Complete France Forum

Still slow at times ?

Miki

I have no broadband, but this is sometimes the most ridiculously slow site, compared to other similar set ups. I have a number of house and garden jobs, timed, that I can do when it is normal, slow, and ridiculously slow.

Then there are the other failings, the seach, PSMLV functions etc.

I have to ask again, is this as good as it gets?

".....I have to ask again, is this as good as it gets? ""

I hope not Tresco, Mr Mourinho signed a new 5 year contract this afternoon

As for the site, we have been promised new and further improvements but that was months ago but as is infamously said, "you can't rush these things" !

I am rather astonished because NO site I know, is as slow as this one is at times.

I hope not Tresco, Mr Mourinho signed a new 5 year contract this afternoon  I'll sneak this in here, I think you have got a good'un there Miki, but then you have had a couple of others before that looked pretty peachy. I can but hope

As to the other, less important stuff, I havn't seen Tim here for a while, but I still would like to know, is this as good as it gets?. There are things here that don't work by any standards.

I agree, it is slow at times. I don't know too much about how the internet shares out its capacity but think the main difficulty may be outside Living France's control. When I have looked at other similar sites recently they have been slow too, despite having a good dialup connection and being able to download large e-mails comparatively rapidly. Total France, which always used to be held up as an example of efficient forum software, has been extremely slow when I have looked at it in the last few days.

As far as the non-working features are concerned, these are, as Forum Admin has said before, due to be fixed in the next version of the forum software. This has been promised since, I think, last August, but does now (at last) seem to be under what the IT gurus call 'beta test' .

I agree that it is slow (and has been for some time). I did e-mail LF about it and “technical” had already been told and were investigating.

I mainly use TF and, when LF is slow TF is generally fine (i.e. much faster). Similarly, when LF is slow, other sites run fine so I doubt it is related to how busy the internet is.

After the previous set of problems I departed and have gradually returned yet it seems the same things are happening again. I do hope they sort it out soon (and the poor functionality).

Hardly scientific but I think it depends upon the time of day you look in.  I'm usually very early in the morning and find it quite speedy.  However, if I look in later, especially around lunchtime UK time, even with Broadband it's noticeably slower presumably due to the traffic?  (Didn't Eleanor once say Tuesday lunchtime was the busiest time of the week for the Forum?  Why Tuesday???)  M

It is 7.30 pm. here in the UK on a Sunday evening, and I am on Broadband. It must be a very popular time as the site is as slow as I have ever known it. Most other times it is as quick as any other site I use so it seems to be a matter of picking the best time

We seem to be going back to the bad old days of a few months ago. Got several of these when trying to access the forums front page, recently (most recent 2 mins ago);

Server Error in '/' Application.

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server
 is not responding.]   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior
 runBehavior, Boolean returnStream) +742   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +194
  InstantASP.InstantForum.Logic.UpdateLastLoginDate(Int32 UserID) +221   InstantASP.InstantForum.Logic.UserLogin
(Int32 userID) +979   InstantASP.InstantForum.WebSite.Global.Session_OnStart(Object Sender, EventArgs E) 
  System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.RaiseOnStart(EventArgs e) +132   System.Web.SessionState.
SessionStateModule.CompleteAcquireState() +512   System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.BeginAcquireState
(Object source, EventArgs e, AsyncCallback cb, Object extraData) +697   System.Web.AsyncEventExecutionStep.System.
Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute() +66   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, 
Boolean& completedSynchronously) +173

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.

Except that my sticky backspace key got rid of some of it.......

Doing a search 18:01 (and a couple afterwards as well)

Server Error in '/' Application.

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, TdsParserState state) +177

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, TdsParserState state) +52

System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning() +678

System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadNetlib(Int32 bytesExpected) +499

System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadBuffer() +120

System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadByteArray(Byte[] buff, Int32 offset, Int32 len) +224

System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadString(Int32 length) +86

System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadValue(_SqlMetaData md, Int32 length) +776

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.SeqRead(Int32 i, Boolean useSQLTypes, Boolean byteAccess, Boolean& isNull) +408

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.SeqRead(Int32 i, Boolean useSQLTypes, Boolean byteAccess) +28

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetValues(Object[] values) +110

System.Data.Common.SchemaMapping.LoadDataRow(Boolean clearDataValues, Boolean acceptChanges) +63

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillLoadDataRow(SchemaMapping mapping) +157

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillFromReader(Object data, String srcTable, IDataReader dataReader, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, DataColumn parentChapterColumn, Object parentChapterValue) +260

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable, IDataReader dataReader, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords) +129

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillFromCommand(Object data, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +304

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +77

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable) +36

InstantASP.InstantForum.Logic.SearchForums(String strQuery, String strForumID, String strOrderBy, String strSortOrder, String strSearchType, String strMemberName, String strPostedWithin, String strSearchWithin, Boolean bolMemberNameExactMatch, Boolean bolIncludeBannedMembers, String strMemberGroupIDFromSearch, String CurrentUserMemberGroupID) +2194

InstantASP.InstantForum.WebSite.search.BindSearchResults()

InstantASP.InstantForum.WebSite.search.Page_Load(Object Sender, EventArgs E)

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +744

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

This site and others have deteriorated (in speed) for me just this week - but the degraded performance seems to date from when I downloaded the latest AVG update. Has anyone suffering speed problems done an AVG update? Or am I being paranoid??

My AVG updates daily (and I saw it do this last night) and I've not had problems with sites other than LF (i.e. all other sites are OK). Also, the LF speed is very variable (occasionally fine, normally slow, sometimes disastrous).

• 3 weeks later...
Well it is still awfully slow (for me) a lot of the time and as no one else seems to have said anything for a while, is it only me then ?

I would think that it has to be this site as we have no problems at all with any other site. We were told all would be much faster as and when, has that time passed or are we still awiting that moment or rather, is it me and only me that is awaiting an improvement. I was also told that the improvement would mean that all browsers inc mozilla would be OK to see everything before long, well that hasn't happened or are improvements an ongoing matter still ?!

I guess at the end of the day, from your point of view, the choice is either you want to get it up to speed or perhaps, simply you don't feel it is worth doing so for the few complaints you receive. Is this system as bad as I think it is and there is actually not much chance of it ever being as good (in running) as so many other sites, forums or otherwise ?

If it is just me, then apologies.

Look at this page for instance and how the "forum" has allowed it go well over size, making it pretty worthless now as a post !