Errors on Forum caused by Javascript

Ex Forum Admin

Javascript issues are most likely caused by old browser versions or browser security settings…  It might be worth users who are having problems with IE, add www.livingfrance.com to their Trusted sites (In IE, select Tools menu, select Internet Options heading, and then click the Security tab in the window that opens).  This might help sort things out.

[quote]Not in my IE it doesn't! (Probably my fault for having a Mac again... I must stop buying good computers).[/quote]

I'm afraid, Dick that whilst most Macs are excellent, they only really excel in a limited range of areas (which is why they are universally popular in Graphics).

Javascript itself is an out-of-date pile of poo, which has "issues" with most Microsoft OS's, so what chance do you have?

'fraid I shall call you a plonker for buying a Mac (I presume that you paid over the odds for it) & stick to my throw-away PC's. If it don't work, don't fix it, **** it.......

Nick - if anyone is a plinker...

(I mis-spelled that, but decided to leave it alone, it seems less harsh, somehow, but strangely appropriate)

My Mac is good at graphics, but it mostly runs Office and the internet, although I do keep my extensive photo library on it, and manipulate and print using Photoshop. Like most Macs outside of graphics studios and website design.

It wasn't expensive for the spec, the new iMac is even better, and it isn't the badly designed beige bucket that so many people end up with!

And I'm sorry, but the Mac demographic is better than the PC, as I've posted elsewhere, just like buying high-quality cars instead of Skodas or Bosch instead of Ferm, Sony instead of Goldstar. Are all of those people paying 'over the odds'?

All of which detracts from the point that the software for this forum should work, and work for everyone.

I work on a Mac too Dick, and it's exasperating sometimes. Can't do internet banking, for example. Some sites work, some don't. Anyway it wasn't my choice, it's because I work in a design studio (although I'm not a designer!)

When I click on people's names at the left of their message, above the avatar, I get a strange empty box. Dare to click again, and I get unceremoniously thrown out of the internet altogether! Same thing happens when I click on the control panel.

Funny, I don't have any problems with any of that. I can also do Internet banking! (I tend to use IE for transactions and some shopping and Safari for surfing - Safari renders the screen far better but IE has all the nasty Micros**t bits in it).

But if you WERE a designer, I'm sure you would have a different opinion!

Nothing to do with my earlier reply, but, if I try to access the level above this one;

"Living France Magazine"  from the front menu, I get this;

Server Error in '/' Application.

Value cannot be null. Parameter name: url

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: url

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.Parameter name: url]   System.Web.HttpResponse.Redirect(String url, Boolean endResponse) +486   InstantASP.InstantForum.WebSite.navigation.Page_Load(Object Sender, EventArgs E)   System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +731

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.510; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.510

I had to access this thread via Dick's reply to my earlier post .............

Java really is a pile of Poo... Haven't I heard that MS aren't supporting it any more? Isn't Sun suing them?

I've tried altering the security settings as suggested and it has made no difference. I cannot get into Control Panel (although I can see it if someone sends me a PM and I click on that link) and I cannot get into Search either. Both these come up with a Javascript error. I can't do Spell Check (Error on page) but I can do Preview.

I do not have these problems with other Forums.

I'm on IE5 and Win95 with AVG.

Liz (29)