Totally rubbish

Miki

Well I think its clear Tresco - I was only trying to help, one - to show you how your post could be read in numerous ways by anyone - and two, to point out to christine.... that your first name was mentioned, and that I'd never seen it before so that's probably what you were referring to, rather than making comments about her being anonymous.  Also, that the pink and fluffy bit was probably meant as she was being nice - which it turned out was true!

Christine - don't post such comments in public if you don't want anyone else to read them and then try to explain where there may be crossed lines in communication.  I was only trying to help - but clearly that isn't welcome (presumably because of what happened on another thread to which I was contributing and you will therefore apparently take anything I say as being unhelpful or whatever from now on)!

[quote]Well that's just typical of you Christine! I know you have a great big Alsation type dog for your Atavar, but I strongly suspect you of being a different type of 'animal' altogether..... A Pink Fl...[/quote]

Amazing. I've looked at it now - I always saw it as a flying duck!

Sorry Christine, I didn't think you were into saving ducks.

[quote]Tresco, will you have another glass of Fluffy Pink Rosé with me ? (The "peacemaker" and I already met...)[/quote]

Christine - one last try, I was only trying to help - can we please bury the hatchet and forget that other thread, or am I supposed to make sure I avoid posting to you from now on?

Christine - let you into a secret: I've never shot anything other than at a target with my dad's air rifle as a child.  Whats more, apparently the fact that I'm cross dominant means I wouldn't have a chance even if I tried.  So, rest assured your ducks are safe!

'Well, we can at least say that Tresco came back with a big Bang !       '

Oh yes, and that she left with a pathetic whimper!

The worst thing is not the misunderstanding, been there with a couple of folks here; sorted it, and we got there this time.

Oh no, it's the fact that I had to out myself as a u no wot

And so to bed (or burrow).

The 'no posting while shattered' light is now clearly illuminated, along with the rest of'em.

[quote]I believe that IS are looking into other forum software rather than going with the updates to this current software. Will let you know when I know more.[/quote]

For almost a year now we have endured thus “sub-standard” forum software, regularly being assured the next update is now going to make everything better. We have been assured that IS have a “strategy” (Microsoft based) and that this software is the only/best option, etc. As I understand it, it was IS that “after extensive evaluation, etc.” selected this software.

A couple of questions:

1. the forum software has not changed. Why can we not have the updated version that will make everything better (as promised throughout the last year) ?

2. if IS now admit that this system is so bad it needs to be changed, are they really the best people to select a different system (given that they selected this one) ?

3. does this “we are now looking at other software” vindicate all those who stood-up and were critical of this forum software ?

4. given that nothing in life is free and that magazine subscriptions and advertisements effectively pay for this forum, are the publishers going to get a refund on this system or is it money wasted ?

[quote]Ooooh Miki, you cross patch Surely FK should be applauded for his bar clearing skills alone (in the right circumstances that's a very useful 'skill') I don't think it's post modernist (i'm still no...[/quote]

I remember when I was a young lad back in County Kildare,

I was so desperate to have me very own Squirell, that one day I decided the only way to get one of these beautiful little bushy tailed creatures, was to become a nut! Now I don't really hang round in bars like Mr Miki, I prefered to hang round in trees! It was on a sunday morning after coming home from Mass, I changed out of me best dungarees and I put on me old onion sack that I wore everyday, and glued bits of the peanuts on meself that I had been collecting for the harvest festival, and climbed me favourite Oak tree in Mr Mulligans Donkey Farm. I hung upside down and acted like a nut for 3 hours to attract the attention of a couple of grey Squirells that were playing in the tree! The little ejits never came near me! maybe they never even saw me nuts? i don't know to this day! I was devasted and very dizzy and confused as a result of hanging upside down for so long. I think the rush of blood from me feet to me head sent me a bit quare!  As I climbed down from the tree, I caught me onion sack on a branch and ripped a great big hole in it! Me Mammy would go berzerk when she saw it I thought to meself, I only had it a year and it would have done me Brother when I grew out of it. I need not have worried at all, as when I got home she had made me a grand pair of slacks from a candlewick bedspread that was given to us by the bus drivers wife, It was a surprise for me 16th birthday! I was over the moon as I could wear them to me first job interview at the cabbage factory at Borris in Ossary the next day (I never got the job mind)

"as the door closes behind you, you must open it again if you want to get out" as they say in County Kerry!

Does anyone remember that Sam Cooke lad singing about The Chicken Slacks? I wonder where you could buy them now?

Enter Mr Furry Thing.

I hung upside down and acted like a nut for 3 hours 

Oh, come on Mr Nix, 3 hours???? What about the other

3000, 0000 hours??? !

Me Mammy would go berzerk

I like the sound of this, especially the Z part, because there really is a Z if you have a Mad Irish Mother (like me, and MOH, and Mr Furry Pants) . It's all the best laugh I've had in ages, thanks to Mr Fluffypants

Ah Christine, I've been doing deeds elsewhere. I will be back soon, for more laughs I hope 

[quote]For almost a year now we have endured thus “sub-standard” forum software, regularly being assured the next update is now going to make everything better. We have been assured that IS have a “strategy...[/quote]

In response to Deimos, here's an update on what's happening concerning the forum system.

1) The current forum system has not changed because over the year its supplier has failed to deliver a version that is production ready and worth upgrading to. A number of scalability problems have been identified with the current version, none of which can be easily rectified without a ground-up structural rewrite. We have looked at the latest release of this software, and found it wanting in terms of performance and scalability.

As such, we have continued to evaluate alternative pieces of software and have selected an industry leading product from Telligent Systems. This is a forum engine with proven commercial scaliability, and can be found powering large-scale forums in various areas.

