Long URLs screw up the page view

Cassis

Just a reminder that if you post a large URL in a message then it pushes the page width out to match the length of the URL.

There is a good example of it in this current thread:

WOW!  Look how wide this page is!!!!

Unless the poster has gone back and edited their message between my posting this and your clicking the link, you will see that the long URL makes the page hard to read as you have to keep scrolling backwards and forwards across the page.

Here's another one!!!

There is no need for this - all you have to do is to type in a phrase, highlight it then click on the link icon above the message box and insert the link there.  This keeps the page to a normal width and makes it much more reader-friendly.

I shall now climb down off my hobby-horse.

[geek]

[quote user="Juswundrin"]Or for those of us who don't get to see the 'link icon', there's always:

http://makeashorterlink.com/index.php[/quote]

There's a similar site to this where you don't need even to paste the URL that you want to shorten into a box - it is at:

TinyURL!

If you scroll halfway down the page you can drag a shortcut into your shortcuts toolbar, then whenever you are on a page with a long URL you can click on the Tiny link and it will give you the short version.  It even copies the shortened URL to your clipboard ready to paste.

"Is that because you're in IE7? It's a nuisance, isn't it? You lose the functionality of half the forum tools in Explorer7"

I'm surprised at that; I thought this forum software was a Microsoft product?

No, I'm using Opera 9 (Mac)... no link icon, no smilies, no quote function...

• 4 weeks later...

"...all you have to do is to type in a phrase, highlight it then click on the link icon above the message box and insert the link there. " Cassis

Sorry Cassis, I just don't understand. Where do you type the phrase or word that is to take the place of the long link?