strange happenings

Pip

Am I the only one having problems logging on to the LF site ?  Every time I try I just get  'Page unable to be displayed' message.  I managed to get through using Complete France which took me straight to LF forum but then I can't log off in the proper way.  Any help greatly appreciated !

It' almost certainly a "cookie" problem.  The best thing to do is  find your "cookie" folder - which you should be able to get to from your browser options - and delete all your cookies. Deleting them all will mean that you need to login with your details and password etc. again to all the sites or forums you use that require this, but if you select the "remember" option when doing so your computer will remember the details again for the future. Do this and you should find you will be able to log back in without any problem.

In general, it is good practice to delete all your cookies on a regular basis. Many people do this once a week but I certainly would recommend every two or three weeks at least. You will be surprised how many cookies your computer will accept from various sources, some of which are quite likely to be spyware or adware or simply collecting information about your web browsing. Sometimes the cookies which are used to provide automatic login to sites such as this can become corrupt which is why you can get problems logging in. Deleting them and starting again usually solves the problem and can generally help speed up your computer when browsing.

If you don't want to delete all your cookies (even though there is no good reason not to) then go to your cookie folder and delete the "Archant" cookie(s). This then should solve the problem with this site at least.

We've been down this route before.

Remember, if you delete all of your cookies you will lose automatic log-ons to everything from Complete France to Amazon to The Times. If you visit a lot of sites where you have a password entry you will have to reset that on every one the next time you visit that site. Could be a problem if you have used different passwords.

For my money it is a totally daft answer.

Instead, set your browser to tell you when a site requests a cookie and put it under manual control whether or not you accept it.

Well, in this instance Dick, your money is worthless. It may be inconvenient to have to log in again to all your frequently visited "member" sites but it can be a small price to pay for improved performance and security.

It is a well documented good practice to regularly delete all cookies on a pc.  I seem to recall that you are using a Mac so you don't have to put up with many of the security issues that we humble pc users have to deal with on a daily basis. 

Please don't simply write things off as "daft" when you clearly haven't got a clue what you are talking about as it can send out the wrong advice to people with a genuine problem.

Oooh - get him!

Actually, Elsie old fruit, I do know what I am talking about, reasonably well as it happens.

I reiterate, wiping out your cookies, if you subscribe to a number of sites, Amazon etc., is just plain daft. You've suggested this sort of thing before.

I expect I'll get a warning now...

Rather than wipe out ALL of your cookies you can go here

www.ccleaner.com

and D/L the free utility, it will allow you to easily select the cookies you want and the ones you don't want, has other useful abilities too, comes without spyware too. I have always thought that it would be possible for malicious software to somehow 'harvest' the cookies on youe PC and then use them to access/log in to sites as you..possible? That's why it is very important to keep ahead of the game with Antivirus and Firewall protection especially if you are on a high Speed connection....n'est pas?[:)]

Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to help me.  By a miracle it all seems to have rectified itself with very little input from me.  All in working order today ! [:D]

Hi

I couldn't log in either; it wasn't a cookie problem, and I agree with Dick that deleting ALL cookies is very much a last resort, you'll have to re-enter EVERY login you use on the web! Crazy suggestion!

As I say, I'm pretty sure this was nothing to do with cookies, but you can easily spot the relevant cookies if you need them; they'll have "archant", "completefrance" or "livingfrance" in the title - maybe James could give us a full list, for reference?

Glad you agree, JW. Elsie puts this forward every time!

And then I get beats for saying its daft - I wonder if you will...

(Giving advice "when you clearly haven't got a clue what you are talking about [as it] can send out the wrong advice to people with a genuine problem."  Yes, of course.)

[quote]

Glad you agree, JW. Elsie puts this forward every time.

And then I get beats for saying its daft - I wonder if you will...

(Giving advice "when you clearly haven't got a clue what you are

talking about [as it] can send out the wrong advice to people with a

genuine problem."  Yes, of course.) [/quote]

Oh damnation and blast Dick, I had a place warmed up on my old subs

bench for you, in case you did get the old one two, now you have gone and got

an ally who agrees with you !! [;-)]

[quote user="Pip"]Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to help me.  By a miracle it all seems to have rectified itself with very little input from me.  All in working order today ! [:D][/quote]

Same thing happened to me Pip - I think it was somesort of glitch - but I'm low tech .......I just know the link is working OK now.

It's been an intermittent problem with the servers for a while, or so we were told the last time this arose. Not really to do with cookies at all.

You do log off, but you will have the auto login enabled, which is why you need the cookies, not just for this site but every site you visit which is password protected or which recognises you as a return visitor.