Location of Members

Gardian

Having just responded to something from a fellow 'Southerner', I was just wondering whether James could tell us (roughly) what the % is of North / Mids / South members is?

It depends of course on your definition of the above, but .............

I'll bet that we're in the minority, but maybe just quieter.  

But which country ?

In France I am based very cloise to the Spanish border, and furhter south than many think of as the South of France.

In England I live in the Midlands.

In my heart I am still a Northerner (of the Yorkshire variety).

But which country ?

In France I am based very close to the Spanish border, and further south than many think of as the South of France.

In England I live in the Midlands.

In my heart I am still a Northerner (of the Yorkshire variety).

Oh, err, how to define where is what? In UK I think I'm a Northern Southerner,or a Southern Midlander ( between Oxford and Birmingham ). In France I'm 50 miles North of Bordeaux so maybe a Southern Midlander or a Northern Southerner-  a pattern seems to be emerging here ! [Www]

I started out as a Northener in England (Blaydon, near Newcastle) then moved to Bromley in Kent to work in London, whereafter I was regarded as a Southern Softie whenever I went back north - mainly because I no longer regarded a T-shirt as adequate insulation in midwinter when going up the Toon on a Friday and Saturday night.  Now I've moved even further south but I guess I'm classed as a North-westerner on this forum.  I still feel like a Geordie at heart.

Unfortunately the part of the forum we actually see is part of a much bigger database that encompasses all the forums run by Archant hence its large membership so any statistics of area would be rather meaningless and give a totally false impression.

Actually I have some snazzy new software that will give an indication:

% of forum users by region for month:

1.Poitou-Charentes21.1%
2.Ile-De-France20.6%
3.Aquitaine12.0%
4.Midi-Pyrenees8.6%
5.Bretagne8.0%
6.Languedoc-Roussillon6.5%
7.Pas De La Loire5.7%
8.Rhone-Alpes4.8%
9.Basse-Normandie4.4%
10.Centre2.2%
11.Provence-Alpes-Cote D'zur1.6%
12.Haute-Normandie1.3%
13.Norde-Pas-De-Calais1.0%
14.Bourgogne0.8%
15.Picardie0.6%
16.Auvergne0.5%
17.Alsace0.2%
18.Champagne-Ardenne0.2%
19.Lorraine0.0%

Champagne is a very select area chosen by those with bon goût.  I have had some lovely stays in your region.

Not many members in Alsace and Lorraine, either, which are also brilliant.

So James - can you tell us how many visitors the percentages are based on?

After Poitou-Charentes at the top                                             Wa-hay !     

Il-de-France is second, yet there don't seem to be many posters from there (I can't think of one).  Does this mean that the Ile-de-France are lurkers ?

Maybe they are lurking from their bureaux en région parisienne, but wishing they could be lurching on the beaches of Poitou-Charentes, Normandie, Aquitaine...

It would be nice if they could let us know...   [:)]

Edit : Thank goodness you have got rid of that old head Cassis,  which beach did you catch that fish on?  The lurchers might like to know.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Il-de-France is second, yet there don't seem to be many posters from there (I can't think of one).  Does this mean that the Ile-de-France are lurkers ?

[/quote]

They're probably Parisien governmental lurkers checking up on what we, (the ex-pats) are doing  / talking about.

How are peoples' location established. there is nothing on the forum asking where you are from but there must be some method used to get these figures.

I hope its not the IP address reported node as this can give very "variable" results depending on ISP. I tend to end-up being recoded as an IP address from Nantes or from Paris (both of wich are rather a long way away from where I live).

Ian

"They're probably Parisien governmental lurkers checking up on what we, (the ex-pats) are doing  / talking about."

Hmmm........

"Where can I get my Marmite, do line dancing, will my French neighbours appreciate my Yorkshire pudding..."