Where were you?

Ken

Can't get away from it I suppose! Brexit. Where were you when you heard the news that the vote leave had won? I was in a restaurant in SanFrancisco when the news broke.A great cheer from another table made me aware that there were other Brits in the restaurant. We shared some very nice wine to celebrate.

Five years ago this week. It really made my holiday.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting ready to be installed as President of my Rotary Club.  There was much ribald chivving from the members (almost all French of course) when I got there ...  but they too were all sorry for us.

Not a day I remember fondly, other than we had a great handover!

A better memory is that is also the day my neice got engaged .. now that is something still to celebrate!

In bed. We were stunned, just couldn’t believe it. We wondered how on earth the vote could have gone so wrong.

We felt cheated that our normal life shared between the UK and France couldn’t continue, and that our children and grandchildren and generations to come wouldn’t have the choices we’d have in Europe.

We hadn’t moved to live in France because our son and our grandchildren live just round the corner, and we spend a lot of time with them when we’re in the UK, wouldn’t want to move away from them.

When we walked up to the market that morning the usual time spent exchanging 3 kisses on meeting our many French friends and neighbours, chatting, then kisses on parting was very much prolonged by their sadness for us, as they all knew how terrible we would feel, and their own sadness was palpable.

Then stallholders we’d shopped with for so many years expressed their sorrow. Claude, our cheesemonger, stopping serving to declaim to everyone at his stall and nearby that he would go to court to swear that we were at least as French as any French customers and should be allowed into the country any time we wanted to be there.

I still feel betrayed by those who voted to leave.

I was on a boat on the west coast of France with my eldest son. His dreams came crashing down, as a recently qualified architect who had been born in Germany and lived there for most of his life and was used to having a second home in France he had much wider horizons than the narrow minded individuals like Ken. Intelligent and ambitious, his plans were changed by the xenophobic fools who believed the lies.

Old men like Ken celebrating the fact that they have denied future generations the rights to the FoM that they themselves have taken advantage of.

Please Ken, give me three real advantages of Brexit and I will give you ten times that number of disadvantages. Being ignorant is one thing, celebrating is is something else.

Insults aside I have said elsewhere that , for me, the only issue was a countries right to sellf determination. Nothing else. I apply that to all countries.

I have to say that your selfish reasons are your concern, not mine. The majority voted to leave. You were the minority, and lost. You seem to set great store by suggesting that you and your family have the right to so many things yet won't accept a democratic vote.

As for celebrating, well hardly a day goes by when I don't thank those who voted to leave. The majority!

As an aside, albeit academic now, looking at the final referendum results, I wonder why 17.9% did not vote...........complacency as in it will never happen, did not care either way, or just couldn't be bothered...... your thoughts ladies and gentlemen please............

The 17,9% may have made a massive difference, we'll never know.

Voted remain by the way.

I'm sure you will inform me! As a starter, they can feel rest assured that the. E.U. cannot interfere with the British government if the British government decide otherwise! Other than that , nothing! British people cans still do everything as they did before albeit , now with some paperwork!

My thoughts, for what they are worth. There was a referendum and the majority voted in favour of leaving the E.U. All sorts of speculative nonsense could be applied. For example supposing those who didn't vote did vote to leave then the majority would have been even greater! The 'remainers' say 'but' if those who didn't vote etc voted to. remain then perhaps etc. etc.

You lost, get over it!!

If leaving the EU was such a good idea why didn't the British government have the integrity to allow the very people Brexit was going to affect the most a vote. And I'm not talking about Europeans living in the united kingdom or even brits. living in europe whose right to vote had lapsed. I'm talking about british subjects living in the overseas territories whose whole way of life revolved around co-existing with their European neighbours. Anguila for example receives 99% of it's supplies from Saint Maarten, it's neighbour ( Dutch/ EU ). They rely on the close physical link for medical services, transport, you name it. Were they given a say? No. We've all seen how well the Channel Islands are getting on with France now that Brexit has thrown away a perfectly good fishing treaty. They had less time to study the withdrawal agreement than the UK parliament. And before you ask yes they did ask for a vote, it was refused.

If I've learnt anything from Brexit it is that a cohort of charlatans and snake oil salesman were perfectly happy to shaft their own countrymen in the pursuit of personal profit. Personally I hope they all go to hell.
Oh, and before you ask, yes I am applying for French Nationality. I don't trust her majesty's government to have my back anymore.
But Ken, you won, get over it!!!

No, albf, your understanding on this is weak; he is allowed his opinion just like everyone else on here.

It’s the repetition of the refrain “ You lost, get over it!! ” that is part of the trolling; he loves rubbing noses in the result of the referendum.

Antonia, I sympathise with what has happened there as a result of the referendum; I think that it’s very sensible to do as you’re planning.

Trusting anything at all to this government would be utterly wrong; we’ve had bad governments in the past, but none that has demolished trust quite so badly.

I feel I should

apologise. I admit I was triggered.

It’s the old trope “ the

majority voted for Brexit – get over it”. As a true believer in

democracy I wonder what is democratic about a referendum which

altered the status of every British citizen on the planet being

decided only by those within the right postcode. Personally I think

Covid has masked a lot of the negatives of Brexit and I wouldn’t

put it past this government to continue muddying the

waters for years to com
e.

I worry about my family &

friends still in the UK and, believe it or not, hope Britain

prospers. But for me, the time has come to fully invest in the

country that has given me a home. For the UK, I’ll keep my fingers

crossed.

Antonia, thank you. You are the first to mention the dreaded C word - Covid.  I am about as sure as I can be that the full effects of Brexit will not be seen until the pandemic is over .. and until that happens, none of us, including Ken, can say what the effects have been, as Covid has muddied the waters supremely.

Antonia;

I feel sure the 'overseas territories' you mention. have managed to, thus far, survive! despite your concerns for their welfare. As to the political views you hold regarding the U.K. you are perfectly entitled to an opinion though in my opinion your love for the E.U. transcends your being objective.

I wasn't going to raise the subject of naturalisation but as you have needed to mention it, well done. As you no longer trust the UK. government then presumably you will also be giving up your British nationality, you not trusting them!! Cutting all ties with Britain, is that right? Perhaps that may be a step too far, just in case!!!!

As for getting over it, I simply can't I'm afraid. Each day I pay homage to Boris for getting Britain out. Good luck with your French nationality application.

Ah Ken,

Your lack of concern

for the welfare of your fellow countrymen says more about you than

anything else you have written to date. Why should I give up my

British Nationality? As the proud descendant of someone who was on

the winning side in 1066 it is my right. Who knows, the time might

come when I decide to return to Britain. Or not, whatever it’ll be

my choice. What I do know is that this governments concern for it’s

citizens extends only to those whose votes it can count on. And

talking of politicians, “pay homage”? Sounds a bit cultist to

me.

I not sure how you jump to me not caring about my countrymen. I thought I had made it clear that Brexit , in my view, was good for the U.K. and so by extension, my countrymen.

As for giving up your British nationality, it is, of course, your decision. Isn't it nice to think you can return to Britain should you become disenchanted? Assuming of course it isn't run by cultists!!!

British people cans still do everything as they did before albeit , now with some paperwork!

That’s just not true and if you believe it it says a lot about your knowledge and understanding. A few minutes on the French visas site will show you how the number of British people who will actually be able to move to let alone work in France is very limited indeed.

Yet more triumphalism from Ken. The term trolling can’t be applied to him as he’s become a regular contributor, but he’s as good (bad!) as a troll.

Yo7 might notice that I didn’t say he was a troll. Nice to see that ALBF is as off target as usual. It’s bragging not voting that’s Ken’s crime.