The big six!

Ken

Football has long died for me I'm afraid. Money has, in my view, completely ruined the game so I wasn't surprised to read that a group of clubs tried (and failed) to set up a European super league.

The object, of course, was to make yet more money; what else?

A furious backlash by fans has helped, apparently, to cancel the formation of the super league but I wonder if these same fans realise that by paying the ever increasing fees to watch football or buying the exorbitant kit on sale they are simply promoting even more schemes to make money.

Clubs know these people will continue to pay whatever it is they ask so it was no wonder a 'Super league' was planned. This won't go away I predict that even more price rises will come out of it. If there is one single cause to the problems in football then it is the fans who are causing it by paying the fees the clubs know they will pay.

As for the government getting involved: These clubs are private ventures and government interference shouldn't take place. The clubs are there to make money and they pay handsome taxes as a result!!! Incidentally the government didn't interfere when Rugby formed a 'Super league'! I suppose there wasn't enough kudos in it to gain some popularity; and votes!! Or is that me being just cynical?

I'm afraid an E.U. supporting rag doesn't really cut it for me. Any opportunity to knock Brexit or Boris these people will take.

They should get over it, we are out!! Thank heavens or the pandemic would still be raging in the U.K. too!!!

That article compares the urgency with which Johnson  reacted to the trivia of football with the lack of that same urgency in treating the situation in Northen Ireland, and his casual approach at the start of the pandemic.

It is you who have twisted the issue to Brexit, not that article.
Interesting phrase you use too "we are out!!"

I live in France and am posting on a Francophile Forum (though sometimes it doesn't feel like that)

Who are  'we', and out of what?

That article, by a left wing eu rag is simply an article that is in opposition to the U.K. Any sensible person knows that.

The political aspect of N.I. and football cannot be compared. Only an idiot would think so.

Casual approach to the pandemic! Which country is having almost no deaths from Covid, which country has declared itself pandemic free. Non on mainland Europe so where does that leave the rag's statement?

As for 'we' I too live in France but am still an Englishman, just what are you? By 'we' I mean Britain and that includes me as an Englishman.

Out of the corrupt E.U. is what 'we' are out of. You want to support an argument against the U.K then at least have the gumption to do it on your own initiative and not try and shift a spurious argument on to a left wing rag.

Yes, NI is very important, but soccer fans are in HUGE numbers in England, and I would imagine that these fans would find this far more important a thing in their lives than  anything going on in NE.

So lets change the word 'fans' for voters in elections and I am sure that politicians will usually try and appease the voting public when they are so fired up against such a scheme.