Why the Delay?

Tresco

Why, when viewing the main page, is there a delay (10 minutes!) before we see that someone has replied to a post.

It's extremely irritating.

Edit: Well this has appeared immediately on the main page, but in the postbag there is a long delay.

There does seem something of a delay (often) and it does

make things look quite strange (particularly when you look for the “most recent

thread” at the top of the list and see another has got in there and somebody

else has posted to the thread you were interested in, etc.

Ian

[quote user="Tresco"]

Yes Gay, that's spot on, and  it is very variable.

Today one post I made in 'gardening' appeared quite quickly after maybe 30 seconds,  but another in the same section took 12 minutes to appear.

[/quote]

This forum seems to act quite strangely when compared to some other forums I have used. It does seem as if the software and/or hardware is not up to the job.

The delay between posts being made and being included on the front page is by design.

Due to the level of traffic the system has to support across all sites running the software, the front page is only updated with new posts every 5-10 minutes. From a performance point of view this means we can cache the rendered pages rather than recreating the lists of posts/threads every time someone views the forums.

This is probably the cause of the different behaviour as most other sites do not run a single forum system across 150 separate websites. If for example you compare the behaviour of these forums to other large scale systems with 100's of thousands of posts in each forum (such as the XBOX.com community forums) you'll see similar behaviour.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry Tim but it doesn't help.

How can such a delay be part of what you describe as 'high performance?'. Are you saying you could remove it without affecting overall performance, but that this wouldn't be easy to do, or that if you remove it the forums 'high performance' will suffer?

I'm sitting here at 30 minutes and counting waiting for a post I made to appear, both on the main page and in the section I posted in.

It drives me crazy.

Mrs T How do you move around the Forum?  If you use <  back all the time it wiill not refresh, you are just going back to your start page and not updating your screen.

After posting go to the top and hit the Forum button or  your refresh button, then  go to active and your post will be there, without any time delay whatsoever, unless of course you are on dial up and then the problem is with your set-up, not the Forum.

Thanks Ron but i'm not using 'back' at all. I'm doing what you do!

Tim has already said there is a built in delay, I havn't done anything to my computer to cause any of this.

Either my computer is failing to see the update in one section (the lighter side where I posted nearly and hour ago) or that section has gone 'rogue'.

Still just checked again, opened new window and refreshed, it's still not appeared. It's there, but no one would know it.

From the main page I see this. the time is now 17.15

The Lighter Side Of France
Amusing story to tell? Post your comical observations here.

Re: The LF website - a...
by Frank O'Fyle
Today, 12:24
72 636

And from within the lighter side I see this (sorry about format)

The LF website - a guide for newcomers

by Frank O'Fyle Page: 1, 2

by Frank O'Fyle 
Today, 12:24

That's what I can see, coming up to an hour and a half after I posted.

What can you see?

Yes I see what you mean.. The post is there but has not been picked up in the index at either top, or middle level after 2 hours! This does look like a bug, beacuse given the way that Tim describes the process it should update more often than two hourly

I rarely use the index relying on "active posts" which does update immmediately. .

Maybe its best that you use active or the individual topics to get round this.problem

But I was using Active!

Don't worry Mr A, and thanks again. T'was just me getting in a tizz.

If I had remembered that an edited post is listed as 'last post' I would have realised that was what had happened. FOF must have been editing is post as I was writing my reply to him.