this.

Mint - a device (pc, laptop, tablet, etc) uses an operating system (eg Windows) to get the device ready to use. Uses may be MS Office programs or connecting to the internet. To connect to the internet your operating system needs a web browser.

Examples of browsers are IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Opera. These programs are downloaded from the web and saved to your device.

Examples of search engines are Google, Duckduckgo and, of course, Bing! No search engine is downloaded to your device but your browser will need one to find information / find its way to sites you use.

As a generalisation, you can't access the web from your device without a browser and you can't then search the web without using a search engine.

The following may be a crap analogy so I'll apologise in advance but...

A browser is like your hands physically picking up and opening - accessing - an encyclopaedia (the web). Everything is in there but until you have a way of accessing the book, you can't search for the information you want. A browser (like Opera) connects you to (opens) the book (web).

Having opened the encyclopaedia via your browser (Opera) next step is to find information and to do that Opera needs a search engine to read the index and link you to the relevant entries.

(I now have serious doubts as to how helpful this post might be! [:P] Sorry!)

Anyhoo, I use Firefox browser and my default search engine is Google. Somewhere along the line, probably because you clicked on something accidentally without noticing, Opera thinks you want Bing to be your default (preferred) search engine. There will be ways to change to Google (or whichever) and this link might help you.

Now... do I press POST or delete this message? Er... [6]

Catalpa, that was an excellent explanation so I am very glad you didn't press delete (smile)

I shall follow your link later today as I am too pushed for time now.

I also read somewhere that some malware might be responsible for bing coming up all the time but I doubt that that is the case.  I'd ask my nerd to come and do something but it will have to wait.  Can't have anyone visiting me at all, as you know. 

There is a good, and simple, guide below to change your search engine from bing to google, even for firefox."Change Bing to Google in Firefox

Firefox now uses Google as its default browser after several years of using Yahoo!. If you changed from Google to Bing or another search engine, it's easy to switch back to Google. To do so, open the Firefox browser and locate the menu button (three lines), then click on it. Next, scroll down to select Options and then click on Search. Locate the Default Search Engine option and select Google from the list. This will instantly make Google your default search engine in the Firefox browser."

I have Windows 10 Home, with Firefox browser, so don't know if your system is similar.

There is a search box at the top right of the screen. If  click on the magnifying glass symbol on the LHS of the box I can select a search engine from the 9 available in the  drop-down list which appears.

I change my default search engine by clicking on "Tools" > Options > Search (from list on LHS) > to where, under "Default Search Engine" there is a drop-down list of those available.

This is a similar route to the options to that posted by betise.

mint wrote the following post at 14 Jan 2021 10:31:

Catalpa, that was an excellent explanation so I am very glad you didn't press delete.

I also read somewhere that some malware might be responsible for bing coming up all the time ..

I think you're right mint.

You seem to have acquired a browser hijacker somehow.

So initiate a scan with your antivirus .. and if that doesn't help to resolve the problem then download this malware buster (it's free) and do a scan to neutralise the nasty you have acquired.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

I seem to remember a few months back Minty asking advice about buying a computer.

ALBF said 'by a chromebook'.

I dont want to say I told you so....but I told you so.

Don't EVER EVER...by a windows computer unless you need one for a very 'specific' reason.

Cause you have all these problems.

Run 'antivirius LOL '....you don't need to do this stuff with chromebooks and macs.

Mac or a Chromebook....if you buy another computer. Which you will do soon.

Enough said.

ALBF, that latest computer I bought wasn't for me! I bought it for OH because he finds the tablet keyboard too cumbersome to use (stick out tongue, can't do on Opera)

Sue, I'm going to look at some emails and then I am going to do as you have told me? Thank you

[quote user="Catalpa"]Well done, Mint. [:)]

[/quote]

Alas, Catalpa, I didn't succeed. Back to blinking Bing so it's Opera and Google but I guess I'll have to get used to living with it. Thank you for your patience in explaining things but you are up against a real dunce

ANOB, It’s lovely to be able to come on here when I want to, which I’ve kept failing at on and off- problems for ages with logging in and then my ipad decided to mess it about.

Since installing Edge it’s all sorted, so hopefully I’m back to stay!

Mint, sorry that yours hasn’t stayed sorted out, such a nuisance.