Photos: Intellectual Property Rights

Tresco

I've just come back to this, and I must say to Daryl or Elaine that there is a world of difference between an image being 'claimed' and used without the copyright owner's permission and what is usually a low-res publicity shot being used on a forum such as this. As has been said earlier there is unlikely to be any objection if it was a publicity photograph anyway. I'd love to see anyone enhance a 200 x 200 pixel 72dpi image for use in, say, a magazine half-page ad. That would take Photoshop From Krypton, I reckon.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]I've just come back to this, and I must say to Daryl or Elaine that there is a world of difference between an image being 'claimed' and used without the copyright owner's permission and what is usually a low-res publicity shot being used on a forum such as this. As has been said earlier there is unlikely to be any objection if it was a publicity photograph anyway. I'd love to see anyone enhance a 200 x 200 pixel 72dpi image for use in, say, a magazine half-page ad. That would take Photoshop From Krypton, I reckon.
[/quote]

It depends on your interpretation of low-res "publicity shot". The original copyright holder might think differently!

With regard to 200x200 pixel 72 dpi image enhancements, you can use Photoshop plus an additional Plug-In programme which will enhance quite nicely thank you.

Daryl

It may well do, but all the examples shown are at 72dpi!

All these programs depend on interpolation algorithms, and interpolation can never put in elements of a picture that were never there in the first place. I would like to see an actual-pixels sample of that raccoon upped from 1Mp to 7Mp - I reckon it would look awful.

And my first comment which started all of this was that you can't take a 200x200 72dpi website image and enhance it to a high-quality (7Mp+) half-page magazine ad. I've seen nothing that suggests anyone can do that.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]It may well do, but all the examples shown are at 72dpi!

All these programs depend on interpolation algorithms, and interpolation can never put in elements of a picture that were never there in the first place. I would like to see an actual-pixels sample of that raccoon upped from 1Mp to 7Mp - I reckon it would look awful.
And my first comment which started all of this was that you can't take a 200x200 72dpi website image and enhance it to a high-quality (7Mp+) half-page magazine ad. I've seen nothing that suggests anyone can do that.
[/quote]

I would like to see this package too....as far as I am aware such a package doesn't exist, if it does I would be interested in it for web to print publishing.

I shall rephrase my statement. The technology is available, subject to your expertise, an operating system with the ability to handle the complexity of the programme, and of course the budget to make the purchase in the first place.

Being unfamiliar with which version of Photoshop you are currently using or the platform you use, with Photoshop you have the ability to add pixels – upsampling, as well as reducing size and pixels – downsampling.

Within the image size dialog box, you’re offered 5 ways of interpolation i.e. adding new pixels to an image based on the colour values of the surrounding pixels.

Experiment but keep in mind frequent re-editing of JPEG’s will result in loss of detail.

Once you have achieved an improvement, introduce a third party plug-in to further enhance and complete.

Examples of third party plug-in applications include; SizeFixer SL, Pxl Smartscale, PhotoZoom Pro, Genuine Fractals PrintPro, Intellihance Pro.

There are also other programmes available such as Image Pro Plus and Lucia Forensic but as the costs involved are substantial, it is highly unlikely to appeal to the casual photographer.

I’ve never said one will achieve a 7 mega pixel image, however with the knowledge, patience, software, etc; one should be able to achieve something of note – other than a postage stamp!

Daryl 

Thanks for the info daryl-et-elaine - interesting.

For all:

Our websites do say on the terms and conditions pages:

Contributions
We are delighted to receive your contributions to our bulletin boards, chat rooms and the like but only on the basis that:

you warrant to us that all such contributions are lawful and not obscene, offensive, defamatory or infringe any rights of any third party and that you will indemnify us in respect of any breach of that warranty;