Forum performance

All,

Firstly - thanks for your comments and ongoing patience!

As an update we have had a few hurdles to climb this weekend, but the end is fortunately now in sight.

Although we're still running on a single Windows 2003/IIS6 web server (and hence still subject to the odd out of memory error as it's now a very busy machine), as of 5 minutes ago our F5 loadbalancers have been successfully rebuilt, and we're in the process of configuring the 3 webservers prior to bringing them online.

At this point the traffic will be distributed among multiple machines, which should eliminate spurious memory problems as the load on each machine will be greatly reduced.

We have a few configuration synchronisation issues to resolve first, but we're aiming to be in a position to bring these machines back online by the end of the week.

Regards

Well with I.E

it has lots of icons, text sizes, fonts colours on the top row, as well Bold, italics, underline, style and many other wotsits inc. things that can x 4 

and at the side you have icons like and more !                
and at the bottom it has spellcheck  

things like this       and put in a text box

I can't get any like this on Firefox, can you and if so...how ?

I cheated and spent a few mins on I.E but don't like it, so....I'm jolly well orf back to F.F

Is M.E the problem though Gay ? Are you using I.E 6 or whatever they are up to now ? Whatdooeyeno abart compooters tho ???

Tim, I'm sorry, but in todays world of more and more people using alternative browsers to IE, just to stick your head in the sand is madness. It would be a bit like an engine manufacturer refusing to make engines that run on anything other than old four star leaded petrol.

If your software can't support other browsers then it should be a priority to replace it. There are plenty of other forums using software which works well with Firefox (and others. Forums can easily be migrated so why why why why why won't you do anything about it ?

Seriously, there are a huge number of Firefox users now and the numbers are growing on a daily basis. Surely you can do something to sort this mess out.

[quote]Tim, I'm sorry, but in todays world of more and more people using alternative browsers to IE, just to stick your head in the sand is madness. It would be a bit like an engine manufacturer refusing to ...[/quote]

Eslier

I'll refer you to my last post, and to other threads discussing the forums on this site.

There's no point or business benefit in doing any work to improve support for alternative browsers on this particular piece of software, as it's about to be replaced.

For your information, our forum installation cannot be easily migrated as there 170 other sites sharing the forums with tightly coupled integration with other core systems. It's unfortunately not quite as straightforward as a single site with a simple forum engine.

Our traffic levels also tend to complicate everything we do on the web as it has to be load tested to ensure the system can withstand extreme peaks in web traffic.

The lack of Firefox support has got nothing to do with sticking heads in the sand. When this forum was first commissioned Firefox didn't have any market share, and the vast majority of our target audience was running Internet Explorer. Consequently it simply wasn't a priority.

Today however it's a rather different situation, which is why our new forum system has improved support for non-IE browsers.

Most of our development team here (including me) run Firefox in preference to IE, and although some aspects of the site might not behave the same way as in IE, the key functionality certainly works ok in both browsers.

I hope this clarifies the situation

12:58 French time

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Server Error in '/' Application.

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidCastException: Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.]

Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.StringType.FromObject(Object Value) +615

InstantASP.InstantForum.Logic.ReturnSubject(Int32 MessageID) +367

InstantASP.InstantForum.WebSite.shwmessage.ThreadRepeater_ItemCreated(Object source, RepeaterItemEventArgs e)

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnItemCreated(RepeaterItemEventArgs e) +109

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateItem(Int32 itemIndex, ListItemType itemType, Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem) +92

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) +357

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +48

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.DataBind() +23

InstantASP.InstantForum.WebSite.shwmessage.BindData()

InstantASP.InstantForum.WebSite.shwmessage.Page_Load(Object Sender, EventArgs E)

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

[quote]I'm afraid there's little we can do about non IE browser support on this version of the software. However, we're making good progress through our rolling forum upgrade plan, and you can see the new fo...[/quote]

Hello Tim, just found your post regarding the forum upgrade.

I took a look at the Eastern Daily Press site and it is much much better than what you have here. It really looks good!

Looking forward to next week.

Drifter

PS hope you didn't get too much grief from members re the state of the Forum these last few weeks.

[quote]Hello Tim, just found your post regarding the forum upgrade. I took a look at the Eastern Daily Press site and it is much much better than what you have here. It really looks good! Looking forward ...[/quote]

No comment

The new forums are a complete step change in architecture, and although they've been a long time in the making, will give us a scalable platform to take forums forward.

We'll try to make the upgrade as painless as possible, but please keep an eye open for pinned posts / announcements concerning the changes.

"Eslier

I'll refer you to my last post, and to other threads discussing the forums on this site.

There's no point or business benefit in doing any work to improve support for alternative browsers on this particular piece of software, as it's about to be replaced."

Does this mean that the new software will work more reliably with Firefox?

I still get many error messages with the current software running on Firefox.

I use a lot of other building/woodworking/etc, forums which all work perfectly with Firefox.

Regards,

Bob Clarke

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux