Norman, are you listening?

mint

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, indeed, an interesting article.

I like both Rameau and Lully.  There is a bit of a Rameau rondo that I used to play for warming up the fingers. 

Not the same period I know but, talking about ballet music, I am also fond of Adam.

Norman, I am back under my old identity!  Phew, I was worried that I'd lost access to all those links you have provided over so many years.

I'm going back to that rondo of Rameau's.  I always had to be persuaded that scales had to be practiced to death.  A bit of Rameau, a bit of Czerny and I was good to go though the teacher was never actually impressed[:(]

• 3 weeks later...
Hope it's not ill health that is keeping you away from the Forum.

So, how about this catchy little number though I have only provided the lyrics because I can't find a sung version that I like:

https://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/camelot/beforeigazeatyouagain.htm

Perhaps you could find a singer that does it justice.

OH has been humming this for days and I have been trying to avoid him, not wanting to be rude by saying please hum something else!

Also, don't forget that we won't have to wait long now before Cardiff Singer[:)]

Pat, I'm sorry, the link wasn't clickable but here it is again, specially for you!

[url]https://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/camelot/beforeigazeatyouagain.htm[/url]

It's a bit soppy but I like the words all the same[:$]

And, you see, it HAS brought Norman out again from his barrel[:D]

Yeah, that's OH...........I'd never understand the man!  He has very good musical taste but he does hark back to these old Hollywood musical numbers[:'(]

Was at a funeral service yesterday (seem to have been attending a few lately) and to my pleasure the organist, a son of the deceased, played Jesu Joy of Man's desiring and he played it rather well too.  I hadn't even realised there was a proper organ in that church, as it'd always been guitars or an electronic organ.

He was next to me in the queue on the way out and I said thank you for the Bach.  He said, madame it is very good always to have un petit Bach.........a sad occasion but there were a few smiles too.

I think Bach will always be my favourite. It started when I was a young teen, 15 or 16 , and I took part in a massed choir performance of his St. Matthew Passion  in Newcastle City Hall. It was such an overwhelming experience, left a lasting impression.

Pat, I knew you love Bach and that is why I told you about the funeral.

The first time I heard his St Matthew's Passion (I was going to say in its entirety but that wouldn't have been true) was in the Avery Fisher Hall in New York.  To my eternal shame and engrossed as I was by the music, I was overcome by jetlag and slept fitfully through parts of it!  To this day, I have never admitted to anyone else what happened.............

Here it is:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P21qlB0K-Bs[/url]  

This is not the usual offering but I was sufficiently intrigued to listen:

[url]https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/apr/16/st-john-passion-review-mark-padmore-britten-sinfonia-simon-russell-beale[/url]

I worked with Andresw Parrot at University a bit, (I played continuo in a performance of the Messiah, and sang in a Dido in which Emma Kirkby sang the tiny role of one of the witches) and later on he was a supporter of the one-voice-to- a-part   school.

I am sending a link (if I can get pms to work) to a sensational version of the SE Matthew sung by the boys of the Thomaskirche...hope it works for you)

"The first time I heard his St Matthew's Passion (I was going to say in its entirety but that wouldn't have been true) was in the Avery Fisher Hall in New York".

Now called the "David Geffen Hall". Like most things in New York, named after the highest bidder!

I sent you a pm in reply to one of your 'sosh' messages as I can't initiate pms...

It is a link that you may have to open then leave a bit so it doesn't keep buffering...

I love that Harnancourt recording and I listen to it often ar Christmas

[quote user="NormanH"]I sent you a pm in reply to one of your 'sosh' messages as I can't initiate pms...

It is a link that you may have to open then leave a bit so it doesn't keep buffering...

I love that Harnancourt recording and I listen to it often ar Christmas

[/quote]

I plan to open a new google account as it didn't recognise my password and, when I requested a new password, they wanted to send it to my old Neuf address.  I will have a go though but I was disappointed.

Richard51, thank you for telling me the new name of the Avery Fisher hall.  Thank goodness, we shan't be calling the Royal Albert Hall something else ...........!  But I musn't speak too soon, maybe if the coffers are empty (post Brexit), a Russian oligarch might come along and offer us some money if we'd change the name?

[quote user="richard51"]"The first time I heard his St Matthew's Passion (I was going to say in its entirety but that wouldn't have been true) was in the Avery Fisher Hall in New York".

Now called the "David Geffen Hall". Like most things in New York, named after the highest bidder![/quote]

Isn't it strange that if you learn of something new, you nearly always hear it again soon afterwards?

Today I read that DG, a media mogul (whatever that is) has sold his Malibu property for 85 million dollars.

I suppose I'd never have noticed the name before, until you told me.  Oh well, a mere concert hall in NY, albeit a very large and prestigious one, is small change for him?

Mint wrote :

Today I read that DG, a media mogul (whatever that is) has sold his Malibu property for 85 million dollars.

I suppose I'd never have noticed the name before, until you told me.

His name meant little to me too, so I looked him up on Wiki and found that, however he earned his money, he seemed to be doing some good with it.

Courtesy of Wiki :

David Geffen is an American business magnate, producer, film studio executive, and philanthropist. Geffen created or co-created Asylum Records in 1970, Geffen Records in 1980, DGC Records in 1990, and DreamWorks SKG in 1994. His donations to the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and other educational and research donations have widened his fame beyond the entertainment industry.

Sue

Bravo, that man![:D]

Other thing I noticed whilst in NY was how much cheaper concert and opera tickets were than in the UK.  And the UK places get public subsidies!  All I can say is, it works well if you give big tax incentives for private individuals and companies to subsidise the arts.

The cost of tickets must be a big factor in keeping the arts "elitist" because only people with money can afford to go.  I was amazed that I could just ring up the theatre, concert hall, and book tickets, even on the same day!!!  And it wasn't pre on-line booking either.  If I remember rightly, the tickets were less than a quarter of the prize I'd expect to pay.

When I got back to the UK, I could boast that we went to the theatre and the opera every night during our stay in NY[:D]