Email and PM

Baz

How does one enable or disable either Email or PM  as a method of contact? Currently my posts are showing communication only  to my Email address rather than PM. I notice that every poster has Email communication as an option, if this is standard practice then I for one do not approve of this choice as I only wish to be communicated by PM.

Baz

Firstly you cannot see your own PM button, but everyone else can!

I haven't tested this, so I may be wrong but you could try going to 'Edit your details' scroll down to the last group of options and select NO against Receive Emails

There are notes about type size somewhere in the new forum threads....perhaps its a good time to test the search facility....( I'll put them here if I locate them)

PS Think this will do it.....

Simply holding down the Ctrl key and using the mouse scroll wheel will sort adjust the font size

Good Luck.........

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Firstly you cannot see your own PM button, but everyone else can!

I haven't tested this, so I may be wrong but you could try going to 'Edit your details' scroll down to the last group of options and select NO against Receive Emails

[/quote]

Gay, it was an interesting point you made that you cannot see your own PM on ones postings. With regards to editing your details and  selecting NO to receiving Emails, I had already tried that before posting my concerns. I am totally against having Email sent to me without prior agreement with the poster. Whilst your Email address is not visible to the poster, it was previously stated that Emails addresses were required for security purposes only when first signing up to the forum and would not be disclosed to third parties.

I hope that a resolve to this matter can found , as I  want this option removed from my posting asap.

Baz

I only know about the PM thing because I said the same thing as I couldn't see my PM button either.

Sometimes changes you make to the set up do not take place straight away, whether the email option is one of them I am not sure

This forum is set up differently in many ways and the mods have already highlighted some things to do with emails and I believe IS will be looking at it next week. Fingers crossed.!

I don't know if this helps, but the pm and email buttons are only enabled to registered users who are logged onto the forums. Try logging out using http://completefrance.com/cs/logout.aspx  and then viewing one of your posts.

It is a little odd that the language option when editing your details does not include french, but it could be that this is not so much a language thing as a foreign character support issue. Most browsers will support Unicode double-byte character sets such as Japanese and Thai, or non-latin scripts, but these languages will not be viewable on your PC if you do not have this set up within your operating system.  Or at least, that's the way I remember it from my software testing days.

I'm sure that someone directly linked to the development of the new forum will be able to provide a much better explanation [*-)]

[quote user="Cat 46"]

I don't know if this helps, but the pm and email buttons are only enabled to registered users who are logged onto the forums. Try logging out using http://completefrance.com/cs/logout.aspx  and then viewing one of your posts.

[/quote]

Thanks for that Cathy, but I and I suspect most members  using a private PC will not want to log out each time. The point I am making is that I only want PM as a method of contact and do not wish to be contact at my Email address without a prior arrangement with a poster. So there must be a method of removing Email contact  button and I believe there will be other members who will feel the same way. There have been in the past  members having abusive Emails sent to them and it therefore must be upto each person to decide how they want to be contacted.

I am quite happy that the Forum administrators can contact me at my Email  address. Also,  I believe under the Data protection act this is priviledged personal  information which can only be given out with the members permission and therefore am extremely surprised and concerned that the option to opt in appears not to be included in "edit your details". I hope the administrators will be able to resolve this matter after the weekend.

Baz

I'm not sure I understand this one - people could contact us by email before.  They didn't see the email address unless you replied directly to the email from your email program.  Isn't it the same now?  I can't see anyone's email address - or is that because the problem has been fixed now?

[quote user="DebraA64"]I'm not sure I understand this one - people could contact us by email before.  They didn't see the email address unless you replied directly to the email from your email program.  Isn't it the same now?  I can't see anyone's email address - or is that because the problem has been fixed now?[/quote]

Debra, On the previous set up YOU decided whether you wanted to be contacted by Email . The fact that your email address does not show is not the point as I am very selective for obvious reasons who can contact me via my Email box. I only gave my Email address for the Forum Administers purposes and not  for any other uses.

Baz

Baz, I don't remember any facility which prevented people sending emails via the forum either.

I'm not saying that that facility didn't exist though, what with all the wierdness of that set up. 

Still, no one on the forum can get your email address by sending you an email. If someone did send you an email, you could reply by pm.

I didn't think there was any need.  The email address is not displayed unless you want it to be, you can choose to receive emails or not by changing your profile - I don't see a problem.  I don't remember the ability to not receive emails in the old system but it seems to be replicated in this one anyway!

[quote user="DebraA64"]I didn't think there was any need.  The email address is not displayed unless you want it to be, you can choose to receive emails or not by changing your profile - I don't see a problem.  I don't remember the ability to not receive emails in the old system but it seems to be replicated in this one anyway![/quote]

Debra, the whole point of my above postings is you cannot choose whether to receive emails or not by changing your profile. If you change your profile to not receiving emails, it automatically defaults back after a few minutes to receiving them. This was first pointed out by Myfloss in a posting  above, which I can confirm is correct.

So I am pleased that James has removed the email  option until it can be corrected.

Baz

Hi,

On investigation it appears that the overall forum setting dictates whether or not email is available on the forum. When individuals change theirs to 'not recieve' it won't make a difference and in a way it is a pointless to give users the button.

If anyone does not wish to receive emails from forum users, go to your 'user profile' by clicking on your name, go to your 'private setting (not shared)' and edit your private email address to something that isn't your actual email address eg [email protected].

This will not effect your login email address.

Baz- I have done this for you.

James

Re P.M.s

If I received a new PM message on the old system, there was a notice at the top of the page to let me know.

I happened to look in my P.M. box today and there was a new (unread) message that had arrived yesterday.

Am I missing something here? or should I just check my PM box every time I look at the LF forum?[*-)]

Gill