Isn’t it about time somebody sorted out this forum.

Deimos

It's a rare occurrence, but I think, for once, that I understand what the original question is about.

I can truthfully say, without giving away any secrets, that the days of this forum software package are numbered, as Forum admin himself has recently alluded to the fact here: http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=307&MessageID=256289.

I don't need to reiterate the problems, I know that the Archant IS people are even more annoyed than certain users here that the upgrade promised by the software company that is supposed to cure the problems is more than a little overdue (it is now about 18 months since the originally promised delivery date which must be some sort of receord in the normally rapidly-changing world of IT). So an alternative has to be found. This isn't easy, we want as seamless a transition as possible between current and new forums, and whatever is chosen has to be compatible across the board with the web sites, databases etc that are used by the whole range of Archant's publications. However, a solution is being tried out and it does look promising. Following the problems with this forum Archant want to be absolutely sure that any replacement does exactly what it should, they cannot afford another false start. 

This is just for laughs Will, but when I clicked the link in your post it opened up a window with one of those oh so familiar server/error type screens (That's the kind of thing Deimos is on about, Quackers).

Did the 'allusion' give any hints as to when this new software might be installed?

This is the software we are moving to: http://communityserver.org/default.aspx, the search for one is much, much better...in so much as it actually works.

The only thing that we can't migrate easily is the private messages but we will email everyone who uses this facility so that they can make a copy of important ones before the migration takes place.

Also just to add:

IS have upgraded and migrated this forum (and all websites) successfully to a new server. This should dramatically improving server stability and produce a substantial increase in performance by means of the server’s integrated HTTP compression. Let's see how we get on....if you get any more 'server errors' let us know. Post them in this section. We are still tweeking a config setting as I write this to try to eliminate these...

Should be alot better when we move to the new software as well...

Hey guys you want to take a look at this site; www.moneysavingexpert.com and take a look at their forums (?) . Martin Lewis, the money saving expert, has from memory updated his website forum at least twice now this year and if you look carefully for the thread, you will see that this latest one is being very well received by its members.

MSE hasn't got the backing that Archant has but he seems to please his membership. Just remember guys, you upset your audience and they will steer clear of your products and vote with their feet!

Regards

As a pretty devoted fan of MSE ( I have often posted the link here) I feel fairly safe in saying that the needs of that site are vastly different from that of Archant, who as far as I am aware maintain many sites and forums.

To the best of my knowledge Martin Lewis's forum is solely for Money Saving Expert and excellent though it is you are simply not comparing 'eggs with eggs'

At last it looks as if there will be some progress here, so fingers crossed !

[quote]Forum Admin,This morning I repeatedly was given the welcome message of server error in application/out of memory and I still cannot open the control panel[/quote]

This should be resolved later today when our other 3 webservers come back on stream running Windows 2003/IIS6.

We're currently running on a single server, which although able to cope with our current levels of traffic seems to need more memory than it's current 3Gb. Unfortunately this seems to result in the occasional out of memory type error while it manages the load to keep everything running.

The other machines are currently being rebuilt, and once back online will enable the load to be shared across 4 servers rather than one.

All this talk of "control panel" and "private messaging" !!!!!!

I've never been able to see any link to access either and I still can't. I can only assume that the whole software thing isn't Firefox friendly. In this age of life beyond IE isn't it about time this problem was addressed ?

[quote]All this talk of "control panel" and "private messaging" !!!!!!I've never been able to see any link to access either and I still can't. I can only assume that the whole software thing isn't Firefox fr...[/quote]

I use Firefox and at present seem to have access to all the features

regards colin

p.s except spell check.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown.]

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

Unfortunately our upgrade over the weekend didn't quite go to plan. All our webservers have been upgraded but the loadbalancers (without which we can't bring the upgraded servers into service) have refused to come back online after an OS update.

We're currently working with F5 (the vendor concerned) to resolve the problems and get all systems back online.

Until then we may see a few more of these out of memory errors while we work through the problems.

Regards