Living France magazine change of ownership

Lucy_J_Cypher

Some of you may have heard about this at the Vive La France exhibition, or read about it in the trade press, but I just thought I'd let you know that Living France magazine has been sold to Archant Life, the magazine division of Archant, one of the fastest growing independent media companies in the country, with daily and weekly newspapers and over 40 magazine titles.

Trevor Yorke (of Richard and Judy fame ), who published the magazine up until a few weeks ago, and writes and photographs the extensive, 16-page features on different parts of France each month, is to continue working for Living France as a photographer and journalist, and as a consultant to the magazine. He decided to hand over the reins (and the number crunching) to Archant Life so he can concentrate on doing what he loves, that is living in and travelling around France preparing articles for the magazine.

Some of you may also know that Archant Life also owns France magazine, but panic not, there are no plans to merge the two titles, nor to make fundamental changes to Living France magazine, just tweak it here and there to improve it.

So, keep your eye on Living France over the coming months and see if you can spot the subtle changes we intend to make. I hope you are happy with them!

What the sale should mean is that it will be easier to find your copy of Living France in the newsagent as Archant holds far more sway with WH Smith than we ever could as one little publisher on our own. It will also mean that Living France as a whole (the magazine and the website) will develop into an even better resource for lovers of France interested in holidaying and buying property in the country.

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know the situation before you read about it in the February issue (on sale 31 Jan), where Trevor explains more in his editorial about his decision to sell, and his plans for the future.

Best wishes

Lucy-Jane Cypher
Editor
Living France magazine

Just one plea - as editor will you be making sure both the magazine and the website remain as practical as they are now. I subscribe as it is the only magazine about France that I found that gives the information people need rather than just glossy photo's and aspirational ideas.

I am sorry to read that the magazine and website have been sold.
I have all issues from No2 and I have enjoyed experiencing its development. I can fully understand the publisher cashing in to fund his semi-retirement and I wish him well, also of course the team. It will be interesting to see how the magazine evolves, especially as I have recently renewed my subsription for a further two years!
Kind regards,
2Go

LAST EDITED ON 23-Jan-03 AT 10:38 PM (GMT)

Lucy,

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to let us know about all this. This in and of itself is most impressive and shows LF's dedication and appreciation of it readers. I have say that I do buy a number of similar publications, but none of them really compare to LF. The quality of the LF magazine, its research and practical information is second to none. The photography never fails to lift my spirits and set me dreaming. Most important, I find that LF really tells it like it is and with a lot more depth than similar publications especially on issues of everyday French living -- and that to me is invaluable. I save all of my LF issues.

I also noticed that LF offers its readership the opportunity to write for the magazine; is this something that the new publisher will keep up -- my experience with larger organisations is that these kinds of opportunities would never happen for even the most dedicated of readers.

Hats off to you all for having given us so much pleasure and for making reading about all things France fun.

Warmest Regards,

Lisa

"He who does not Question, Does not Think, He who does not Think, does not Know; He who does not Know, never truly Is." Live and Let Live!!

Dear Lucy,

Thanks for letting us know about the sale Of Living France, Trevor did tell me about it at the exhibition and I brought to his notice the time when, a few years ago, he left the magazine for a time. I cannot now recall the reasons unless I go back and find the story in one of the back issues and as I have every issue with the exception of No.1 it would take me some time. However, I do remember, very clearly, that during Trevor's absence the magazine suffered, in my opinion, both in quality, content, layout and lack of good regional items. When he returned, to an almost sinking ship, there was an immediate and drastic improvement and he turned the magazine round to being the excellent publication we now all enjoy so much. At the time the magazine was without Trevor at the helm, if it were not for the fact that I had a twenty-four month subscription, I would have ceased taking the magazine. I hope Archant is well aware of and heeds this piece of history. I do not believe that France magazine comes anywhere close to the diversity, personal insights and enthusiasm that Trevor manages to produce in every single issue. I realise that one man cannot produce a magazine alone, but his enthusiasm permeates to all his colleagues and this is evident from the high quality content. I am glad that he will still be involved at Living France. I was a film cameraman for forty years, it is well known in the industry that stills photographers and cameramen do not get along too well, but believe me, if I had taken the photographs that Trevor produces, I would have been very proud. He is one of the best landscape photographers I have ever seen and it was nice to see him blush when I told him so. I hope he now finds time to do what he does best and that he enjoys it. If you have a formula as successful as L/F don't change it for the sake of change - a good example is Heinz Tomato Ketchup - it's been the same since Moses was a boy and it's still the best. Good luck Living France.
Bill Glass ex Lighting Cameraman.

• 3 months later...