Voting in UK elections

anotherbanana

It seems that those of us who have been here for more than 15 years are to be reenfranchised. Apparently it is in the budget. Not sure I wanna vote but better than nothing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56265898?fbclid=IwAR01aIcuwqGI2l9XsGb8Bj_Y4GxkCMNnE9SyCh3WkcfexmJu2wr64MXaqCg

My view is, and I quite happily accept I'm in the minority, that just why should I be allowed to vote on U.K. issues when I no longer live there.

Strangely, I also feel that as a foreigner I shouldn't be allowed to vote here either (which I'm not!!) Before Brexit I did vote in the local elections but then again I paid my local taxes so felt I could 'have a say'.

"My view is, and I quite happily accept I'm in the minority, that just why should I be allowed to vote on U.K. issues when I no longer live there."

Some of us have no option but to pay taxes in the UK, so would like to have a say how they are spent too.

Voting eligibility is all very well, but there is no one to vote for both in in the UK and France.

Come the next presidential election in France, you will have the choice between Macron or MLP.

Who the hell do you choose ?

Well you don't. You abstain. Which is basically the same as having no vote.

I am happy to live like that.

[quote user="Lehaut"]"My view is, and I quite happily accept I'm in the minority, that just why should I be allowed to vote on U.K. issues when I no longer live there."

Some of us have no option but to pay taxes in the UK, so would like to have a say how they are spent too.[/quote]

As I do but still think that if you don't live there then having a say isn't right. In any event I consider that whatever taxes I still pay goes towards the debt I no doubt owe from before I came to France.

We voted for 20 years and then lost our right to vote in the UK. Unlike NH I didn't mind, seemed fair enough. I hadn't known that prior to that there had been a five year rule......... but how could we?[Www]

I believe in voting. In fact those who don't vote and can shouldn't be having a whinge about what the politicians are doing.

It's like those who moan at the pub or the bus stop or in a train, (or at the tv)............ if you don't like something, then write and complain. I simply cannot be doing with thinking it is ok to mouth off and not do something. And people say, what good would it do, well, if say an MP  got 10k or the PM 10 million emails or letters about something, maybe they would take notice.

IF people in the US had taken the not voting attitude and had not voted last November, then we would still have the former president. Voting may have got him, but voting got rid of him too[blink]

I also believe that voting is essential. It is the only say the 'ordinary person' has. To paraphrase badly: It's not the best there is but it is the best we have!

Unfortunately there is corruption and fraud. Who knows if there was mass fraud in the USA? How about the E.U. having re-runs of voting in referendums until it got the 'results' it wanted. Scotland's 'once in a generation' voting nonsense.

The vote is fine, unless of course you don't agree with the result!!! Many voting 'democracies' are set up , in my view, very badly. The French system that allows the final two protagonists to fight it out is , I think, a bad example.

Perhaps I'm biased but the British first past the post system is, in my view, the best. I might add that only having one vote and sticking to the result is a must. i.e. the Brexit vote being an excellent example!