changing details

Mysfloss

oops - I tried to change mine to my old one to test it and it let me.  Now I'm trying to change it back again and I'm getting a message saying I can't insert nulls in the user id field!  This suggests the email id is the key/user id - which fits in with searches only being available by email id - but how come it let me change it the first time??  Help!  Wish I hadn't fiddled now!

The e-mail address with which you registered is the key piece of information in member records which is why you cannot change it. I really don't know how it let you try this even once. You can change the user name, so it might be worth doing this, then re-registering with your new e-mail address, and choosing your old user name (or something very close to it). But if your e-mail address has been corrupted that will be difficult.

If you would like to ask the moderators or admin to look into it for you (send me a PM or e-mail if you like), giving your old and new e-mail addresses, we can try and sort it out. But we have fairly limited access to the member records so might have to refer it to Archant's IS people.They would be the people who would have to answer the question about turning e-mails on/off, I see no reason why you cannot (but if your e-mail address comes up as not being valid that might give a clue to the problem).

[quote user="Will the Conqueror"]

The e-mail address with which you registered is the key piece of information in member records which is why you cannot change it. I really don't know how it let you try this even once. You can change the user name, so it might be worth doing this, then re-registering with your new e-mail address, and choosing your old user name (or something very close to it). But if your e-mail address has been corrupted that will be difficult.

[/quote]

Will, are you saying then that the email address is being used as the primary/unique key ID in the SQL database? 

Gosh [:O]

[quote user="Cat 46"]

Will, are you saying then that the email address is being used as the primary/unique key ID in the SQL database? 

[/quote]

I know nothing about SQL databases - Tim from Archant IS would have to answer that I guess - but I think you are probably correct.