Prince Philip

Ken

I had more than just moist eyes watching the funeral of Prince Philip yesterday.

The organisation and ceremonial structure of the funeral was quite staggering given the circumstances of Covid. Much of the organisation was, apparently, done by the Prince himself and it is a tribute to the man that it was perfect in every detail.

The country paid tribute to him as did even French T.V. with its excellent coverage. My view on the Prince is that he was perfect for the Queen. He could be sharp yet humorous and seemed to fit the exact requirements of an Englishman which given his mixed family history was quite an achievement.

One of the great Royals.

I watched some of the coverage but not all.

It could not have been better, as it had a sort of simplicity to it, that I found excellent and very very moving.

I had not quite understood that the hearse would be the converted Landrover and then I thought it was such a good choice.

I watched the BBC televised service.  Completely appropriate for the times, conforming to the Duke's wishes, and I suspect to the wishes the whole of the Royal Family. The music was beautifully done, chosen by Prince Philip again, and a joy to listen to.  Totally sympathetic to the occasion and the man.  The Queen, being the master of duty as she is, wished to conform to the Covid rules and did so perfectly.   The dignified walk down to the chapel made up of children, elder grandchildren and Prince Philip's personal staff, perfect. Even if it had been the Queen's wish to go outside the rules (and I am sure she could have done that if so desired, but equally she would never do that), I do not think that any funeral following usual Royal protocol could have improved on this simple, moving and very touching ceremony.

An incredible man, and will be very sadly missed by all. 

Judith, you said everything I intended to say.

I expected to feel somewhat emotional, but was far more tearful than I’d expected.

It was beautifully done and the singing by the choir was sublime - maybe more effective than if the whole choir had been able to attend.

It really did feel like a family occasion, and the lone piper playing the lament was a touching end to the funeral for us.

Perhaps some kind soul would be willing enough to help me out here?

I watched some highlights and some segments on the news, however my quandary is that QE2, the head of state of the UK and NI and the world's longest serving living monarch was permitted to accommodate 30 mask wearing socially distanced guests to be able to attend the  funeral of her late husband and yet a few miles down the road, the pedestrian and traffic free roads of Soho in London were wall to wall with hundreds, if not thousands of non-mask wearing non-socially distanced revellers, whooping it up like there was no tomorrow.

What am I missing here?

The ones whooping it up were outside. the Queen and the thirty were inside.

The Queen and her entourage would have to be seen to be doing things correctly otherwise some smart Alec would try and find fault with what they were doing!

[quote user="cajal"]

Perhaps some kind soul would be willing enough to help me out here?

I watched some highlights and some segments on the news, however my quandary is that QE2, the head of state of the UK and NI and the world's longest serving living monarch was permitted to accommodate 30 mask wearing socially distanced guests to be able to attend the  funeral of her late husband and yet a few miles down the road, the pedestrian and traffic free roads of Soho in London were wall to wall with hundreds, if not thousands of non-mask wearing non-socially distanced revellers, whooping it up like there was no tomorrow.

What am I missing here?

[/quote]

It's quite obvious to me.

Some people follow the rules and set an example, others totally ignore them.

The UK police have been criticised and reviled by the media since the beginning for attempting to enforce the rules, and don't have the resources and maybe even the will to do so in any case.

On another note, I have noticed that a large number of people of a certain age group, on forums and elsewhere, are taking a delight in trivialising and even being insulting about the funeral, the mourners, and the UK in general, despite that some of them are prepared to crawl back there because things in France are getting difficult for them. There is even one nasty little example on here,

The fact that this will upset those of a generation who know what Phillip represented and what he achieved seems to add to their pleasure. Much like small children who think it is clever to say things to upset their parents or teachers, because it makes them look clever in front of their peers.

It makes me wonder what sort of an upbringing, if any, they had.

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't really followed the regs regarding the  UK un-lockdown, so I didn't realise there was an inside and outside procedure.

That being the case, THIS is the nearest supermarket to Windsor Castle.  I imagine it would have had within the premises, on average well in excess of 30 customers, possibly wearing masks and perhaps social distancing at any one time during the course of the day in the week leading up to the funeral, down the road, on Saturday and also up to the present time.

