Posts since last visit?

edyth

Can anyone please tell me how to find new posts since my last visit. I can do unread posts, active posts etc. but I do not want to read all of these so next time I visit I get the same ones again all of which I do not want to read and so it goes on. I seem to remember you could "mark all posts as read" but I cannot find how to do this. There was also a "new posts since last visit" on the old layout.

Help - I just want to see what's new each time I visit. This long-winded method of trying to find new posts is putting me off visiting the forum.

At the very least, can we have the "mark all read" feature at the bottom of each secition available for the whole forum. If we had that we could just look at the "unread" ones.

Mind you, I tediously went through all the sections yesterday marking them as read.... and, you guessed it, they're coming up as unread today.

Fix, please?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't usually "do" grumpy on other people's fora; but 1. why do you bother with this feature if you're just going to ignore it. 2. I am about to pretty much bail out of here, because for someone like me who tries to keep up once a week or once a fortnight, I just can't without some form of tracking.

Well, Betmont, that's a magnificent dummyspit, but I've never assumed that this section is here for users to make demands on Forum Admin that they either meet or we stomp off in a huff. Or an hour and a huff.

I imagine (as could you with a bit of thought) that if the feature you want isn't there it is because it isn't supported by this software. And stamping the delicately sandalled isn't going to put it there, is it? That would mean rewriting the software, and that isn't going to happen just to keep you on the forum.

But I'm sure you have already worked all of that out for yourself.

(And how asking nicely is more likely to get you what you want. And what do you mean by 'other people's fora'?)

It is something other people get irked by, and I think there is another upgrade in the offing.

Betmont as an infrequent visitor may not know that Admin has been off work sick, and the mods have been busy 'elsewhere' recently.

Thank you Tresco, for that information.

I must admit to feeling somewhat tee'd off by this (tho' not by you, to be clear). I don't think once or twice a fortnight is THAT infrequent. I suspect the main reason I do not visit more frequently is because I find the functionality difficult. The little information under my name says I joined in September 2004; but of course, I didn't. i joined some years before that, but the second last upgrade spat out my "persona", and I had to re-register with anither name.

I didn't know that Admin had been off sick, and I apologise to that individual if this seemed like a dig at him or her. I see from a post on the 27th, that they are alive and kicking, for which much thanks.

BUT; 1. It would have been easy to post something to say that, but no-one did.

2. I have no way of knowing the Mods have been busy elsewhere. I assume they are volunteers, however, which means that a software issue can hardly be their fault/responsibility

3. I am at a loss to know why a function like this would be put on a forum like this if it's not going to be tended. Surely bound to cause frustration

As to Mr Smith's remarkable posting, might I point out that the TITLE of this section is:-

"Ideas and problems regarding the Complete France forum". I'm not sure that I made a demand, and it doesn't seem unreasonable to advise of and request a fix for a function which isn't working. I'm not taking a huff; just taking a "life's too short" view. About a problem/issue I originally raised a year ago.

I'm clearly not key to the functioning of the forum; but clearly neither is a little common courtesy. Why invite comment and queries, only to ignore them?

There was me thinking tha my request last year, was polite; and I didn't think I was being nasty at the beginning of this post.

And, lastly, I take the view that this facility is provided, free of charge. And, within limitations, I'm grateful for that, and not inclined to "demand" that it be varied. Which is why I'm off. As I said, life's too short. And you, Mr Smith, are too rude.

(And how asking nicely is more likely to get you what you want. And what do you mean by 'other people's fora'?)