Private Messages

Just an announcement about Private Messages.

When you receive a Private Message (PM) within the forum you will also be sent an email notification. This notification also contains the Private Message but you will need to click on the link given in the email to reply. You cannot simply reply by email as this will not go to the person who sent the private message to you.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for bringing up this topic again as a result I have just found that a PM has been lying in my box since the 9 February. I have never received an emails advising of a PM, I have now change my settings. However, why is there no visible alert when entering this site that a PM has been sent?

Baz

I just found two I never knew about too!  I didn't realise that when the software changed, private messages was treated as a forum that you had to individually turn on notification emails for!  Its probably documented somewhere but I obviously never saw it. You can't tell if someone has viewed your message anymore either, as the messages and replies are treated like a forum thread and 'views' includes your own views.

[quote user="Debra"] You can't tell if someone has viewed your message anymore either, as the messages and replies are treated like a forum thread and 'views' includes your own views.[/quote]

Yes Debra, and I still find this aspect a bit un-nerving - that I receive a message, and it looks like it has been viewed by other people before I even got to it, and again after I have read it.

I think the forum has lost more than it gained in terms of useful functions, or even in the ways that it functions. We gained some speed, but the cost is high.

We were told long before this, when a new set up was being considered, that any new soft ware would be 'thoroughly tested'. ( I think I am right in using quotes, I don't want to check at the moment, but if someone really wants to challenge me on this I will do so). I would love to know who tested it, and to what extent

I find it better overall - just this one is a bit sticky.  I just found another message I missed that I didn't even get a notify on.  I guess its best to check the private messages forum regularly, even with the emails turned on. 

I used to have a lot of problems with searches and I never do now (apart from the already logged problem re seeing all a user's posts).  It also used to be very slow even on my new pc with broadband and I often got time-outs.  It's fast and doesn't time-out since the new software came in.  I don't think its a testing problem as I think it all works fine and so must have been tested thoroughly.  The user name thing may have been a conversion problem from the old system to this - as was the count of posts problem people have talked about.  The actual functionality seems as good as the old system and seems to work, as far as I can see.  Or have I missed lots of complaints somewhere??

Edit to see if the message changes position.....

No, I think your views  are probably more representative than mine.

Most people miss the 'posts since last visit' function I think, but like you most are happy with the change.

The things we lost or that have changed that irk me are:

Being able to see who's on-line; being able to read all a users posts, the old style pm system, the automatic/immediate 'appearance' of new posts, (the reason for this has been explained) the fact that if you edit a post it goes back to the top of the list, the fact that if someone replying to a thread enters a subject heading on their post, it changes the whole thread title and not just their post (when I realised this I  stopped doing it), the horrible gurners we have instead of the nice old smilies

I think I went to bed on the wrong side last night and got out on the wrong side this morning too!  

[quote user="Tresco"]

the fact that if you edit a post it goes back to the top of the list, the fact that if someone replying to a thread enters a subject heading on their post, it changes the whole thread title and not just their post [/quote]

I haven't noticed these things - might they have been glitches at first (when I was in France with a dodgy connection and so didn't sign on very often!) that have since been fixed?

I just confirmed that these things must have been because of settings that have since been changed.  I edited my old post and it stayed in the same position in the thread and put a title in on my last post and the thread title stayed the same.  There were probably quite a few settings to fiddle with after the changeover to make the software run in the way we're used to - and there may even be more to discover yet!

When you say see who is online, do you mean a whole list as opposed to an individual user indicated by that little bulb next to our names on a posting? If so, I never realised the old system did that (and obviously never needed to use it or I would have found it) so I haven't missed it!

Oh good if things are getting sorted, but I now see the thread title as 'Private messages - change of title'? when I roll the mouse over it.

Re the list of user names on line, I think I might be harking back to an even older version. Ignore me, I am a grumpy witch today;

Debra i've sent you a pm

[quote user="Tresco"] but I now see the thread title as 'Private messages - change of title'? when I roll the mouse over it.[/quote] Not sure where you mean as in the list of messages in this forum I still see the original title!  Gremlins??

• 1 month later...
I forgot what I said about checking private messages regularly and as a result I've missed another two pm's from a couple of days ago.  I guess its just as well I'm not a regular pmer!  Is this a known problem which is being dealt with?  (ie that the notifies for pm's don't seem to be working)