Dotty 1, 2 and 3 here

Unknown

Good evening all

I am having a terrible time with my log in.  It started last night.  I have subsequently had to reregister a further two times and frankly am all out of email addresses now.

I have contacted admin and as yet have no response.  Can someone tell me if the person. James I believe, looks at these sorts of problems on the weekend?

Desperate Dotty

Dotty, logout of the forum then, try deleting all your cookies.  If you're not sure how to do this, post back with which internet browser ( i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox etc.) you are using and someone will talk you through it.  Once you have deleted the cookies, open up the forum again and it will ask for your registered e-mail address and password again. Do this using the one you want to keep and hopefully you should login ok.

Tresco, no I don't usually log in and out, but last night I hit the wrong button.

Elsie, I use internet explorer, but frankly I'm too scared to log out for fear of never getting back on.  Why should I suddenly need to delete all of my cookies?

Ian, ha ha very funny, not.  This is driving me mad.

Dotty - is the email address you give 'live'. I know Quillan has tried to help with this too but I get the feeling he hadn't had a response.

Not sure about cookies ('cause I'm not technical) but I guess they are 'remembering' something that doesn't match with want you want to do.

James Admin works UK normal office hours, so not weekends , bank holidays etc.

Dotties (you choose which one)

Cookies are mini-programs which perform a variety of functions. They contain information and are kept on your computer. So when you log on to CF the server sends a message to your computer to see if you have a cookie which was set by the server the last time you logged on. The cookie then sends back your details and the server logs you on as you.

If you have your browser set to 'never receive cookies' (you can do that in Preferences) then you will have to log in every time.

If the cookie gets corrupted it will have the same effect.

Deleting all your cookies will solve the problem, because the next time you log in the server will send a new cookie request and the cookie will be set up ready for the next log-in.

HOWEVER if you delete all  your cookies you will break the link with any other sites you regularly use that require a log-in, such as Photobucket. If you visit a lot of sites like that, including eBay, you will have to log in again the next time you visit any of them, so the advice to delete yor cookies should not be given, or accepted, lightly.

What would be more helpful would be if the moderators could tell you which cookies to delete, rather than delete them all.

I hope this helps.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]
What would be more helpful would be if the moderators could tell you which cookies to delete, rather than delete them all.

[/quote]

I have just deleted my cookie for this site, [email protected][1].txt and it made me log in again.

To do the same, go to

C drive:

Documents and Settings

[whatever your login name is]

Cookies

and look for your login name followed by www.completefrance.txt like mine above.  Delete it/them and start again. That should do it.

[quote user="AnnM"]How embarrassing.  I think I'll retire whence I came![/quote]

AnnM

I echo Dick's sentiments - your advice was v helpful. I have always wanted to know how to find my cookies, never mind delete them - and now I know! So, thanks from me and thanks from him.

Sue [:D]

For heavens sake can't anybody do anything to get back Dotty.  She loves this forum, her hubby is back in the UK and it is her lifeline when the kids are in bed.  Cant somebody email her to give her instructions?

Someones life is on the line here and it will be a godamn shame if we cant pull it through.!!!! (in a corny American accent)

I suspect they have, but I'll try again.

I'm not saying that it is the case in this instance but it could be that Dotty has a spam filter that is thinks complete france mail is spam and rejects it, or her mail is going to a email address she doesn't check.............

I'll do my best

Oh Dear, me again.  DOTTY, if you can see us, Russethouse has tried emailing you but it got returned.  I have tried (nearly 2 hours ago) and so far so good.  If you can check your emails and mail me back at least then we have some contact.  I feel like Doris Stokes.

If Dotty did the quiz, at least we would all know she has not been eaten by Alsations.

We would also benefit from knowing how aware she is of the history of British Prime Ministers, the shape of Croissants, and what the subject of Lord Shaftsburys' first speech in Parliament was...[:-))]

http://my.funtrivia.com/tournament/Living-France-Quiz--Just-for-Fun-52151.html