Deleted Posts/Threads

Tresco

Hi Tresco

The play thread was deleted because it had nothing to do with France and contained racist/derogatory remarks from the outset.

The physically sick thread had posts deleted and the reasons can be found on the thread.

The rules for posting on this forum are set out in the 'code of conduct' and need to be adhered to by all users.

Best Regards

James

Thank you for taking the time to reply James.

While the post  (titled 'sick protest') on the surface had 'nothing to do with France', the issues raised were very interesting, and I thought the 'conversation' (which I did not take part in) was intelligent and informative.

There have been many, many posts in the Post Bag which really have nothing to do with France, so I am uncertain as to why this could be a reason for deletion.

Yes, the original post was titled and expressed in very childishly racist language, ('sick', for Sikh, and comments about funny head gear etc). The post was clearly meant to incite in some way, but failed. Instead, the  issue raised, and comments which followed were extremely relevant to France.

With regards to the 'physically sick' thread, yes, Quillan posted the code of conduct, and highlighted certain sections, but please can you confirm whether the person whose post was   the cause of up to 10 following posts being deleted, is warned in any way, so that perhaps they may not make the same mistake again.

I ask because I took part in that part of the thread, along with Outcast, Nelson, and Wendy James.

If, for instance, it was one of my posts, (and I was snippy), I would appreciate it if someone could inform me how I had transgressed the 'code', and whether the threads were deleted as a result of a complaint from another forum user, or whether the forum moderators, independently, felt 'I' had stepped over what seems to be a very wavy line.

James,

I'm with Tresco on this. The sikh/sick thread was racist from the start, I agree, but it ran for at least a couple of days, perhaps more, before you decided it was racist. Why?

The 'physically sick' thread had lots of posts deleted, and Quillan said it was because they didn't make sense without the offending one. That can't be true, as the offending one came at the end, and therefore had no effect on what went before.

Threads that are unconnected to France often appear in the postbag. The fox hunting one ran and ran, although I notice that has also mysteriously been deleted in its entirety.

Can I suggest something for the well-being of the forum? Why don't you make sure that banned posters stay banned? 'outcast' has been banned in a previous identity as 'rubberduck', then as '10 4', and probably as 'dunrunnin' too. He is responsible for practically all the recent unpleasantness on this forum, along with the originator of the sikh/sick thread - it wouldn't surprise me if they were the same person.

By the way Tresco, I was told by a member who saw it (not a mod) that the offending post was one by 'outcast' aimed at me. That's the 'outcast' who is banned from this forum...

Wendy

Wendy, I'm sorry to hear you have been singled out again by outcast, and glad the post was deleted.

With regard to the other thread, ('sick (sikh) protest') which was deleted in it's entirety, I believe threads touching on race 'relations', and racism are 100% relevant, wherever we live.

I agree Tresco and it's a pity that members of the forum can't keep the thread civilised and have a discussion rather than posting derogatory remarks.

I am currently looking into banning users for life rather than them coming back in another reincarnation. When a user is warned they are done so off the forum and if they persist they are banned. We do have posts stored so we know who has been warned before.

Best Regards

James

I have this morning received further details from a forum moderator as to why all the recent deletions occurred.

By the way Albi, one of the threads deleted was mine, but I did not 'run squeaking'. I did appreciate being contacted with an explanation though.

Albi, please refer to the terms and conditions of the forum.

Many subjects could be debated at more length if it wasn't for certain individuals 'overstepping the mark' in a way that is often accusing, personal and offensive. Debate can be robust without forgetting common courtesy or manners.

Please remember that forum is provided by Archant free of charge. Forum Admin has many other duties in regard to Living France magazine and the moderators are volunteers. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we do not ban people lightly but nor are we willing to warn the same people over and over again even if they are in different guises.

"I think you are being very intolerant."

The intolerance is mostly yours. You seem to delight in skirting the fringes of what is acceptable. It seems to amuse you to refer to Sikhs as 'sicks', who wear 'funny' bits of cloth in their long hair. That sort of post is puerile and racist. It annoys you that, in your eyes, Sikhs in Britain don't just integrate into the country which colonised theirs. Perhaps you should spend more time integrating into your country of residence, you could go to a French forum and post in French there - after all, the time you spend here makes you a hypocrite.