Right to vote UK

anotherbanana

BANANA:

The Queen’s Speech contains a proposal to return the right to vote to those of us who have been outside the country for more than 15 years

My own view, obviously not shared, is that we who have left the U.K. shouldn't have the right to vote in the U.K.. I simply cannot see that I should be allowed to vote , essentially, about issues that do not affect me as a resident of France. Some people don't just want a piece of the cake they want all of it!!!

To make your blood boil even more I don't believe we should (as foreigners ) be allowed to vote in France either (We don't of course!)

You want to vote in a country ;U.K. or otherwise then become a citizen of that country.

Some of us are still taxed in UK. We also pay taxes in France. What you are saying is taxation without representation,

Seem to recall a little incident in Boston USA a few years ago.

I still pay tax in the U.K. What has that to do with it? You want representation then live in the country you want to represent you. You decided to forgo that right; now presumably, you are moaning about a decision you voluntarily made!

I have no intention of voting in the U.K. in the future. I last lived there a long time ago, left my ‘home’ area years before that and visit once in a blue moon. What happens locally in France us much more important to me.

I’ve often read that people want a U.K. vote for their children’s sake; I don’t understand that, my adult children have their own vote, any vote I make might actually cancel out one of theirs.

Ken said
"My own view, obviously not shared, is that we who have left the U.K.

shouldn't have the right to vote in the U.K.. I simply cannot see that I

should be allowed to vote , essentially, about issues that do not

affect me as a resident of France."

This is not about where one lives geographically it is about the right of a British national to vote in British elections. In other words about citizens' rights.

NORMANH said:

This is not about where one lives geographically it is about the right of a British national to vote in British elections. In other words about citizens' rights.

Ah! Citizens rights! I'm sure you are very much in favour of your rights! I repeat; In my view we shouldn't have the 'right' to vote. I know perfectly well what my rights are and have no need to be pompous about them.

We could vote for 20 years and did. We eventually lost that right for our last 7 years, but we were on our final years in France.

Why vote, well, we NEVER intended to stay in France for our dotage and if I had found myself on my own, I would have been out like a shot.

As our intention was to move back to the UK,  we felt the need to have our little say in what was happening, even though our compatriots were obviously not on the same wave length as us for  a lot of the time.

I felt fortunate that we could vote in UK elections for the period we could.

Isn't it often hard as to know who to vote for, even when living in a country.

NormanH: At the moment you may well do, but without the right to vote you have no say in how that may change in the future.

Engage a logical thought process. Not having a vote doesn't mean I don't know or wouldn't know what would be my rights. Your sentence is a little bit silly!

I wrote "you have no say in how they may change in the future."

That doesn't mean that you "don't know or wouldn't know what would be my rights"

It does mean  that without a vote you have no means of having an effect on those changes.

I suspect that you are just being wilfully obtuse to try and irritate me.

That won't work.

On the other hand it is possible that you have limited understanding.

Now Ken - I’m happy to be corrected by anybody else on here (other than you), but you really are beginning to be a bit of a pain.

I wasn’t best pleased to be told by you a few weeks ago that I should be “ashamed of myself”, when you had clearly got things badly wrong. You didn’t have the good grace to apologise.

Since then, there have been a number of minor ‘attacks’ to others - they’re never terribly serious, but just plain irritating. To accuse Norman of being pompous and not terribly intelligent ......... well, for goodness sake. He may or may not be a nice bloke (!), but he’s neither pompous nor unintelligent.

I think of you as ‘Last Word Ken’, because that’s what you always want. Think about it eh?

p.s. You’re not a reincarnation of one of the happily departed old pains in the backside, are you?

NormanH:

Well you have at least two champions who also think I'm being obtuse! With regards limited understanding; well, at least my 'obtuse' comments are open and not veiled in any way!

Not having an effect on changes because I don't have a vote doesn't mean I won't understand my rights in the future. At the risk of being obtuse, your sentence is nonsense. I know my rights now and I would know them in the future despite not being able influence those changes.

When you paste something do try not to distort it by only pasting part of what you wrote.

[quote user="Gardian"]  ...................  

I think of you as ‘Last Word Ken’, because that’s what you always want. Think about it eh?

p.s. You’re not a reincarnation of one of the happily departed old pains in the backside, are you?[/quote]

I think that's very likely. They tend to get in everywhere, like a fart in the ventilation system.

What's happened to civilised discussion and good-natured agreement to a difference of opinion?  It seems that all the lockdown restrictions have made for some bad tempers and bad manners?[6]

Edit:  nomoss, that's a graphic description, I swear I can smell l'odeur affreuse from here[:D]