Norman, are you listening?

mint

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
You might like this morning's Building a Library so do listen if you can.

I also see from my mail box last night that they have extended the deadline for submissions for Cardiff Singer and I am wondering whether they are not receiving entrants of quality in sufficient numbers?[:-))]

• 2 weeks later...
Really enjoyed "first night" last night (sorry, I'm always playing these word games [:$])

The choir was great and the soloists were excellent.

I'm going to read the reviews later but I'd love to have your opinion?[:)]

I could only gape in wonder at the intricate and beautiful singing and, as you can probably tell, I don't know this piece at all well and it was a bit of an eye-opener for me.

• 1 month later...
Barenboim and his Divan orchestra on the TV tonight.

I never say "no" to some foot-tapping Bizet and actually, none of it sounds clichéd (urggghh...........is that a proper word?)

Barenboim is just the consummate showman, communicator and musical genius.

Please try and catch Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.

Not your usual interpretation with a massive choir, etc.

I found it completely mesmerising and there was never a quaver in the solos' singing[:D]

Can you also look in your PM box, stp?

Now knowing that we both loathe the telephone, I hesitate to ring the barrel?

Please try and catch Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.

Not your usual interpretation with a massive choir, etc.

I found it completely mesmerising and there was never a quaver in the solos' singing[:D]

Can you also look in your PM box, stp?

Now knowing that we both loathe the telephone, I hesitate to ring the barrel?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
BBCTV3 tonight 9.00 French time, lovely BBC archival material of Placido Domingo throughout all the decades he's appeared on BBC programmes.

Lovely trip through memory lane, as it were, and fascinating to see how music presentation and representation have changed through the years.  And, my goodness, you just couldn't begin to compare the presenters!!!

You had the likes of Richard Baker who could sit down at a piano and accompany PD...............[:D]

• 2 weeks later...
For those (which includes Mr and Mrs Gluey) who adore baroque choral music, Harry Christophers and The Sixteen are the very pinnacle.

My own particular love is Elin Manahan Thomas ( q.v. ) who sings with The Sixteen, and her fantastic rendition of Verdi's Nulla In Mundo Pax Sincera.

She has a fantastic easy vibrato and her short duration trills are awesome. A few yeasr back I was laying in my bed one afternoon, suffering a nasty virus and feeling bloody awful! I had left a classics programme running in my office, quietly and awoke from a fever, to hear the sound of an angel signing! This was Elin! Emailed the presenter, traced the album and immediately ordered it online..........

This track is in her triumphal album Eternal Light.

Here is Christophers and the Sixteen's programme about Tomás Luis Victoria another much ignored genius. Q.V.

Additionally, Youtube carries a BBC series, presented by the wonderful Simon Russell Beale, which is really worth watching: all epsiodes.

QV

Apologies, Norman, for not responding to your post.  Alas, we have not been able to get Arte since we moved from our previous house so your post is very much appreciated.

Gluey, yes, we are admirers of Elin Manahan Thomas, and not just because she happens to be Welsh[:P]

It was Norman, BTW, who introduced me to Victoria and now I am really "getting" his music and find it very moving.

However, can't agree about SRB...................I am no fan.

[quote user="mint"]Apologies, Norman, for not responding to your post.  Alas, we have not been able to get Arte since we moved from our previous house so your post is very much appreciated.

Gluey, yes, we are admirers of Elin Manahan Thomas, and not just because she happens to be Welsh[:P]

It was Norman, BTW, who introduced me to Victoria and now I am really "getting" his music and find it very moving.

However, can't agree about SRB...................I am no fan.

[/quote]

Don't be put off, mint: it is after all, the Sixteen and singing in some of the most wondrous European centres and birthplaces of music.

Simon only presents and does the voice overs.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
They have now chosen the 20 singers and the jury for Cardiff Singer.

Sorry, can't do links but you will find all the info on the BBC website.

Intriguingly, singers for the first time from some unexpected countries.