Whats wrong with this forum

Val_2

Every time I come on here, there are no postings since yesterday and I know there are new ones by pressing on the last post/name colum but then cannot go anywhere else. Is anyone else having problems and what can I do to rectify the problem of coming on here each time and automatically seeing the latest postings.

Val

I haven't had the same problem as you, but just the last few days have had a couple of other problems, one being locked out, and another being just the banner headings (adverts) loading, but nothing else, when I click on a topic.

Then there are other strange things going on, like Dotty O's and Christine A's Avatars mysteriously swapping over and back again (unless that was a joke?).

I'm quite relieved that other people are having problems too. James had a check for me on Friday and could find nothing wrong. I became convinced that it was my computer, except I eventually realised that these things happen only on this site.

Hoddy

Val, I thought it was a "feature" of the new software.

It always tells me that, say, the Pets section has no new posts since yesterday, but if you go into that section you can see that there have been.

I've just learned not to trust it, it's just badly-designed software.

zeb wrote

".....and it really isn't compatable with my pretty little iMac!"

I've noticed these comments quite often from Mac drivers. I don't find any difference between my Mac Mini, with Safari, and Windows, with IE, when it comes to using this forum.

Is the problem to do with the vintage of the OS or the browser? Maybe you need to download a later version of your browser -- I know IE for the Mac has now been discontinued by MS, but there are other options. Try looking at

http://darrel.knutson.com/mac/www/browsers.html

Today is tuesday and I still cannot log out or get the latest replies to come up. Everytime I come onto the forum it says logged in but when I go to reply to a posting, I have to sign in. Is anyone else having the same problems or is there something somewhere I can press to start over and get all the current postings and replies to come up.

Hi All,

I havel moved this to the website forum section.

The way the system is set up, the homepage only refreshes every 10 minutes, so the new posts will take 10 minutes to appear, they will however appear in 'active' and the subforms and threads themselves. This is to improve the performance as the system only has to look for new changes once every 10 mins rather than all the time.

Hi Val,

It sounds like it's some setting on your machine. It could be a caching problem, have you changed your internet settings? Are you accepting cookies from the site?

Using this forum with Macs - I use a G5 and a G4 Powerbook, both with Safari and Firefox. Safari is a bit more professional, but Firefox allows features like uploading pictures of kittens or fluffy bunnies. Apart from that, no problems whatsoever, so your gorgeous iMac or sexy Mac Mini should work ace-a-lino. Perhaps this should be noted somewhere in the FAQs? We seem to have a number of Mac users nowadays (groovy).

Anyone using an Intel Mac yet?

Val It would appear to be your computer, mine says for your last post

by Val_2 
Today, 12:55

It would seem as James has suggested that your PC is looking at an old file when it goes to LF.  Try in internet explorer/tools/internet options/delete files/delete offline content/OK  While you are there go to settngs and make sure that you aere looking for new versions of stored pages "Automatically".

You couild also try logging  in to LF or if you are still logged in,  then save your log in page into your favourires replacing any old bookmark for LF . 

Sorry another question but why do I have suddenly delete,reply, quote and edit appear at the top of my postings, only reply and quote were ever there before. Admin - I don't understand computer language and words like caching and cookies mean nothing to me, perhaps you could explain.There isn't anything wrong with my machine as I can use all the other french type forums that are around with no problems today.

[quote user="Val_2"]Sorry another question but why do I have suddenly delete,reply, quote and edit appear at the top of my postings, only reply and quote were ever there before. Admin - I don't understand computer language and words like caching and cookies mean nothing to me, perhaps you could explain.There isn't anything wrong with my machine as I can use all the other french type forums that are around with no problems today.[/quote]

Hi Val.

Caching means that the page you are viewing on the internet has been saved automatically on your computer (for quick viewing if you view it again). It helps the speed of your browsing. If your computer is looking at a page that was saved yesterday the posts since then will not show up.

Cookies are a message file stored automatically on your machine and identify you. A message is then sent back to our server each time the browser requests a page from the forum. The main purpose of cookies is to identify users uniquely. If your computer is not accepting these cookies from our servers you will not be able to login correctly.

As you seem to be able to login to the forum OK I would agree with Ron's explanation of how to potentially get rid of this 'caching' problem.

Do you view the internet with Internet Explorer? If so go to the top menu, click on Tools then click 'internet options...' then 'delete files or 'delete offline content'. This will remove all the saved internet pages on your machine and force the computer to look for new pages.  Then on the same page go to 'settngs' and make sure that you are looking for new versions of stored pages "Automatically".

Then close Internet Explorer or press control and F5 key at the same time in Internet Explorer.

Let me know how you get on.