Post Icons

Will

Are the Post Icons (below the 'post message' box) really necessary? Does anybody really want them? Could they be removed?

I only ask because they often seem to take forever to load on the page when using a slow French dial-up connection. Some other thing, with a long URL beginning http://secure-uk.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/... that seems to be something to do with Archant, also delays the page loading, or freezes it altogether. Very irritating, when posting, editing or replying.

I am sure it is yet another of those little annoyances that puts people off using the forum.

I can remove icons in general but will need to talk to developer about just post icons (as apposed to all icons within posts as well).

If everyone is happy I could significantly reduce the number of icons...do we really need them all? I could cut down to 10 or so?

Tresco, I think I have found away of adding the old icons instead...[;)]...

EDIT: The new icons seem to be 4 times the size of the old icons! There are 12 in corsica that we could have instead?

Shall I put it to a vote??

How about ditching all the icons that aren't actually faces showing an emotion?

So we keep these, as they can help to express an emotion  [8-)] [:(] [:|] [:P] [:#] [:'(] [:@] [^o)] [:$] [:)] [:^)] [:O] [;)] [+o(] and ditch the rest.

That should speed things up a bit.

Oh James, you don't mean like these do you?

I think you would make many of us very happy.

Give us advance warning if you do, so I can save the [6]

EDIT:  Re your 12 Icons Idea, please note, there are no scowly ones, only smilies.

I suppose we could store some of these new scowly weeping ones in corsica?

That's odd Tresco, I get called an old winker quite regularly.[;)]

I can see James' wink OK. My preference would be to have the smile, laugh, wink (and probably the devil one and just a few others) for use within messages and ditch the rest.

I can see all the new icons

I can see him (old wink) now, nestling among those ugly interlopers. He looks like a little wren in a nest of cuckoos!

.[;--)] I've clicked on the drop down list.

arrrgggg;

Someone else try, not James with his super powers

Oh yes - I see we have both wink [;)] and old wink [;--)] in the drop-down list.

But I can see the red crossed box and 'Old wink [ ; -- ) ]' in the post icon list under the reply box.

Perhaps I should never have mentioned it, I have noticed the speed problem a few times on my regular computer, but it was only over the last couple of days when I've been connecting at odd times via a different modem (an internal one rather than my usual external job) that it has been really tedious. And thinking that plenty of people must be using the same sort of equipment I can imagine how frustrating it must get.

Edit - the Old Wink picture appears OK in the post icons when editing a post rather than replying - this is all getting much too complicated for me.

Whistles will do....[Www].

I actually noticed the speed difference so I think it was a good idea to remove some of them. The re-introduction of the old smilies (which are quarter of the size) will help speed as well.

And you still have the devil Tresco....[6]

I've kept the Beer [B] for the summer.