Duplicate Names

Judie

I see that someone else has started posting as Will in one of the threads this week. I think it was something to do with gites.

As this is the user name of my husband, I was just wondering why the forum allows duplicate names. Surely this could lead to some confusion.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Judie

Not the first time this has happened - in theory it should be possible to screen out duplicates, but whether it is an easy thing to do obviously depends whether it is a standard feature on the forum software.

I presume hubby is Will the dog?  Are you sitting in a saucer or wearing a big Elizabethan collar?

James has been made aware of this.  In theory, the forum software shouldn't allow it but, in this case, it may have something to do with the fact that Will (the first) changed his screen name a short while ago from Will the Conq. so we think the forum software may not be able to cope with this.

Will (the second) has been asked if he would mind changing his screen name to Will2.

Aah, but I changed to Will the Conq from another user name, and when my circumstances changed on the forum I abbreviated it.

I would be nice to have an alter ego - I could blame him for my various faux pas and antisocial behaviour.

Judie's cat is in fact sitting in a bowl and sticking his head too near the camera. His name is Arthur, unfortunately he disappeared a few months ago so if anybody finds a white cat in a bowl perhaps they could let us know. The dog (Alfie) is really Judie's too. He's more photogenic than the labrador which Judie says is mine, though when any of the animals misbehave they become mine.

[quote user="Cassis"]Not the first time this has happened - in theory it should be possible to screen out duplicates, but whether it is an easy thing to do obviously depends whether it is a standard feature on the forum software.

I presume hubby is Will the dog?  Are you sitting in a saucer or wearing a big Elizabethan collar?
[/quote]

Had a heavy night and looking and laughing.  Cheers Soldier.

[quote user="Will "]

Aah, but I changed to Will the Conq from another user name, and when my circumstances changed on the forum I abbreviated it.

[/quote]

You can do that?  Why didn't your message count return to zero and your date of joining get reset?  I realised you were Will the Conqueror but I thought I'd maybe seen the other name on another forum, not here.

Cassis, the system uses your registered e-mail address rather than your user name. So as long as you keep the same e-mail address, you keep all of your details even if you change your user name. The exception is when there has been a software change and some member details have been lost in the changeover, when everything goes back to zero. It's also why it is difficult to change your e-mail address for the forum. When I was a mod I managed to do it for a couple of users, but it wasn't easy - I can't remember quite what was involved - and a lot could go wrong.

Incidentally another of our cats is called Cassis (one of the nicest we have, and one of the few tortoiseshells I have known who likes humans, dogs, even other cats). What with Miki and Twinkle, this forum is beginning to resemble a cattery.  We had a KK too (nearly KKK) but he is another who disappeared. KK stood for Killer Kitten.

[quote user="Judie"][quote user="Will "]

though when any of the animals misbehave they become mine.

[/quote]

Not true, Mr T, as you very well know

[/quote]

Not only the O family that have domestics then!?