Some example sites:

http://forums.xbox.com

http://forums.asp.net

http://forums.microsoft.com

We have completed some initial migration work, and are looking to move all forums onto the new platform within the next few months.

2) The current system was selected on the grounds that it was the best suited to our needs at the time. However business requirements have changed over the last year, and we've seen the volume of traffic grow beyond all expectation.

3) Yes & no

4) The forum is not directly funded by the magazine as it is an instance of a system shared across 150 other websites.

Regards

Wonderful news I looked at the second forum http://forums.asp.net just for the hell of it and noticed in the Bugs & Problems with this website on the third post the following.  does it ring a bell

When is searching going to be fixed 

[quote]Wonderful news I looked at the second forum http://forums.asp.net just for the hell of it and noticed in the Bugs & Problems with this website on the third post the following. does it ring ...[/quote]

I have to say we haven't seen these search problems on the build we're running here. I'm not sure whether asp.net forums are running a customised or stock version, but ours doesn't seem to behave in the same way.

Before deploying however I'll ensure that someone goes through the bug list shown on asp.net forums.

Regards

[quote]May be the slowness of the Forum is to match the pace of life we all dream about in France??? But I agree it is a bit snail like... Steve[/quote]

**May be the slowness of the Forum is to match the pace of life we all dream about in France??? But I agree it is a bit snail like...**

I just searched for 'pylons' and it took 21 seconds.

I'm impressed you got something, Ray!  Its been really slow for me today and last night - much worse than usual.  I've even tried disconnecting my broadband connection, rebooting my pc and getting back on again just in case its me - but no, its still slow.

That's funny, look what I got :

Server Error in '/' Application.

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream) +742

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +45

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +5

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillFromCommand(Object data, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +304

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +77

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable) +36

InstantASP.InstantForum.Logic.SearchForums(String strQuery, String strForumID, String strOrderBy, String strSortOrder, String strSearchType, String strMemberName, String strPostedWithin, String strSearchWithin, Boolean bolMemberNameExactMatch, Boolean bolIncludeBannedMembers, String strMemberGroupIDFromSearch, String CurrentUserMemberGroupID) +2194

InstantASP.InstantForum.WebSite.search.BindSearchResults()

InstantASP.InstantForum.WebSite.search.Page_Load(Object Sender, EventArgs E)

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +744

Not sure what that says about Pylons !

Looks familiar to me, Miki!  Since we're not exactly geographically close at the moment, I guess its not just something personal to me then!

I also find that if I hit the search link on the top right of this screen it ignores me altogether.  If I leave my cursor where it is I still see the little timer as if its doing something - the minute I move my cursor or go to another screen, it stops doing anything.  To have any chance at all of getting results I have to go into the advanced search option - which works when it feels like it.  I can at least leave that one to do its job while I do something else, to come back and see the gobbledegook later!!

[quote]I'm impressed you got something, Ray! Its been really slow for me today and last night - much worse than usual. I've even tried disconnecting my broadband connection, rebooting my pc and getting bac...[/quote]

**I'm impressed you got something, Ray!**

I just searched for 'snow' (lower case) and as you can see I got 334 messages in less than a minute. I'm using a G4 Mac with 56k internal modem and dial-up since we don't have broadband here yet and on Firefox.

Basic Forum Search

Keywords:

Keep search options visible to help refine search

Search Results Showing page 1 of 34 - 334 messages found

1. CLEVER SALES OR NOT? Posted Yesterday @ 22:15 by Ab

IN MARCH 2002 I HAD NEW POOL INSTALLED AND BOUGHT EXPENSIVE SAFETY COVER WHICH WOULD SUPPORT AN 8 YEAR OLD.COST£2,500. THIS HAS ALUMINIUM RODS WITHIN COVER AND RESTS ON CONCRETE SURROUNDS AND DOES NOT TOUCH THE WATER. AFTER A SEVERE WINTER I ALSO BOUGHT AN EXTRA 7 ALUMINIUM SUPPORTS TO RESIST BEN...

Home » Living in France » Swimming Pools

2. RE: New to forum - advice for renovation Posted Yesterday @ 17:49 by Alexis

Actually in Merdrignac is Michigan where you can get bits and bobs but the best place is Leroy Merlin in St Brieuc. There is also a shop next door to Michigan which sells everything. Building yard in fact. La Trinite Porhoet has Big Mat. Mauron has Queguin....can never spell their name. St Meen...

Home » Living in France » House Renovations

3. RE: Living, but doing nothing in France Posted 11/09/2005 17:41 by Lorribee

Weather what weather! We are one hour from Limoges, leaving Cornwall to come here, finding the difference in summer temperatures hard going but really enjoyed the winter, the snow we had was much less than expected and log burner did sterling job, don't give up on the area too quick,Linzi, been down...

Home » Living in France » Finding/Owning French Property

4. RE: Dry Compost Toilets Posted 11/09/2005 16:19 by Lorribee

Hi motorhead, Read with interest your informed advice to the original poster, we have as yet to receive the report from SATA I believe that is what the inspector called it,as to certificates etc, we have done what was necessary to accomadate our needs whilst we commence renovation on our houses. We...

Home » Living in France » House Renovations

[quote]Whoopee - it just speeded up! Is somebody listening and doing something about it out there??[/quote]

Nope Debra, Miki and I just logged off

I wonder, compared with TF which seems a lot faster, if the use of avatars on here etc has anything to do with response times, these things are often quite memory heavy.  I must admit that posting on here at the moment is like Chinese water torture and anyone on dial up probably posts, goes to bed and then gets up to find the post has been timed out in the early hours.  Did anyone else get locked out completely on Monday morning or was it just me??