Who actually proposes these rules and regulations?

From an ordinary Joe's perspective of the clips I viewed it appeared to be a more serene ceremony and fitting for a family funeral rather than the circus it would inevitably have been had the usual global 'dignitaries' been in attendance.

Nomoss, thank you - that was extremely well put.

Cajal, I think that some of the thinking about limits of people attending funerals is that as they are very emotional occasions it’s very likely that hugging etc will take place.

I so agree with you about the funeral of Prince Philip - it really felt a serene and family occasion, very fitting to him; when the Queen was shown on the screen I felt a bit as though I was intruding on her personal grief.

Looking at those pictures inside the Waitrose makes me think that they can’t be current. In each photo with people I looked at they weren’t wearing masks, and according to friends who still visit supermarkets for groceries, Waitrose staff are very diligent about checking on mask-wearing, hand gel etc.

Perhaps you should follow the regulations that apply in the U.K. and save yourself from making asinine remarks.

The rule governing funerals is different to many rules regarding gatherings and is limited to 30 people.

I can assure you that it isn't some ' ordinary Joe' making the rules but ultimately the Prime Minister. I would have thought that most obvious!

As for regarding something that resembled a serene family funeral perhaps you should have watched something more than just clips. I doubt any normal family funeral would have had soldiers from many British regiments attending as guards of honour plus the military bands. Perhaps your family funerals do, I wouldn't know!

The British 'do' ceremony very well, possibly better than any country and should it have been a 'full' ceremonial funeral for such a well respected man as the Prince then it certainly would not have been a circus.

By ‘the funeral’ I wrote about my feelings about the funeral service, which I watched from start to finish. The 30 mourners were like any other family at funerals since Covid struck in large numbers - alone in their grief.

Soldiers and military bands were not part of the funeral service.

If things were normal, apparently 800 mourners would have attended, including representatives of the many charities and other organisations that Prince Philip had been involved closely with for many years.

There would also have been many others there, clergy, full choir etc. The serene family funeral I watched could not have happened if things had been ‘normal’.

[quote user="Ken"]Perhaps you should follow the regulations that apply in the U.K. and save yourself from making asinine remarks.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion, but not being a resident of the UK, I think I'll pass.

I had to google asinine being the dimwit I am. However, I believe my remarks are no more fatuous than your very own.

[quote user="Ken"]The rule governing funerals is different to many rules regarding gatherings and is limited to 30 people.[/quote]

There you go. Why would I need to follow the UK regulations when there are obliging posters like you who are willing to give their time in explaining the regs to me.

[quote user="Ken"]I can assure you that it isn't some ' ordinary Joe' making the rules but ultimately the Prime Minister.[/quote]

I never for one minute assumed it was a mere 'ordinary Joe' doing the prime ministers bidding for him. If you stopped for a second and absorbed my comments you would, perhaps, have worked out that I was referring to myself as a viewer of global tv transmission of UK family funeral. 

[quote user="Ken"]I would have thought that most obvious!

As for regarding something that resembled a serene family funeral perhaps you should have watched something more than just clips. I doubt any normal family funeral would have had soldiers from many British regiments attending as guards of honour plus the military bands. Perhaps your family funerals do, I wouldn't know!

The British 'do' ceremony very well, possibly better than any country and should it have been a 'full' ceremonial funeral for such a well respected man as the Prince then it certainly would not have been a circus.
[/quote]

I thought the highlights I watched of the event were serene and tastefully done for a grieving family following the death of one of the heads of that family.

You are obviously very swept up in the British way of pomp and ceremony, as is your right to be, and I would agree that they always make a sterling job of it. However, funerals are very different events to weddings even though the same families can be a part of both. 

Your statement that  "should it have been a 'full' ceremonial funeral for such a well

respected man as the Prince then it certainly would not have been a

circus"
. I can't see the media of today missing an opportunity to transform a state event of this nature into a circus about personalities rather than the end of a family era for a much loved and respected man.

The full ceremonial thing, in my opinion, would be far better performed and more appropriate at a memorial service rather than at a family funeral.