Storms

NickP

We had a huge storm last night in the Loir et Cher, I can't believe that trees weren't down this morning. The only casualty we had was that one of the Bat screens on our bedroom window got dislodged, and was blown down the garden. Anybody else have a bad night? The Bat screens are to stop the little fellas who live in the Oak lintels over the windows from getting into the house as if they do it takes forever to get them out. ??

Very windy here last night in the Haute-Vienne, but no damage thankfully.

A great link for tracking storms in real time is:

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=fr#x=4.1144;m=oss;r=0;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;n=0;y=46.016;z=7;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;ts=0;

Sorry cannot make the link live, but copy/paste into your browser.

We work online, so can stay connected until a few minutes before any thunderstorms arrive - very useful.

When we moved to France a local gave us some very good advice: Don't buy a house near a river!!!

Anyone interested can research it but that advice was good. St Pée sur Nivelle was devastated and we looked upon a flooded valley with relief!

We need the rain but nature has the last say!!!

Yes, thank you, Weegie, send us some more; I really enjoyed last night's storm.  Could really do with a thorough soaking as the heat and still atmosphere was stifling and really horrible.

Fresher today but can't say it feels cooler.  Instead, it's very humid and tiring but hope for more rain tonight as I love nothing more than to lie in bed and listen to the rain beating on the roof and the water gurgling in the gutters.

My little village sits at the bottom of a valley and storms often race across the tops of the hills and leave us alone even though they sound like a TGV close by.

A few miles away to the east is Hesdin which seems to get more than its fair share of thunder storms whilst we dont. A elderly villager born and bred maintains that it is the local river which protects us; he means, of course it is the surrounding hills which push the storms further east. Whichever, respite.

2007 was the last serious flood in St Pée. There have been several minor floodings but nothing serious.

It was an incredible night. Lightning and thunder that continued without stopping for hours. The rain was incredible. Come the dawn the valley was underwater, helicopters lifting people off roofs and all in the space of a few hours.

As quickly as it came, it subsided, leaving devastation in its wake. People I spoke with after said that the water rose so quickly they just had time to make it to the roof. Others had to be pulled out of windows and hoisted to upper floors.

Living high up we were untouched but it was quite obvious that there had been tremendous damage in the valley below and St Pée itself. Walking in the mountains days after the storm people would simply not be able understand the devastation to the countryside and indeed, the mountains without seeing it.

I love storms and bad weather but I am eternally grateful to the local who said" don't buy a house in the Vally"( near a river) Over the years I have seen the result of storms and flooding across France and know of the terrible consequences of ignoring Mother Nature!