recent posts-or maybe not

Leschenauds

I exited the forum at about this time yesterday and came back again this morning. When I asked to see ' recent posts since last visit' nothing whatever appeared to have been posted but when I requested 'new posts in last 24 hours' a whole load of posts appeared. Why would this be happening it seems to be similar to the old format 'mark as read' but it doesn't work.

I've had the same problem - despite eventually finding the mark topics as read  - when I use posts since my last visit and posts in the last 12 or 24 hours I get different items.

I started to think I was just forgetting what I has read or scanned over but I'm glad someone else agrees.

I also don't like the fact that when I click mark topics read it logs me out to be a guest - ie I can't then access my PM box without logging back in again.

Nice to hear that it's not just me. Where on earth did you find 'mark topics as read. I don't doubt that the new format is OK but it just isn't as intuative as the old forum software. It looks like it was developed by 'experts' and a 'help' function would be useful. maybe one of the ? moderators? could write a faq for the rest of us.

[quote]Nice to hear that it's not just me. Where on earth did you find 'mark topics as read. I don't doubt that the new format is OK but it just isn't as intuative as the old forum software. It looks like it...[/quote]

Hi

Go to the "Living France Forums" Main page, scroll down the page and just under Regions "Corsica" on the right, is mark as read box.  It appears that you need to Log in first for it to work correctly, the same as posts since my last visit.

[quote]Nice to hear that it's not just me. Where on earth did you find 'mark topics as read. I don't doubt that the new format is OK but it just isn't as intuative as the old forum software. It looks like it...[/quote]

Don't use it - it marks ALL topics as read - you cannot select to say which topics you have read. Whereas with the old forum, it you could mark a specific topic as read, and when you returned you would see all the parts of the topic which you had read, marked as read, and it would be obvious which posts you had not read.

Topics since last visit only works until you post, then you get everything again. If you click for topics since last visit, it assumes you have only just logged on and there may be nothing there!

I wish we could help more, but I'm afraid we are as much in the dark as you. There are many things that we should be able to do, but they just don't work for some of us, or sometimes they work and other times they don't (like the quote - I'd hoped to highlight the bit I was replying to).

[quote]I wish we could help more, but I'm afraid we are as much in the dark as you. There are many things that we should be able to do, but they just don't work for some of us, or sometimes they work and oth...[/quote]

(like the quote - I'd hoped to highlight the bit I was replying to).

The only way I can see to do that is to select it, copy then paste - but then you end up with this situation having clicked on Quote.  So perhaps best to do this and use Reply to Topic instead and you could add some quotes around it manually I suppose.  Problem is Reply to Topic is in the Topic Options at the Top and not near the item you want to reply to.  Think I'm still in the right place!!

[quote]I exited the forum at about this time yesterday and came back again this morning. When I asked to see ' recent posts since last visit' nothing whatever appeared to have been posted but when I requeste...[/quote]

OK. Is this some sort of intelligence test. Where is the button to reply without a quote?

When I try to logout, a message says something along the lines of "if you have chosen automated logon........" What automated logon, no mention of this facility in the obvious (sic) place, the Control Panel.

I await the response to this installment with bated breath.

Brian Owen

"OK. Is this some sort of intelligence test. Where is the button to reply without a quote?
When I try to logout, a message says something along the lines of "if you have chosen automated logon........" What automated logon, no mention of this facility in the obvious (sic) place, the Control Panel.
I await the response to this installment with bated breath."

The Reply Option is on the Red bar right at the top of the topic marked Topic Options.  If you click on that then you will see some options.  I guess the automated logon is the bit where when you first go into the forum there is an option to tick a box to say log on automatically next time (or something like that, can't see without logging out and back in again)

Hey Will, think I've cracked it

The add reply 'button' at the top of the topic allows you to reply without quote. My main problem is that after more time than I care to think I cannot activate or recover my password.

I have been reduced to the Cyber equivalent of a Brazilian and have had to accepted gender realignment to log in. The Spell Check does not seem to do anything

Anton Redman (currently signed is a Isabel as new software has got the better of me)

Hello Anton - it's good to have you back in whatever shape or form!!

regards......helen

PS my problem is that everything is soooooooo slowwwww.

I read the other day that divorce rates are rising due to the internet. I can quite believe it as my wonderful man is getting extremely p.......d off as he thinks I am now addicted to chat rooms or something and it's all down to LF fora taking so long to load. Will probably have to give up as marriage is more important than LF!!!!!!.

Isabel/Anton or whoever you are today - did you not get the e-mail I sent after your appeal on our Normandy forum? Registration details are one thing I can sort out for users, unfortunately I can't make the software work properly or speed it up.

• 2 months later...