What is Belgium like Wooly ?

alittlebitfrench

What is Belgium like Wooly ?

You have kids there don't you ? Or am I mixing up ?

Belgium is on my radar of places to move to.

Cutting a long boring story short, we have been dealing with some folk in Belgium and have been blown away about how god damn nice, proactive and polite they are.

They could not help us enough.

Compared to France...well France is France.

Some encouraging thoughts please folks.

Very crowded but beautiful areas in the south of Wallonia. Flanders is basically flat and boring though the coast has a peculiar charm.

Can be very wet, was mint says and cold.

Some very poor areas such as La Louviere and Charleroi. And some very rich areas too.

Education is soso. Catholic schools are best. Universities are good and cheap.

Very politicised in the south.

Taxes are higher but death duties lower.

France has the space that Belgium doesnt which counts for a lot.

I love the drive between Liege and Bastogne, the country side is very very beautiful.

We had beligan neighbours in France who were very pleasant. Our eldest used to work for a belgian company in France and they were fine, and he had a belgian girlfried for a little while.

When holidaying in Holland when our youngest  son was about 15 he started knocking around with a couple of belgian lads of similar age on the camp site and they spoke, excellent english, excellent french and neerlandais, but I could not say if that was good or not.

I like Belgium, and the belgians I have met.

I lived in Gent 20 odd years ago, delightful place. Great beer and the frites ... They can appear a bit dour but when you get to know them they can be fun. Of course, no language barrier but do the Flemish speakers love it when you have a go. The language has a wonderful way of telling the time as in "tien over elf".

The young workers seemed to me to be obsessed with their pensions. There is little love lost between the Vlams and Walloons.

Quite true, rock, quite true. I have a soft spot for the Belgian coast, love to walk along the digues and take the tram that runs almost right along the coast. Plus, when it is cold and blowing one, tucking in to hot chocolate and gaufres.

Oh, and the best moules frites in the world are at Ostend....... yummmmm.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time in Belgium as I spent almost half of my life living not far from the delightful town of Masseik. I have also spent a fair bit of time in Mons and La Roche en Ardenne. I always enjoyed my visits but it’s not somewhere I would have considered living. I found it far more crowded and expensive than France. The climate isn’t brilliant and, unlike woolly I find the coast bland and uninspiring. The smart bits of the country are very smart, the run down parts very run down. In my opinion the best parts are in the south close to the French border. At least it’s somewhere where you can choose to live where your preferred language is spoken as within the small country there are distinct areas where Flemish, French or German are spoken and near the Netherlands border the Flemish spoken is really Dutch.